Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Californians - Here we go again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marv's3.6six
Pass this on to anyone who's interested.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

California Introduces Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests
for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older

Here we go again! Legislation (A.B. 616) has been introduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Assemblyman Jones and members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 616

A.B. 616 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 616 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 616 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 616 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 616 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.
Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 616.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to stevem@sema.org. Thank you for your assistance.

Assembly Transportation Committee

Pedro Nava, Chair
Telephone: (916) 319-2035
Fax: (916) 319-2135
Email: Assemblymember.nava@assembly.ca.gov

Michael D. Duvall, Vice-Chair
Telephone: (916) 319-2072
Fax: (916) 319-2172
Email: Assemblymember.Duvall@assembly.ca.gov

Wilma Amina Carter
Telephone: (916) 319-2062
Fax: (916) 319-2162
Email: Assemblymember.Carter@assembly.ca.gov

Mike DeSaulnier
Telephone: (916) 319-2011
Fax: (916) 319-2111
Email: Assemblymember.DeSaulnier@assembly.ca.go v

Cathleen Galgiani
Tel: (916) 319-2017
Fax: (916) 319-2117
Email: Assemblymember.Galgiani@assembly.ca.gov

Martin Garrick
Telephone: (916) 319-2074
Fax: (916) 319-2174
Email: Assemblymember.Garrick@assembly.ca.gov

Shirley Horton
Telephone: (916) 319-2078
Email: Assemblymember.Shirley.Horton@assembly.c a.gov

Guy S. Houston
Telephone: (916) 319-2015
Fax: (916) 319-2115
Email: Assemblymember.Houston@assembly.ca.gov

Bob Huff
Telephone: (916) 319-2060
Fax: (916) 319-2160
Email: assemblymember.huff@assembly.ca.gov

Betty Karnette
Telephone: (916) 319-2054
Email: Assemblymember.Karnette@assembly.ca.gov

Anthony J. Portantino
Telephone: (916) 319-2044
Fax: (916) 319-2144
Email: assemblymember.Portantino@assembly.ca.go v

Ira Ruskin
Telephone: (916) 319 - 2021
Fax: (916) 319 – 2121
Email: Assemblymember.Ruskin@assembly.ca.gov

Jose Solorio
Telephone: (916) 319-2069
Fax: (916) 319-2169

Nell Soto
Telephone: (916) 319-2061
Fax: (916) 319-2161
Email: Assemblymember.Soto@assembly.ca.gov
BAM
Thank you for the post... I'll pass it on.

barf.gif Assembly members
effutuo101
Thank you for the post. It is amazing that the target is all of the late 70's through the early 90's cars that are gross polluters and they lump in vintage cars like ours. Lets try something new. Like oh, i don't know. enforcing the laws we currently have? Like, oh, I don't know, insurance? um, drug enforcement? um, about 3/4 of the laws on the books? oh, wait, I forgot, this is designed to drive up revenue and entice people to sell their older cars and buy new ones and make payments. ok rant over. On the plus side, this will get rid of all of the 83-86 Monte Carlo's with 26' rims on them...
These laws are like the people who write them... defeat this law please.
Hammy
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 8 2007, 11:29 PM) *

On the plus side, this will get rid of all of the 83-86 Monte Carlo's with 26' rims on them...

laugh.gif Werd up.
sj914
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 8 2007, 10:49 PM) *

Pass this on to anyone who's interested.

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

California Introduces Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests
for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older

Here we go again! Legislation (A.B. 616) has been introduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 616. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee.

If I read this quote correctly, cars 15yrs or older would need to get an annual smog, but if it's a pre-1976 it would still be exempt. Isn't that what the current law is supposed to be doing already?
BiG bOgGs
Sounds to me like there might be a lot of Cali 914s available to the other 49 if this passes. happy11.gif

Sorry guys, just tring to see the silver lining. bye1.gif

Jim
Rusty
What is the emissions requirement now? Cars that are 1976 and newer are required to be tested every other year?

Sounds like a revenue generating scheme to me, but who knows? confused24.gif
Gary
Looks to me like this would mandate annual smog checks for 1976-1992 cars to start, then 1976-1993, etc. as the years go by.

As a slight side comment, it seems like eighty's and new vehicles would be easier to keep smogged as there were fewer shenanigans to the emissions equipment. You don't find air pumps, thermal reactors, etc. to make up for the poor emissions characteristics of carbed or mechanically injected motors.
jr91472
I am not sure about CA laws, but is there any type of Antique Car classification that would give you a loophole?

From the rest of us: good luck and give em hell!! ar15.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 9 2007, 01:49 AM) *

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

California Introduces Bill to Require ANAL Emissions Tests

Wow. California is really messed up. blink.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(balljoint @ Mar 9 2007, 06:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Marv's3.6six @ Mar 9 2007, 01:49 AM) *

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
California Introduces Bill to Require ANAL Emissions Tests

Wow. California is really messed up. blink.gif

stromberg.gif stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
Well, if it passes at least you East Coast guys and gals will get your hands on somemore rust free tubs smoke.gif
ahdoman
Usually when these things happen one of the motoring clubs lawyers generates a form letter that can be sent to the names listed. Anyone seen one yet? If so, post it so it makes it easy for us to dispute this stuff.
Tobra
MFing Dave Jones, he is the same one that wants to give everybody $500 when they have a kid, some nonsense about promoting saving. This is just making a semi annual tax an annual one.

Time to mount the attack by electronic mail, writing, not hacking

Yes, Kalifornia is messed up, I sold the car I took my driving test in last time they changed the law. A lot of the emmissions stuff is by county, I believe you could circumvent by getting a PO box there.

For example:

The anal emmissions things is only in San Francisco County
KaptKaos
Make sure that you tell them that this is a regressive tax on the poor. Tell them that poorer people generally buy older cars, as that is all that they can afford. Asking them to pay additional inspection fees is a regressive tax that impacts them hardest. Rich folks that buy a new car every few years will not have to pay this tax.

Mike D.
Did anyone look this up? dry.gif
The only place I find this smog info is in other car forums.

I looked in ca.gov web site and AB 616 is a smoking in public areas ban, patios, doorways, etc. And it's from 2005...

EDIT: ok - I did find something, looks legit

AB 616 from ca.gov site

sounds like they want to change the every two year smog check to every year on cars 1976 to 1993 (law takes effect in 2008) - exempt cars are still exempt -
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Mar 9 2007, 11:59 AM) *

Did anyone look this up? dry.gif
The only place I find this smog info is in other car forums.

I looked in ca.gov web site and AB 616 is a smoking in public areas ban, patios, doorways, etc. And it's from 2005...

EDIT: ok - I did find something, looks legit

AB 616 from ca.gov site

sounds like they want to change the every two year smog check to every year on cars 1976 to 1993 (law takes effect in 2008) - exempt cars are still exempt -

It's people like you who take the wind out of the sails of kneejerk reactions! Shame on you. Next thing you know, they'll be expected to read, and maybe even understand, the posts before lashing out!

On the subject of California's reputation for being the land of high fees and strict smog (and other) laws, AZ's annual registration is DOUBLE ours.

Perhaps we could rid the streets of middle aged cars by requiring that all non dealer sales be transacted in the presence of a DMV or CHP notary. They did that iin Virginia when I lived there. I believe DC required notarization of car sales as well. No driver's license, no title, no transaction. Coupled with the seizure of any vehicle driven by an unlicensed and/or uninsured operator, we'd see a HUGE drop in traffic, hit and runs, and emissions levels.
Brando
This wouldn't affect me or any other 1975<* CA teener owner. This would suck for people owning older cars... but chances are, if you own an older sports car that can still pass smog every two years, you're in a financial position enough to still maintain them and pass emissions testing. And if you're a collector, you've more than likely already got historical vehicle registration and insurance, which exempts you from annual/bi-annual emissions testing.

But, I'm still a gross polluter.

I don't think this is the proper way to push older vehicles off the road. It is usually car companies that back this kind of legislature. Once those older cars can't be kept on the road -- illegalize them so they have to buy new cars that are exempt for a few years. Couple that with cars that are engineered to be disposable after 5 years, and you've sustained your income quite well as an auto manufacturer. Only major names like Porsche, Ferarri, Lambo etc who make cars to last more than 4 might still be on the road then.
drive-ability
I don't worry about that theres not much to getting my car to pass. driving.gif
Jake Raby
Damn... I am so glad that I live in the country!
John
Can't you guys just get a PO Box in Texas and register your cars there?

anthony
For those that don't read, this does't affect 914s that are already exempt. It means that those in CA with a '76 914 will have to get annual instead of bi-annual smog checks.

This is pure and simple a tax increase put on the backs of those that can't afford newer cars. For those of us with classic cars from the 1980s, it is no threat to the hobby. My cars pass smog every two years with flying colors so there is no reason they won't pass every year. This bill will not clean the air.

Perhaps we could rid the streets of middle aged cars by requiring that all non dealer sales be transacted in the presence of a DMV or CHP notary. They did that iin Virginia when I lived there. I believe DC required notarization of car sales as well. No driver's license, no title, no transaction. Coupled with the seizure of any vehicle driven by an unlicensed and/or uninsured operator, we'd see a HUGE drop in traffic, hit and runs, and emissions levels.

I'll all for that! That would get a lot of scum bags off the roads.
jimtab
If you don't like the stuff this asshole keeps coming up with...put your money where your mouth is...send money to his opponent in the next election and let him/her know why you're doing it....how the fuck do you think this system works anyway....it's the golden rule...if ya got the gold...ya make the rules...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.