Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear brake rotor removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hi guys...trying to get a wheel bearing and brake job done on my 74. Is the castle nut holding on the stub axle supposed to be super tight or am I missing something? I've never had one put up this much of a fight but never have done a bearing/cv replacement either.

Thanks! - Jeremy
davep
I have a couple that I have not been able to remove. I guess they just need more heat and a bigger impact gun.
Bigbohr
Had one that I couldn't get off either. Had to get help of an impact wrench to get it loose. Even then the darn thing still put up a (very brief) fight before letting go.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 10 2007, 03:58 PM) *

I have a couple that I have not been able to remove. I guess they just need more heat and a bigger impact gun.

agree.gif Or a breaker bar and a long piece of pipe and lots of heat, a ox /acetylene or even mapp gas torch.
Twystd1
I keep an old 5 foot long piece of 2 inch galv pipe in my garage for just such occasion.

With a quality breaker bar and a propane torch. I can dam near flip a car over.

Go Home Depot and buy a stick of galv pipe. get a short one and long one.

You will have cheater bars for life.

And the short bar works bitchin for rolling fenders.....!!!!

C
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(1.8914 @ Mar 10 2007, 03:47 PM) *
Is the castle nut holding on the rotor supposed to be super tight or am I missing something?

I dunno, it's "only" spec'ed to about 250 lb-ft. Plus however much it takes to overcome the rust that holds the nut and stub together.

Plus however much it takes to break the cotter pin... (D'OH!)

--DD
Aaron Cox
make sure you remove the cotter pin first chairfall.gif

recently i was taking apart some 68 911 arms....after breaking both cotter pins off... and tapping em out... the nut fought my impact for a while. soak in wd40....
came back... worked great smile.gif
jr91472
wheaties....eat your wheaties.... biggrin.gif

Sorry....seriously solvents and physics are your friends (aka PB Blaster and a long breaker bar). I slipped the 4 foot handle off my floor jack over my 2 ft breaker bar to increase the leverage. Oh and chalk the wheels - I pretty much rolled my car out of the garage before mine gave it up.

good luck
Hi guys...thanks for the help. Didn't need to worry about the cotter pin as whomever was in there last didn't put it back in! I stopped to watch some tv and drink a beer beerchug.gif with the neighbor as it soaked in liquid wrench. It broke loose right away after that.

On to the bearing removal!!! biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
I just had the worst ever nut on the 58....I broke a 1/2 breaker bar when using my 3 foot cheater bar. I used heat (MAPP AND Propane) and PB Blaster.

I ended up buying a 3/4 breaker bar with the afore mentioned cheater and a 1 7/16 six point socket.....when it let go it sounded like a .357 going off....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.