Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chalon is Gone :(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
My long term project Chalon has been sold and delivery has taken place. He dropped off his project for my evaluation, I may wind up keeping it as my new project car. It does have potential, it also is/was a V8 project but has been sitting for 3 years outside in storage. I just ran the engine casting numbers to determine what it actually is. It comes back as a 350 Target Master/Goodwrench motor but the dipstick is on the passenger side which makes me think it is a new style block. The description says this "10066036...350...........2 or 4...Target Master/Goodwrench crate motor, 2-piece rear seal, "Hecho en Mexico".

It came with a complete new in box Renegade cooling system, H gear and Billet intermediate plate for the transmission, and a lot more work than I anticipated. The body looks like it was hit in the front end at one time but there is little to no rust on this car. He also dropped off a front sway bar for it as well. It has cookie cutter wheels on it all the way around with M calipers on the front. There is no glass but I have a rear window and both door glass in existing parts. He also has a complete 72 he wants to give me as well. I can probably get most of the parts I need from that car. What do you all think? Pictures for your viewing pleasure?
Twystd1
Take it Scott.

You know more about the Chalons than anyone I know.

And it's it good to see you posting... I miss your posts.

Cause you know more stuff about these cars than most.. We need your technical expertise. And your summer BBQs... I miss those.

OH... And before I forget... YUR UGLY...!!!!

Sending you some luv bro....

Clayton
Aaron Cox
i love the slant nose on it!

need some chrome bumpers?
skline
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2007, 02:36 PM) *

i love the slant nose on it!

need some chrome bumpers?

Got them already plus the 72 has them also. He will drop it off in a week or so. I will know more then. I will probably drop the engine and trans tomorrow to find out what clutch and stuff the original owner/converter used. The parts so far all say RH on them including the radiator that is already in the car. It looks like the original old style one they used before going to the Ron Davis one.
skline
Here is a picture of the installed Radiator, maybe someone who remembers the old ones from RH could speak up and let me know.

Aaron Cox
scott, looks good!

did this come from S.D.?
Joe Bob
Hecho en Mexico 350....I dub thee, "The Chalupa".......
'Cause
Not trying to hiJack this thread, but it seems you guys know something about the Chalons. Can anyone tell me what this is?

IPB Image

IPB Image
skline
QUOTE('Cause @ Mar 10 2007, 03:16 PM) *

Not trying to hiJack this thread, but it seems you guys know something about the Chalons. Can anyone tell me what this is?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yep! It's a Chalon MK1 original. The MKII had a different front bumper but other than that, they are the same car body. My other half liked your paint job also. Looks pretty good.
'Cause
QUOTE(skline @ Mar 10 2007, 04:27 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

Yep! It's a Chalon MK1 original. The MKII had a different front bumper but other than that, they are the same car body. My other half liked your paint job also. Looks pretty good.

A "MK1", would you have any idea of the year that body style was done? It's a '74 2.0. I have yet to find any rust with the exception of some light surface on the belly pan. The stripes are coming off, just tape someone added on. Also I intend to paint over the rockers, black... seemed a little blingish! Thanks...
Ken
Howard
Hey, Scott. How the hell are you?

Ken, I agree about the rockers. Really like the way the the wheel wells are radiused.
'Cause
Can you tell me the difference from this to the MKII front end?

(I really have been reluctant to post pics here, I know most don't care for the body mods! ...but it was this way when I picked it up around Xmas time)

IPB Image
'Cause
QUOTE(Howard @ Mar 10 2007, 04:53 PM) *

Ken, I agree about the rockers. Really like the way the the wheel wells are radiused.

Thanks,
I liked the look except for the tape stripes and the rockers, the car was just too clean to pass up. It kind of rounds out my others!
skline
Here is a picture of a MKII front end. The MKI is the early 911 front bumper and the MKII was the same except an air dam instead of a spoiler.

SirAndy

Can anyone tell me what this is?

ugly? confused24.gif

poke.gif biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Andy
skline
I was just out checking out the new car, I just found another plus on it. The car has the later 911 front suspension with the 3 1/2 inch spacing on the front calipers. Isnt that the one that allows me to go with the bigger 944 brakes?
Aaron Cox
944's are 3.75" spacing......

you CAN slot the ears an 1/8" each, and put em on a 3.5" strut... they require 16" wheels....

im doing boxsters smile.gif checketh my blogeth.

AA
skline
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2007, 04:31 PM) *

you CAN slot the ears an 1/8" each, and put em on a 3.5" strut... they require 16" wheels....

AA

Will the boxster calipers bolt right on? Are they 3.5 inch?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(skline @ Mar 10 2007, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 10 2007, 04:31 PM) *

AA

Will the boxster calipers bolt right on? Are they 3.5 inch?

nope. radial mount vs axial mount. require 300 buck adapters from TRE or other places and carerra rotors.....
skline
Thanks Aaron, any ideas on what big brakes I can put on this car? Give me something.............
Aaron Cox
the A calipers on there are pretty big already....

i think bmw has some 3.5" ate calipers.....
Joe Bob
What's wrong with "SC" calipers.....plenty around and they would bolt on....use an agressive pad.

BTW, I have an extra 915 trans laying around....$800....cash, no checks. blink.gif
skline
I got this stuff with it so I think for now, I will just go with this and see how it holds up.

tdsmoonchild
QUOTE('Cause @ Mar 10 2007, 05:16 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

What wheels are those? Four lugs right?
1bad914
I like the Chalupa, I am kind of partial to slope nose 914's. Is it metal or glass?
Eric_Shea
I have some 944 calipers for ya Scooter...

Good to see ya!

E.
skline
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 10 2007, 06:58 PM) *

I have some 944 calipers for ya Scooter...

Good to see ya!

E.

Let's talk Eric, I will send you a PM.
Gint
Hiya Scott! wavey.gif
skline
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 11 2007, 07:34 AM) *

Hiya Scott! wavey.gif

How goes it with you Mike, I may have to have a work party this spring or summer to get this car put back together, It is way more apart than I have ever had one. I also see a whole butt load of parts and stuff missing. All the little crap that without, you cant do much. dry.gif

welder.gif smash.gif help.gif
Gint
Shar's unemployed at the moment but otherwise everything's OK. I need to put a firewall shift rod bushing in the DD zambeziteen this afternoon. I'm missing driving my 914 in this awesome spring weather we have going on here now.
skline
It is supposed to be in the 90's today here, I am going out to pull the engine and trans out of the new project car so I can get the trans redone with the new parts and this will also let me know what clutch and PP the original builder used. I am hopeful for the 9" like the Chalon had but we will see. Apparently the original builder only built the car and never finished it so it was never driven or even started. There are so many little body parts missing. I went through all the boxes and there is no keys, no door latches or handles, targa top latches and a ton of other little crap missing. This could be a while. headbang.gif
skline
Good news this morning, I just sourced my new 327 block for the new car!! I am stoked. I have a perfect combination in mind for an engine but it requires a 327 block and crank. I found one local to me from a friend for $200. He has the complete engine out of a 65 Impala SS he replaced with a 350 a few months back. I am going to try to get over there and get it today. The combo I am going to build puts out 380 HP with a 7200 RPM RL. It should move this little car pretty good.
skline
Let me rephrase that, it peaks at 7200 with 380HP

I am actually excited about this. smile.gif
Brando
Holy crap scott... Well, you'll need 380hp peak to move that iron bucket around. I have a feeling this one isn't going to be 50% fiberglass like the old one smile.gif

If you's needin a hand, lemme know!
skline
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Mar 10 2007, 06:32 PM) *

I like the Chalupa, I am kind of partial to slope nose 914's. Is it metal or glass?

It's steel, I just got underneath to check it out and there are welds on the underside. Whoever did it, did a pretty decent job on it too.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(mikez @ Mar 10 2007, 04:05 PM) *

Hecho en Mexico 350....I dub thee, "The Chalupa".......

Mikez, how about "La Chupa Agua" (the water sucker)?
Brando
QUOTE(skline @ Mar 11 2007, 12:11 PM) *

QUOTE(1bad914 @ Mar 10 2007, 06:32 PM) *

It's steel, I just got underneath to check it out and there are welds on the underside. Whoever did it, did a pretty decent job on it too.
Looks like you're gettin a long stiffening kit for your b-day. Let's name this one the chasteelmower. laugh.gif
Crazyhippy
I'm 90% sure that is/was a camaro Radiator. Been used by lots of people, and it works ok, just not much safety room built into it.

E-mail Scott @ renegade (info@renegadehybrids.com) and ask, he'll know for sure.

How thick is the adapter plate? 1/2" or 5/8"?? (a box open wrench is an easy way to check)

380 HP is way over the suggested limit for the 901 trans... Keep a spare around. The hp coming so high up will help a bit, but might make low speed stuff suck.

I like it. Dont stick 200lbs of plastic on this one biggrin.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.