Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installed OEM Targa seals
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
Well, I put new OEM side and rear seals on my targe top - the old ones were were a mix of originals fixed (?) with black 'shoe goo' (a process that has some merit if done well - these were not done well) and reproductions that had all failed in just a few years.

I also installed the big seal that wraps around the windshield and down the front vent windows that the targa top sets into. This turned out to be the hardest of the bunch - and now that I have done it (twice until I got it right) I can say it's not as hard after the first two attempts. It's still hard, but survivable.

So, now I cannot see daylight thru the edges of the targa top any more, and the cab is water proof.

Next I have the trunk seals to do. Having seen the poor performance of non-OEM seals, I have decided to use OEM seals for the trunks too. The front trunk had a repro seal that was about 3 years old that had shrank and seperated in about 6 places. The rear trunk seals look like to originals, and are badly cracked - but they have stayed the same size over the last 28 years.
boxstr
Marc I would recommed that when you remove the front trunk seal, clean the groove out as much as possible and repair any rust areas.
When you reinstall the new one I don't recommend that you glue it in place. This area will gather and can trap water causing the rust problems.After claening and painting, if needed. Put in a coat of wax and polish it until it is nice and shiny.
Then fit the new seal. If you must glue anywhere just a small amount of weatherstrip glue in the corners. This is just to keep the seal in place.
I remove my front trunk seal once a month or whenever I wax my 914 and wax this area also.
I also remove and clean and wax the rear trunk seal areas.
CCLINCAMP914
marc_hines
Craig,

That is VERY good advice. I have, in fact, already sanded the rust spots in the grove for the new front trunk seal, and given them one coat of paint already. They will get a few more coats on before the seal goes in.

I was wondering of the front seal can just be laid into the groove for easy removal and cleaning later or if I had to glue it in. Based on your advice, I will not glue it. This will make cleaning (and any future rust removal) easier.

Thanks!

I also did some sanding and paint touch-ups to the floor of the rear trunk. I will have new carpet for both the trucks shortly, so they will be all "nice 'n' pretty".

Marc...
rhodyguy
marc, where did you go for your new oem seals?

kevin
marc_hines
Kevin,

I ended up using Tweeks for the seals. Decent pricing, they actually ship what the promised to - and got the box to my door in just a few days.

I also got some other odds and ends - like nylon seat adjuster loops (I'll be selling the one good metal loop soon if anyone needs it) and new rear license plate lights.

Marc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.