Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seems interesting for an engine dolly...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
saw this on the 'bay.....

seems like a good idea to me. bit like a well planned out appliance dolly for an engine. no affiliation.... yadda... yadda.... yadda....

type 4 engine dolly
ConeDodger
QUOTE(scottb @ Mar 10 2007, 06:37 PM) *

saw this on the 'bay.....

seems like a good idea to me. bit like a well planned out appliance dolly for an engine. no affiliation.... yadda... yadda.... yadda....

type 4 engine dolly

I bought one at the local VW high performance house... It was the same price as the EBay one but I only paid tax in addition. This guy wants to charge the latest Ebay extortion which is to pack lots of shipping and handling on to the transaction...
Gint
I bought one of those a couple of months ago. It was pretty damn heavy. I don't doubt that the actual shipping costs may have been close to what he charged anyway.

I'm going to out a motor on it tomorrow. If you bump this thread tomorrw evening to remind me, I'll let you know how it works.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

It,s not to good to use to work on a engine, great to roll around garage or storage. Harbor freight has regular engins stand w/ wheels on sale for $69.00
some times. I would get one (or two ) of those. My 2 cents Dave slap.gif
scottb
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 10 2007, 11:28 PM) *

I bought one of those a couple of months ago. It was pretty damn heavy. I don't doubt that the actual shipping costs may have been close to what he charged anyway.

I'm going to out a motor on it tomorrow. If you bump this thread tomorrw evening to remind me, I'll let you know how it works.

so how did it work there gint?

Gint
You know, it's a great idea, but I should have made my own. The open side for jack clearance is great. However...with a thermostat installed, the bottom of the case won't quite fit between the rails of the dolly. It ends up resting on the sheet metal thermostat bracket, and also the oil filter (not that big a deal really). If it were 1/4" wider, it would be fine. I currently have a motor with no thermostat, tin, ignition or induction sittiing on it. It's OK for that.

Edit: If I built my own I would also use casters with bigger wheels to make rolling over concrete expansion cracks easier.

Harbor Freight sells furniture dollys for $16.00 (with bigger wheels). My fully dressed 2.0 is now resting comfortably (and stable) on one of those.
URY914
Do not get one of these. While they look like a great idea, they bind under load. All those joints are too sloppy and it just doesn't work. It will hold a couple of hundred pounds like they say but it won't lift that much weight.

Another HF door stop. mad.gif

Elliot Cannon
Furniture dolly. "Works fine...lasts a long time."
scruz914
A former roommate cut a shopping cart down to make a dolly. We used to remove our bus engines with it. Re-enforecement is easily done with a sheet of plywood bolted to the tubing.
VaccaRabite
I have off tomorrow, and I was actually thiking of running to the hardware stor for a little angle iron and welding one together. Bet it could be built for under $30, depending on the amount of steel needed, and what I had to pay for the steel.

Zach
sk8kat1
I bought the type 1 version and I thought it worked really well
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 12 2007, 06:02 PM) *

I have off tomorrow, and I was actually thiking of running to the hardware stor for a little angle iron and welding one together. Bet it could be built for under $30, depending on the amount of steel needed, and what I had to pay for the steel.

Zach

The castors will cost more than the steel biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Mar 13 2007, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Mar 12 2007, 06:02 PM) *

Zach

The castors will cost more than the steel biggrin.gif

Thats what the local dump is for laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.