Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To get my car going again...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
First I'll take out the pedal assembly and send it off to Eric to rebuild/ fix. While it's out, what else should I do in that area beside a good cleaning and POR15 treatment?

I'll need a windshield. I think I can get one from a local shop. What do I need to put it in? What about these clips I hear of for the trim, what do I need and how do they go in?

Tires: I need a new set that's good but inexpensive. suggestions? I have 6 & 7 x 16. What size should I look for?

Wiper assembly removal. I think I understand how these go together. Any pointers welcome. What do I need to be careful of when removing the gas tank?

Thanks!

rhodyguy
that the fuel tank is empty or near so. just cut the lines from underneath the tank outlet and plan on replacing them. have a catch basin at the ready. don't forget the sending wires for the gauge.

k
djm914-6
Those lines are new so they shouldn't to hard to remove... I'll cut them if I need to. I totally forgot about the sending wires.

Another task that will need to be done is a mile tune-up. Valves and Carbs. I don't know squat about either. These I mau leave up to Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham MA. At least he knows these things.
Dave_Darling
"Good" tires--for what? MPG? Wear? Dry grip? Wet grip? Low noise? Other?

If dry grip is just about your only priority, and you are willing to compromise everything else, get the Falken Azenis in 205/50-15.

Other tires, umm, the ones I used to like are no longer made...

--DD
skline
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 11 2007, 05:43 PM) *

"Good" tires--for what? MPG? Wear? Dry grip? Wet grip? Low noise? Other?

If dry grip is just about your only priority, and you are willing to compromise everything else, get the Falken Azenis in 205/50-15.

Other tires, umm, the ones I used to like are no longer made...

--DD

Hey Dave, The Falkens are a great choice for dry grip, however, he mentioned he was running 16" wheels so the size you suggested is not an option.

I am running Kumho's on my truck and they stick pretty good for a street tire. I think they are the 711's and they are 245X50X16. They dont last but maybe 30k or so however.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(skline @ Mar 12 2007, 05:00 AM) *
... he mentioned he was running 16" wheels so the size you suggested is not an option.

D'OH! I read right past that...

OK, 205 width and whatever profile is available. biggrin.gif

--DD
djm914-6
Cheap tires with the best performance possible... did I say cheap? I doubt I'll be autocrossing or doing any DE's for some time, so all I need is somthing to keep me rolling and somewhat facing the right direction. I'm running 205 front and 225 rears now. I'm guessing these may be a bit big for the wheels but they look nice. Too bad they're old and cracked.
3liter914-6
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Mar 12 2007, 06:26 PM) *

Cheap tires with the best performance possible... did I say cheap? I doubt I'll be autocrossing or doing any DE's for some time.

The Azenis are a good choice, as are the Kumho MX. Both are cheap and are going to offer very good dry grip for a full tread street tire, but are going to wear pretty quickly*. The Azenis (615s) grip a little bit better, but they weren't in my size, and the MX tends to be cheaper so I went with those. Also, Tire Rack doesn't sell Falkens.
For good treadwear, and only a little less grip, the Kumho Ecsta SPTs are supposed to be very good, while still maintaining the key cheap factor you're looking for. They're the replacements for the 712s which I had on my Volvo and was pretty pleased with. Not the greatest in the rain, but a good bang for the buck performance tire. I hear the SPTs are markedly improved.

*Both the Azenis and MX are favored by ST-class Auto-Xers, so most of the wear data on them is skewed by the fact they get worked pretty hard a couple of times a month. I've heard that in pure street use they can last 15-20K. So far I only have 300 on mine, so I can't provide any personal experience WRT street durability.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(3liter914-6 @ Mar 12 2007, 06:15 PM) *
... Also, Tire Rack doesn't sell Falkens.

Oh, right--good point! You can, however, find them at Discount Tire Direct. Their web site ain't anywhere near as good as TR's, but they do carry the tires.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.