Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Advice - Engine Rebuilding
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I have a '75 1.8 that leaks like the Valdez and basically decides to stop running intermttently when I am out on drives. It will turn over, but will not start for anything. This usually happens when I am several miles from home. AAA has more than paid for itself with this car. My wife has revoked my driving priveledges, as the car has caused me to miss a couple of semi-important events. The strange/ironic side of the story, is that it always starts right up after the flatbed sets it down in my driveway, which makes it difficult to diagnose - fuel or spark. Any ideas?

Anyway, I have a '76 2.0 on a stand, complete FI, exhaust, etc. Probably 95% of what I will need to do the swap. However, this thing has been sitting a while, so I should probably tear it down, clean it up and do whatever needs to be done.

Problem is, I really don't know what I am doing when it comes to the inside of a motor. I know what all of the major parts are, and I am extremely mechanically inclined, but I need to see to learn. I need to know how to spot what needs to be addressed, what should be replaced, what kind of sealants to use, etc. I know that Jake has a video. Is it applicable to a refresh or is it geared more toward a complete custom rebuild? I have the Haynes. Is it worthless or all that I need?

In a nutshell, I really want to learn how to refurbish/rebuild a motor, but I am gun-shy. If I could watch a video, or read a really good, descriptive book, I would feel much better about tearing into the 2L.

Thanks,
Ken
So.Cal.914
My first dance I used the Haynes manual, it had all the info I needed. Saying

that, it was not my first engine build(type 1's V8's etc). I have heard alot of good

things about Raby's video.
Dave_Darling
Get Raby's video. It shows you what happens in a stock-type rebuild when there are no surprises, and when you have a very good machine shop working with you.

Keep your Haynes manual and go through the engine chapter a few times.

Get Tom Wilson's "How to Rebuild Your Aircooled Volkswagen Engine". It has tons of good info, some of it specific to 914s, other stuff to all Type IVs, and also covers the Type I/II/III VW engines. There is one spot that is a bit misleading (where the cam gear goes in relation to the crank gear), but that's the only bad part I've seen in it!

If you can, look through the factory manuals. Compare to the Haynes book... You'll see almost exactly the same words and images. smile.gif

--DD
Brando
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 12 2007, 11:25 PM) *
Get Tom Wilson's "How to Rebuild Your Aircooled Volkswagen Engine". It has tons of good info, some of it specific to 914s, other stuff to all Type IVs, and also covers the Type I/II/III VW engines. There is one spot that is a bit misleading (where the cam gear goes in relation to the crank gear), but that's the only bad part I've seen in it!

If you can, look through the factory manuals. Compare to the Haynes book... You'll see almost exactly the same words and images. smile.gif

--DD

I used Tom Wilson's book (but also had a very experienced supervisor). It provided everything that was needed to assemble everything, but you'll have some trouble finding proper torque specs for some internal hardware. I would reccommend Raby's video, just because it will provide a bit more insight.
bigkensteele
Thanks guys. I think that I am going to order the video, and I might already have the Wilson book in some box in my basement. I will start digging.

Getting excited about tearing into this thing, and I appreciate all the motivation I get here.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.