Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What does that wire do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
Swapping motors in my 74 from a 1.8 Ljet to a 2.0 Djet. There is a green wire that comes out of the tin on the passenger's side underneath the battery. It used to plug in to the 1.8 wiring harness, but the 2.0 harness does not have a receptacle on the harness for this wire. Does anyone know what this wire does? Can I just tape it up?

I switched the ECU also from the 2.0.
I noticed the djet has a clear plug with some white wires that looks like it plugs in the relay board...the L-Jet didn't have this plug--just a yellow wire...does this sound about right?

Much appreciated,
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 11 2007, 09:00 PM) *

Swapping motors in my 74 from a 1.8 Ljet to a 2.0 Djet. There is a green wire that comes out of the tin on the passenger's side underneath the battery. It used to plug in to the 1.8 wiring harness, but the 2.0 harness does not have a receptacle on the harness for this wire. Does anyone know what this wire does? Can I just tape it up?

I noticed the djet has a clear plug with some white wires that looks like it plugs in the relay board...the L-Jet didn't have this plug--just a yellow wire...does this sound about right?

Much appreciated,

The one coming up through the tin sounds like the wiring for the temp gauge.

On the 4 pin plug, it fits into the relay board.

(Personally, I think that the L-Jet would have been better, but that is MY opinion).
Elliot Cannon
Do NOT cut the BLUE wire. biggrin.gif
MrKona
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Mar 11 2007, 07:00 PM) *

Much appreciated,

Are you referring to this green wire? I also have a '74 1.8 Ljet and I've been trying to figure out where this wire plugs into. It's never been hooked up since I've had the car. It arises from the body harness (not the FI harness), just underneath the ECU. Where does it go?? huh.gif
Bleyseng
It goes to the oil temps sender wire that comes from the taco plate with the sender and a wire loops across the bottom of hte fan and plugs into THAT GREEN WIRE.
MrKona
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 11 2007, 07:51 PM) *

It goes to the oil temps sender wire that comes from the taco plate with the sender and a wire loops across the bottom of hte fan and plugs into THAT GREEN WIRE.

Thank you! That explains why my oil temp guage has never worked. (One issue at a time). Now I need to find the other wire to plug this one into...
MrKona
It's amazing how humble this car keeps me. Just when I think I've got one thing figured out, something else creeps up on me that is entirely new to me...
brp914
It's amazing how humble this car keeps me. Just when I think I've got one thing figured out, something else creeps up on me that is entirely new to me.

...and it never stops - gotta love it! ever had your battery crap out cuz your alt light quit? ever blew fuse 9 cuz you hit the brakes (and turns out to be your hazard flasher)? laugh.gif
MrKona
I believe I've got the oil temp sensor missing. If anyone has pictures they could post of the oil temp sender installed, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.
computers4kids
QUOTE(MrKona @ Mar 11 2007, 08:41 PM) *

I believe I've got the oil temp sensor missing. If anyone has pictures they could post of the oil temp sender installed, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks.

Well, if your 74 was like mine when I bought it you only have a cover plate at the bottom of the oil pan. I had to go out any buy a taco plate that has the hole in it (see picture) and sender which screws into the case below the plate. Someone in the club should be able to sell you both.

PS Thanks all for the "green wire" mystery. Funny thing is, when I added my temp gauge & center console, I went and ran my own wire...not still to sure why this wire used to plug into my 1.8 engine harness. Anyway...that engine is gone now and the 2.0 is just about ready to go...waiting for the injectors to come back from their cleaning.
MrKona
As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words". Thanks very much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.