Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 1.8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RobertD
Hey guys GREAT Site. I have a 75 1.8 that I have owned for years. I bought it in the early 80's. I used to drive it and then started to work on it by adding, yes the cheap flairs & the 916 front and rear bumpers. Anyway I bought a new house in '97 left my job and started my own business. The 914 has spent the last 10 years on jack stands as I have tinkered with it here and there. I placed it on stands and started adding SS brake lines, 911 Master cylinders, 911 front struts, etc. You know how it all starts. When I bought the car the girl had told me the engine was rebuilt , but of course knew nothing about when? Since I have added a new clutch TO bearing, Flywheel, Starter, Fuel pump. Then new Injectors, Pertronics ignition in the Dizzy, new fuel line in the engine compartment, thermoswitch, temperature sensor, cold start valve, fuel pressure regulator, Auxiliary air regulator, fuel filter, used resistor block, and a used 1.8 air intake sensor. Some..not all vacuum lines, and fuel stabilzer and new gas.
Now..every now and then over the years I have started the 1.8 and it has ran in gear, setting on the stands. I know the timing is somewhat off, but just the other day the 1.8 back fired. Now the car will start and run only for a few minutes, or seconds? I have checked the 1.8 air intake with a meter and the Bosch Bible on fuel injection, and other sensors and all are within readings. I'm not 100% convinced the fuel pump is still running? Any ideals?
My car is not perfect, not by any means. The doors do not sag, at least on the stands, and the longs do have some rust. So now I have made my mine up to cut out what rust and re-do as much as I can. I might be throwing good money after bad here, but I do have some hell hole rot, so I will be dropping the engine.
Should I scrap this project and start over? If I rebuilt the engine to stock 1.8, what cost will I endure as long as everything is near useable condition?
Extreme? $2000 more or less?
It's funny I don't wish to give up on this project and can sort of remember how nice it was to drive my 914 even though it so long ago. I'm like everyone esle trying to keep my 914 alive on a budget. In the 12 years I have owned my car, still in primer, I have only put 9000 miles on it. One day I hope to drive again.
Any help or input is appreciated. Thanks guys....all the nice 914's on this site really makes me want to finish mine.
Thanks....Confused in KY.....Robert sad.gif
rwjames
You may post some pictures of the hell hole and other rusty areas and let everyone voice their opinions as to whether you should continue with this project or find a new body.

I'm not an engine expert either, but I'm sure you will get some good expertise from this site. There are a couple guys in the Cinci and Louisville areas that you may be able to persuade to help you out or at least help you get motivated.

You have hung in there this long, so just kick it in and keep going if the rust isn't too bad. It's nice to see another 914 saved so I hope everything works out for you.

Good Luck.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Backfire + L-jetronic EFI == bad combination...

Check that the flap in the air flow meter moves smoothly. If not, you need a new AFM. (Pricey!) A damaged AFM could be the cause of your engine not running.

--DD
jim912928
backfire can ruin the AFM. If you don't think the fuel pump is running...it is the opening of the flap that triggers the fuel pump on..if it's not opening then the fuel pump will not operate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.