Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you use for a temporary CV shear pins?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
I think I remember my old auto shop teacher saying we could use any softer metal pin to make shear pics but I want to bounce it off of y'all before doing something stupid.

Unless someone has then in the East Bay Area, CA..... Then I'll be glad to buy 'em off of you.

Yes, EASY is closed today.

=-)

Roger
johnlush
Please correct me if I'm wrong but the pins that locate the CV's to the companion flanges are not shear pins! A shear pin is designed to do exactly that - shear to save something else. An example would be the auger in a snowblower which is held to the shaft by a shear pin. If something like a rock or cat or your foot gets caught, the soft pin will shear thereby saving the cat. What the CV's have are roll pins which are pretty hard and designed to transfer torque. You may be able to source those at a good hardware store. Anyone know why the 914 CV's use the pins while the 911 style joints are all bolts?
Matt Romanowski
Because pins locate and bolts compress.....
johnlush
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Mar 11 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Because pins locate and bolts compress.....

Your point being..........
So.Cal.914
As long as you do know they will be temporary, go to your local HWS and pick

up some bolts with an OD that will fit the ID of the CV. Cut them off, use a file to

clean the edges (you want to be able to extract them) and put them in. They will

not hold up to really hard driving but they should work until you get the correct

guide pins. Just take off easy.
GWN7
most Home depot type stores have a selection of metal rod & bars (in the bolts section). See if they have metal rod the right diameter and cut it to length. Round the ends on a grinder.

How did you loose both pins?
Dr. Roger
Thanks for the suggestions. biggrin.gif
I ended up going to HOME DEPOT and getting a little piece of rod. (awaiting the Trekkor jokes...) EASY will be open on Monday.

I lost the little suckers when my CV bolts came free while driving. That was a tough lesson.

I spoke with Patrick Motorsports and they said they give the threads a food grade cleaning beforehand, then use loc-tite on their race car. No failures.

Previously I assembled with a quick swipe of a paper towel to clean the threads.

Never doing that again. chair.gif
GWN7
Yep, wash the parts with brake cleaner before assembly.

Dr. Evil makes highly recomended bolts that you can wire in place.

Did you get new crush washers for the bolts? Those are recomended also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.