Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: early windows wont roll up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
So as I am nearing the completion of this almost 2 year project i have begun working out the little bugs.

When I began the windows would not roll up.
So I pulled the door panels and have since diagnosed the driver door and am looking for the solution.

Below is a picture of the lifter mechanism inside early doors.
A small tab (not shown) on a flexible piece of thread moves vertically raising and lowering the window.
This tab fits into the receiver (inside the red boxes) piece that is affixed to the glass.
On my driver window the receiver piece has managed to detach itself from the glass.

My question is:
What material should I use to reattach the receiver piece to the glass?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

My passenger side is presenting problems as well.
On this side the receiver is intact but the tab is presenting problems.
It appears that the window has shifted so that the receiver does not hit the tab correctly.

In the picture below you will see the tab.
The red circle illustrates where the tab should hit the receiver, I know this based upon the indentation left from use and from relative alignment of the driver side.
The green circle shows approximately where the tab does sit.

Click to view attachment

The window also feels as if it is catching or grinding on something, it dose not roll up, or down, smoothly.

My questions are as follows:

Is there some manner in which I can adjust the play in the window?

What could the window possibly be catching on?

What should I do to make the tab align?

If I were to grease the channels that the window slides in what would I use?

-jim
markb
For the first question, look at the passenger door & you'll see the round reciever you need the tab to fit into. I'm not sure where you would find one, but if they're NLA, let me know & I'll dig thru my stash for one. New is better, to.

Secondly, it sounds like the tube the mechanism moves thru is shifted to the side (twisted). Loosen the screw on the bottom, and see if it rotates. That would relieve the pressure & grinding you're feeling.

Wurth makes a nice lube spray that hardens up slightly that I use for these applications. You might see if you can find some. Dave at GPR stocks a lot of Wurth products, you might try there.
shaggy
Thanks for the response.

What round receiver are you talking about?

It is not the flex thread that is binding, it is the window itself.

Due to the window not sitting on the lifter mechanism properly I am able to slide the two apart.
This allows me to move the window vertically by hand without interference from the lifter.
When i move the glass by hand it binds, and if i crank the lifter free from the glass it moves smoothly.

Thanks
-jim

ps. How about white lithium grease?
markb
There should be a round, white plastic receiver with a slot in it that the tab fits into, the reciever fits in to the channel.
As far as a lubricant, try & find something in a spray, that can get into areas without doing a lot of building up. Once the stuff starts getting on the glass, it's a PITA.
shaggy
I see now.
It dosen't make sense because i dont have that part.

Anyone happen to have two of those?

Are there repro's?

What about a metal repro?

Thanks Mark, I get it now.
-jim

ps. White grease is an spray can
Dave_Darling
If the glass fits down into a channel and is held there with adhesive, I might try a little bit of butyl tape. It holds the windshield on pretty well, after all. Heat it up with a blow dryer after you stick it into the channel, before you push the glass into it.

There are more modern urethane products, but I would be afraid that they would bond too permanently, just in case you ever need to take things apart...

--DD
shaggy
What would those modern products be?
This glass isn't coming out of the door.
And if it does need to ill use the hammer trick. smash.gif

-jim
2-OH!
Shaggy:

Loosen the mechansim tube/assembly from the door...Sheet metal screw you show a picture of and the one at the front just slides out of the bushing...There are three screws around the winder mechanism and two more at the top of the tube assembly...Take em' all out...Separate the glass and the tube...Leave tube in the door for now...

The glass slides in a rubber/felt "U" seal (probably disentigrated) in a metal channel at the rear and the large vertical track at the front...There are four little rollers (plastic) on two axles attached to the front leading edge of the glass (top and bottom of the leading edge)...The "U" channel at the rear unscrews top and bottom and should therefore be able to be removed...

If all the winding tube mechanism and the "U" channel screws are removed, you should be able to separate them from the glass...Just lay them inside the door for now...

If the glass won't slide out now and it's still hung up inside the front vertical channel, then remove the adjustment screw in the bottom of the door (must be completely removed to pull the front channel out)...There is one bolt at the top...Pull the channel, glass out of the door...

Lay it on a table and figure out why it's frozen in the channel...

Pull the tube and other stuff out of the door...Soak the winder tube overnite in solvent to loosen 30+ years of grease, grime and general funk...Then use Spray can Lithium gease inside the tube...Wind mechanism about 1,000 times on the bench to make certain all slides smooth...

The problem you will have is that the little "button" that fits into the small channel (which also must be cleaned and free of rust and grit) under the window and on the little bracket on the winder tube is NLA...Unless you can find a club member to take one off an old assembly...It just snaps on...Probably be easier to just replace the entire tube with a unit from someone here who will sell you one...I have seen them from time to time on E-BAY...

I found my button in the bottom of the door...Cleaned, painted and lubed everything and now all works fine...

Oh yea, one last edit...If you break or loose any of these parts, the only option is to buy replacements...NO HAMMER required...

2-OH!
dbu356
I got these from AutoAtlanta wholesale catalogue.

David
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.