Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: windows xp trouble..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partsman
I know I'm stretching the limits of the help idea, but i'm loosing my mind over this. Recently, my laptop has developed a neat trick. When you go to the start button, and place the mouse on "all programs", the list of all the programs comes up. When you roll the mouse over a program name, the files should show up right? All I get is a clear "box" that you can just make out, sort of what would appear normally, just with all the files in there. If you hold the mouse over the empty space, a decription comes up by the pointer.

I also noticed that in my word, excel, outlook, and powerpoint, when you go up to the top (toolbar?) where it says "file edit view etc" and click as if you wanted to save a file, or start a new one, all the drop down words are gone, and it's the same clear box. I have already re-installed office, and still have the same trouble. This seems to only happen to Microsoft programs. If I go to the top of this screen, and click on "file" the drop down box has all the options in it.

Has anyone else hit this trouble? WTF.gif

Eric
Rusty
First, are you virus and spyware free? Are you SURE?

If so, try TweakUI. You can download it from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

once you download and install it, select "repair" and "rebuild icons"

that may help your problem.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Jeffs9146
I use the "System Restore" in the system tools, accessories section of the all programs menu.

Reset the system to an earlier time prior to when the problems started and see if the problem goes away!

Jeff
cooltimes
This is if for some reason the display conf for Windows has a glitch.

Position mouse pointer over blank part of your desktop screen.
Choose properties.
Under menu item that come up choose Appearance.
Windows and buttons = Windows Classic Style
Color scheme = standard
Font size = Normal

Hope this helped. Could be a virus but usually NOT. Good luck.
On the other hand:
Other than that, since you have reinstalled XP I don't know. It's not fixing icons but rather the color schemes of how your menus and background are shown. Some sites you visit will and can change the Windows config system if you don't have a good firewall. Believe me. BTDT.
Just the MS crappo system full of bugs that pop up without any reason. Cuss and laugh, give the finger or whatever. I always do. If I had any brains I would use Unix or a pencil and sheet of paper.
Series9
I normally use 'brain restore'.

After I use it, it seems logical to never use a PC again.
computers4kids
First, I would do a system restore to before you were having problems.
Second, if that doesn't work I would check your machine for viruses:
Spybot & CW shredder are pretty good.

Lasty, if you get things cleared-up, be sure, if you don't already, install XP Service Pack2...it makes a big difference keeping the little buggers abay.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to fix your icons, etc until you know your machine is clean.
Good Luck,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.