Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sun Visor Recovering...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
There is a place very near my house, in a little business park that does all types of upholstery. I've driven by it every day for the past few weeks, and today I was off of work early so I decided to stop by and see what he could do about my warped, and nasty sun-visors.

I pulled in and asked him if he was able to do sun visors. He wanted to know what they were on and what they needed to look like, so we went outside and I introduced him to Das Weibchen. After a couple minutes of (very merited) admiration of my car, he looked at the sun visors.

He took me inside to show me what he had done with other visors, and said that he could recondition them with a firm/hard board inside and make them look better than new.

After looking at his work (top quality on the items he showed me), I braced myself and asked the price.

$25.00 per visor! To me that sounded like an EXCELLENT deal, so I said YUP, and he immediately took the visors off, took my details and said they would be ready by next Tuesday.

As I know that this has been discussed by a number of people, I though I'd post and let people know...

I'll post some pictures (both before installation and after) of how they turned out.

Doug
nomore9one4
I have been in the upholstery business for 23 years. If they look good that is a fantastic price. smile.gif
Grelber
Get me the info, and I'll be over there this weekend. driving.gif

dagdal1967
QUOTE(Grelber @ Mar 9 2007, 03:51 PM) *

Get me the info, and I'll be over there this weekend. driving.gif

You might want to wait until mine are done to see how you like them. If you can't wait, I'll give you the details! cool.gif

I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get them back. As bad as mine were looking, anything will be an improvement.

Doug
jfort
If he is willing to do others, please put contact info in this thread and count me in
Eric_Shea
Get me the info, and I'll be over there this weekend. wink.gif
markb
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 9 2007, 03:48 PM) *

If he is willing to do others, please put contact info in this thread and count me in

agree.gif
I have some cores I could send you, you could make a buck or two here, and be doing a great service to a lot of us.
blitZ
Heck Yeah, I paid that much for some crappy used ones.
boxstr
I have about 50 pairs I would like to send for rehab, and recovery.
CCLIN914nation
messix
if it's ok with him please post contact info, i'd like to send mine down b4 summer.
Jerry
Well????? what happened??? where are the pics???? what is this guys address???
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Jerry @ Mar 20 2007, 01:38 PM) *

Well????? what happened??? where are the pics???? what is this guys address???

Sorry guys,

As you may have seen, I was out of circulation all last week due to my father's funeral.

Now that I'm back I went and picked them up and put them on. I'll take pictures tomorrow (wednesday) and post them here. I'll try to get as detailed high res pictures as I can post.

They turned out great. The quality of the vinyl is excellent and the craftmanship is very good. He used two pieces of thin "hard-board" between the vinyl and stitched them in too. The fit great, and are solid and work perfectly.

I talked to him and he said he would happily do the same for anyone I passed his info along to. I'll post his details along with the pics tomorrow night.

Sincerely,

One Very Pleased Customer! cool_shades.gif

Chris Pincetich
Wow, if only my sun visors were decent shape. The cover flap is peeling and the mirror is all perma-fogged.

I don't suppose the ones you had done had these issues delt with? Maybe? If so, I'm down to send this guys some more work beerchug.gif
evan
Sorry to hear about your father, man thats tough. To few are the memories. When things settle lets see the pics and info.
dagdal1967
Ok ... Here are the pics.

Just a note. When I took my visors in, the were in horrible condition. The mirror was cracked and the flap over the mirror was completely gone. Ron (the owner) asked me if I wanted to replace the mirror and re-do the flap. After thinking about it, I didn't really see the piont, so I said no.

The $50 price tag was to re-cover both visors and eliminate the mirror and flap all together.

I'm really pleased with outcome.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The Details.

RON CASH
CASH UPHOLSTERY
1325 Whitlock Lane, Suite 101
Carrollton, Texas 75006
www.cashupholstery.com
(972) 245-5744

AUTO Interiors
Leather seats
Convertible tops
Commercial Upholstery.
Gint
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Mar 20 2007, 03:32 PM) *
I talked to him and he said he would happily do the same for anyone I passed his info along to. I'll post his details along with the pics tomorrow night.

Sincerely,

One Very Pleased Customer! cool_shades.gif

Those are really nice!

Did you happen to ask him if he has a tolerance for shipping to receive visors from out of state customers? It would add a bit to his time to complete a set if you're shipping to him and he has to ship back out. I'm sure he may want to charge for handling. I would.
johannes
Looking good !

As I live in France, this won't be worth shipping ...
I want to do it myself as I have done the Headrests.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=69300

Can you post a picture from the other side ? ...
I wonder how he has done the stitching ... blink.gif
dagdal1967
icon_bump.gif for those who were waiting for pics.
johannes
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Mar 22 2007, 06:43 AM) *

icon_bump.gif for those who were waiting for pics.

I was awaiting more pictures from the other side of the sunvisor ...

BTW this company also does sunvisors ... and price seems to be OK
http://www.autosunvisors.com/
dagdal1967
QUOTE(johannes @ Mar 22 2007, 10:53 AM) *

I was awaiting more pictures from the other side of the sunvisor ...

I'll try to get a picture of the other side tonight.

Doug
akellym
I like mine with the seamless look biggrin.gif
bd1308
I dont have any.....

sad.gif

so I have to wear cool_shades.gif

britt.gif
johannes
I'll try to get a picture of the other side tonight.

Doug

popcorn[1].gif
IronHillRestorations
I did some extensive research on redoing visors about ten years ago. I looked at the hard insert approach and after some further research and soliciting some expert opinions, the hard board insert is a bad idea. That hard board has the potential of scalping you!!

There is a reason the factory visors have a (fairly soft) wire frame with no hard inner core. Next time you are in your 914 see how close those things are to your face! Granted we should all be wearing seat belts now, but product liability is a big issue these days and you could be buying trouble by selling a product with the potential for serious personal injury. At least that was the "expert opinion" that I got.

I investegated the OEM style route, and the only way to do that was to use, used cores and get tooling to heat seal the perimeter, at a cost in the $3000 range. An exact replica of the vinyl isn't available. I found one that was close in grain, but too shiney of a finish. I found one with the right finish but the grain wasn't right.

After considering all the options and the "thrifty nature" of 914'ers, I didn't figure the tooling expense would ever be recovered. How many 914'ers do you know that would pay $80-$100 for recovered sun visors?

I found that if you are very careful you can use an exacto knife and slit the visor along the forward seam and remove the wire core and the foam. You can then clean up the wire, cut new foam, and carefully weld the seam back with crazy glue. It takes time and patience, but it can be done.

In the course of doing this exercise I did purchase a set of visors, brand new from Porsche. At a price of around $400 for the set!!! They don't have a mirror, and the grain is not close the original visors!

YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.