Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: refinish a mirror?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I recently purchased a OEM Porsche 914 exterior mirror and it's in great shape on all the metal parts. However the mirror itself has brown spots on/in it that need to be cleaned up? By brown spots I mean dark brown areas where it looks like the "mirror finish" is gone? Can this be repaired? If no can the mirror glass be replaced? Thanks guys beerchug.gif
Tobra
Glass can be replaced. I got some convex glass that Martin Baker had made up that I glued over the top of it. To replace the glass, you will probably have to get the plastic piece tha holds it in, which would be a neat trick. If you have about $110, you can buy a new convex glass mirror from the stealership
StratPlayer
Yes the glass can be replaced, hard part is getting that trim piece around the glass out without messing it up. I usually start in one of the corners of the glass with a small screwdriver and gently get one of the corners of the trim above the mirror frame then work your way around the mirror with your screwdriver under the trim and it will come out. Take the glass to any glass shop and they will cut you a new piece.
markb
How about an interior miror? I got one of the thin ones in the 71 I just picked up, and it needs a new morror.
Eric_Shea
agree.gif with Mr. Jim, Stratplayer. He came by and told me that he followed McMark's thread on the subject but I was a bit reticent about taking a screwdriver and prying on 30 year old plastic (black trim piece). But...

I did exactly as Jim mentioned and worked my way around. In less than 1 minute I had two pieces of raw glass in my hands. They were amazingly pliable.

Now... not "any" glass shop will cut you a new one. Jim, I tried Technia Glass here in town and they said only Central would do it. I just took my two glass pieces over to Central Glass yesterday. I thought it was kinda pricey at $15 each but... they'll be new and one might be convex. confused24.gif

Anyway... Martin, if you're reading this, I opted to go this route and just get them done locally.

Want pics?
StratPlayer
Eric there is a glass shop here in Sugarhouse that will cut all you need. I sent an extra piece to brant along with his mirror, the glass is great. If you need any let me know and I will get you some.
watsonrx13
Very interesting discussion. Here in Tampa, FL, I had an interior mirror that began to discolor. I removed the glass and took it to a local glass shop. They absolutely refused to cut me a mirrored glass. mad.gif

I eventually found another interior mirror to replace it with....

Good luck...

-- Rob
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 10 2007, 12:30 PM) *

Yes the glass can be replaced, hard part is getting that trim piece around the glass out without messing it up. I usually start in one of the corners of the glass with a small screwdriver and gently get one of the corners of the trim above the mirror frame then work your way around the mirror with your screwdriver under the trim and it will come out. Take the glass to any glass shop and they will cut you a new piece.

stratplayer do you pry the trim piece up by placing the screwdriver between the glass and the trim? What holds the trim piece in? Are there locking tabs or something? I don't want to break it. Thanks
StratPlayer
Pressure is what holds that trim piece in place. Just work a small screwdriver underneath the trim, once you get a corner of the trim up the rest will come easily.
Eric_Shea
Eric there is a glass shop here in Sugarhouse that will cut all you need. I sent an extra piece to brant along with his mirror, the glass is great. If you need any let me know and I will get you some.

Too late... plus, if you do anymore shit for me I'll owe you my house or something! biggrin.gif

(how much did they charge?)
StratPlayer
They charged me about 20 bucks for 8 pieces.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Mar 10 2007, 08:14 PM) *

QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Mar 10 2007, 12:30 PM) *

stratplayer do you pry the trim piece up by placing the screwdriver between the glass and the trim? What holds the trim piece in? Are there locking tabs or something? I don't want to break it. Thanks

Assuming you have measurements for the glass, wouldn't it be easier to remove the plastic retainer if you broke the glass out of it?
StratPlayer
Yes if the glass is broken it makes removing the retainer much easier, still have to be gentle with it, its old, treat it with kid gloves. Remove all the broken glass first.
Johny Blackstain
AA sells replacement glass for mirrors... $26.95? Check the website & measure your mirror.

cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
They charged me about 20 bucks for 8 pieces.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh headbang.gif

I'm gonna call Monday and see if they can stop the order!
StratPlayer
Eric I'm sure I have a couple extra pieces of glass, I will give you a call, if I do and you can cancel the order I will drop the mirrors off to you.
rfuerst911sc
O.K. assuming I can get the trim piece off how do you remove the mirror?
So.Cal.914
Just about anyplace that does custom mirror work will make the pieces. It

would not be that hard but labor intensive, round cuts that tight are near

impossable you have to machine sand the shape.
Eric_Shea
O.K. assuming I can get the trim piece off how do you remove the mirror?

Tip it over. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.