Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: POR-15 Black Velvet hight temp paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisPaegelow
Hey guys,

I'm working on fixing up some exhaust parts on my motorcycle, but I'm not sure what to paint with.

I read on a bike forum that some people use "header paint," and one guy said he just uses black BBQ grill paint, but that sounds kind of cheesy. I was also told that ceramic coating would be good, but that's expensive, I can't do it myself, and this doesn't need to look too fancy anyway.

So I searched for header paint and found this POR-15 made stuff:
Black Velvet

Do you guys know if this stuff works pretty well?

Also, after I sand blast all the rust off of the parts, what should I use on the metal prior to painting? Regular primer wouldn't work because it's no good for high temperature, right? Can I just use Metal-Ready or something like that, and then paint?

Thanks!!!

P.S. I know this is off topic but I'm asking here because the people on the motorcycle forums didn't really know too much, and I know you guys have plenty of rust experience! laugh.gif
ChrisPaegelow
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

Hey come on now guys, I know someone knows about this stuff! Help me out!!!
confused24.gif
StratPlayer
Yes it works very well, I painted a muffler using black velvet about 2 years ago and the muffler still looks like it did the day I painted in using Black Velvet.
solex
Try VHT it has been on my exhaust and looks great after 1 year. Follow the directions though...
michaelt55
I use the POR stuff alot and like it....

Michael
ChrisPaegelow
Cool sounds good to me!!!
jim912928
Chris...what kindof bike?....pictures...must always show pictures!
ChrisPaegelow
1985 Honda Interceptor VF500F

Pictures incoming...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's what I'm planning on fixing up first... the exhaust collector and center stand
IPB Image

And here are a couple more bits that could use re-finishing... I might just get them powder coated though because they're more visible.

IPB Image

IPB Image

beerchug.gif
jim912928
looks like a fun bike!
Eric_Shea
I use the factory manifold grey and POR-20. Absolutely perfect.
Crazyhippy
I did my exhaust in BBQ paint, and even up against the turbo it still looks good. I have a tras oil leak, and The oil softened the paint up, and it is coming off. I didn't do much prep work either, hit it w/ a scotchbrite by hand, and sprayed....

BJH
DBCooper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 11 2007, 02:22 PM) *

I use the factory manifold grey and POR-20. Absolutely perfect.

And I've had terrible luck with it. It looked really good when just painted, but rust started breaking out within 500 miles. I suspect my problem was curing it. They say to bake it, but I didn't, hoping it would cure itself from the heat of the manifold. Hope you baked yours, so I know that's what I did wrong.
ChrisPaegelow
I think I'll order a little can of this black velvet stuff and try it out next weekend. I'll take some pictures and let you guys know how it turns out!
ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Mar 11 2007, 05:13 PM) *

looks like a fun bike!

Yeah it's great! It's really quick for a 500cc bike, and it handles like a dream!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.