Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT So what is up with "drifting"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
So you take a turbo'd car with about 1000hp and burn the tires off it. It that a sport? Ok, they can control thier car in a cloud of smoke.
Big deal. confused24.gif

Someone explain this to me.
redshift
To me, the only sport that is a real sport is chasing an animal to kill it.

smile.gif

M
Joe Ricard
Got to be the lamest thing I have ever seen.

get a "rice car" put all the wings and fins and low profile ill fitting tires on the shiniest gawdyiest rims you can find. Cut the springs till the body rides on bump stops.

Suddenly you realize that your car isn't fast nor can it handle any lateral G's.

Hey it is now a competition to see who has the least amount of traction. and can power slide all over the place.

My buddies and I used to take my 74 Chevy Impala out in the frozen parking lots and do this same thing. burnout.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
O.K. You guys ready for this:
In two years of gathering E-mails of 914 's in the Mid West for The Mid West 914 Calssic I have gathered 181 E-mails of 914 in my market area . Mid West and Ontario Prov. 60 of them are in the State of MICHIGAN
So California has a bit to go

And i am sure that I do not have all the teeners in the Mid West just interesting info Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
grayson
I had a conversation with a Honda fan. He was of the idea that the Boxster handled poorly compared to the S2000 because it didnt drift nearly as well since the tires were wider and had more understeer.

I dont understand the zeal people have to buy a car with no torque or grip and throw all that money at it, when they could just buy an old 911 go twice as fast as most modern "muscle" or japanese cars and still have mostly stock parts.

Then again sometimes style really appeals to that sub-culture, maybe the way their car looks makes up for the engine and handling.
DrifterJay
BULL MOTHER FUCKING SHIT!!!
The Experienced Drivers Have more skill than you could possibly ever imagine. Have some respect drifters. Most are trying to break the image of "RICERS" They are not little punks driving around in 100hp civics pulling the ebrakes. A real drifter uses a rwd import car, Typically an RX-7, 240sx (Silvia), or the larger powerful skyline. Most driftcars have the same, if not more than any 100,000 dollar motor in lemans cars. For way less. Drifting is a very respectable sport/hobby. Being able to maintain a drift for 200ft while traveling 60mph and being able to control the car keeping it inches from the guardrail while setting yourself up to do it all over again for the next turn takes more skill than some dumb kids in an impala playing around. I Dont know. Nevermind. mad.gif
Jared
DrifterJay
You guys sound no better than the rednecks on old muscle car sites bitching about imports.
Brad Roberts
Easy there Jared....your looking at a 30 year generation gap for most of the people responding (compared to your age.) Drifting is just now hitting the states... it will be awhile before it is "accepted". SCCA has already started putting together events that focus on Drifting.

It is real big in Europe... and yes all the Porsche tuners over there compete at the "Tuner" events.

B
Brad Roberts
Jared,

in a situation like this (this thread)... educate the people in what drifting is.. dont go off on them. I dont know enough about it to exlpain it.. but your point will be better taken if you explain in a "softer" tone.

B
DrifterJay
I know, lol. I was thinking the same thing as I Wrote it. Sorry...Will watch my mouth next time... wink.gif
Jared.

finger.gif

kidding...
Brad Roberts
No need to watch your mouth.. that is for your MOM..LOL

Give us some links.. show us some pics...

B
DrifterJay
I will start a thread sometime soon on drifting to explain the sport on a better note...
redshift
If it happens in a big circle, I don't want to hear it.

smilie_pokal.gif

M
Dave_Darling
Isn't drifting kind of like figure skating for cars? Sorta-kinda?

The object is to put the car sideways for as long as possible, at a good clip, and with as much style and panache as is possible. Judges rate you, so the scoring is mostly subjective.

Definitely a different type of motor sport than "who gets across the finish line first wins"!!

--DD
Bruce Allert
I have more damned fun when I'm going into a corner too hot at the AX. I know I won't make the turn at the proper point so I just nail it and start a drift. The teener really has a great feeling of control when sliding or drifting. It makes for higher times but WTF... I'm having the time of my life out there driving.gif As soon as I get some more seat time I'll know when & where to brake & hit all the right spots. Until then I'll be just a drift'n burnout.gif

Those drift movies that were posted a few months back show some pretty skilled driving. I was amazed.
J P Stein
What them boys are doing is more akin to WOO sprinters
than to "drifting" (in the classical sense).....It's a power slide. One can do the same thing with a front driver, but the front tires slide and it don't look as cool. laugh.gif

Back in the pre-wing days...yup, I'm that old.....I saw artists "4 wheel drift" and that is (or was) the quick way around.
URY914
I agree that it is like figure skating or a car show. Some panel of judges picks the winner. You don't cross the finish line first or set the lowest time.

But you are driving around a course, so its an autocross without a clock and a car show combined.

And Jared, take it easy man, this is an open disscussion. If you can get a 914 to drift, more power to ya! clap56.gif

Paul
ss6
It's kind of a rush the first (or 100th) time you find yourself in a corner way too hot, the back end has stepped out on you, and you're correcting enough to stay on the pavement but not too much to snap spin the other way. Drifting just tries to maximize that feeling. Ah, memories of snowy parking lots with the old Camaro...

Just another way to have fun with your car, it's not always about points, times, or back seat boogie.
rick 918-S
My 16 year old and his friends talk about it all the time. They pile into my sons office and down load videos of the stuff. They play them and laugh and giggle like when they were ten and had too much soda. lol3.gif chatsmiley.gif lol2.gif lol3.gif It's not racing, or a contest of traction. It seems to be like ballroom dancing. the driver leads the car follows. Some times (allot of the time) toes get stepped on. (and broke!) I must admit, I've done it in a couple of my BMW's. It's a real challange to keep the rear out of shape but not come around.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 26 2003, 10:30 PM)
....................SCCA has already started putting together events that focus on Drifting..................................

Not always intentionally, B-Mod at our last autocross looked like a drifting contest. There ain't that many figure 8's on Infinity's webpage.

headbang.gif
VegasRacer
If it turns petrol-fuel into noise - I like it.
If it has tits or tires - I like it.
mike_the_man
I don't know too much about it, but from the few video's I have seen, it looks pretty impressive. It's not racing if it has to be judged, but there's no denying that the drivers are very skilled. While it may not appeal to everybody, you have to appreciate the skill involved.
bernbomb914
I saw a video clip for drifting on TV at california speedway last month where Japanise drivers were giving a demo where three cars would drift side by side at very close quarters. There were thousands of spectators and showed how much interest there is in drifting.

Bernie
rhodyguy
the videos from japan of the hot shots drifting are alot dif than the the ones on supertuner and that nopi show. the demo's in the states aren't the real deal. deserted industrial areas and the like and the boys get wild. they can handle their cars. their tire budgets must be steep.

kevin
redshift
I speed on public roads.

I also drifted the otherday on a crowded city street, just trying to give some asshole in an SUV the 'bidness' for about killing 10 other people by slamming on brakes at a green light, and then double-parking in an intesection!

Wet street, hard tires, misty rain, unexpected U-turn.

smile.gif

I ended up in the other lane, facing the other way.. I decided that was the best way to go, and turned on my right signal.

M
need4speed
I've never done it in a real car.
But it's a JOY in a go-kart, I'll tell you that much.

I thought we had a bunch of go-kart people here. . .
Bruce Allert
I luv go karts.. 'specially the F A S T ones burnout.gif

..............b
need4speed
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Nov 28 2003, 10:33 AM)
I luv go karts.. 'specially the F A S T ones burnout.gif

..............b

Everyone with a Malibu Grand Prix racing license in your wallet, raise your hand. . . aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.