Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Flare Switch Project part2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.

Last night,I ripped of the rear fiberglass flares to make way for the steel units from the group buy a last month.

Fronts are completely done,now the rears.

The rears are gonna widened about 2" per side,to cover the 10" wide wheels.

As you can see in the pics,I have a few holes to fill,but that's not a big deal,that's why I have a welder. welder.gif

Ron
RON S.
Last one,

Driver's side tacked.

Ron
michaelt55
man...you are an artist!!! clap56.gif

Michael
RON S.

One note to all those interested.

A 930 turbo brake setup DOES fit under 15" wheels.You can see'm peeking out from under those old ATS wheels in the last pic.

Ron
STL914
QUOTE(RON S. @ Mar 14 2007, 08:05 AM) *

One note to all those interested.

A 930 turbo brake setup DOES fit under 15" wheels.You can see'm peeking out from under those old ATS wheels in the last pic.

Ron

With that turbo brake set up, you may want to keep those "scoops" in front of and behind the flares. laugh.gif
RON S.
Moving right along,I got the holes in the quarter panels around the flares plugged over the weekend.

I'll spend this week welding everything up solid. welder.gif

Hopefully by this weekend,I'll be cutting the flares again to widen them. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Stay tuned.

Ron biggrin.gif
tdgray
WOW that is a lot of work... nice job.
RON S.
This weekend was a good one for the old flare switch.

Got the repo flares cut and started the 2" widening process.

The amount needed to widen is shown in the photo with tire on sticking out past the stock flare.

Tire is a 265, on a 18X10 rim w/a 40MM offset setting on a 2" spacer.

Ron
RON S.
Moving right along, I widened the rears a full 2" on each side.

Then it was just cut and fit from there.

My finished width is within 1/8' from either side.

Ron
RON S.

lastly,

some back shots when I stopped work Sunday evening.

R
Johny Blackstain
Insanity! thumb3d.gif Beautiful creativity on those rear flare extensions. sawzall-smiley.gif Wow, well done! welder.gif

cool_shades.gif
RON S.

I'll say this,

This is the first,and last time I'll ever take on a modification of this size ever again.

I'm getting to old for this @#it. blink.gif blink.gif

Ron
RON S.
This past weekend was another good weekend for working on the teener.

Weld work is pretty much done now,and I've almost got the passenger side of the car smoothed out.

Drivers side will be ready to start mudding it up in a week or 2.

Ron
RON S.

If anyones wondering about clearance,I think I have some to spare if anyone needs some.

R biggrin.gif
RON S.

Lastly,I'll show the trick to keeping the clearance stable throughout all the welding.

I made these fender jacks from angle iron,1/2" pipe,1/2"threaded rod,and some nuts and washers.

It worked perfectly.

Ron
nomore9one4
Nice job Ron! That looks sweet! You made it look so simple but we all know better. Can't wait to see it with color.
bigkensteele
Incredible, Ron! How do you finish your welds on the inside of the fenders. Do you grind them down, or just shoot them with primer?
SirAndy
very nice display of craftsmanship! smash.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
tdgray
You do insane work. Well done. Bravo!!!
r_towle
Wanna sell the fiberglass ones???

Rich
Eric_Shea
pray.gif
JPB
Great job mister! The huge stance is impressive and makes your 33% caliper to 66% rotor ratio seem like a toy. Your to old when you stop making dreams happen bro; don't stop dreaming and don't stop............... beer.gif
RON S.
I haven't posted an update in a while,but I have been working on the rear flares steadily.

Everything is pretty much done.The rockers,and rear valance all line up to their respective edges.

The epoxy primer is laid for the final time.I'll soon be wet sanding it to fully level it out,then everything is ready for the final top coat.

Top coat is RM's Diamont basecoat clearcoat in Signal Orange.

At $450.00 a kit for the paint,that is why I'm taking so long to get it as best as I can before the final topcoat.

It's almost done,but not soon enough for me.

Ron biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Just DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!
BigDBass
wow.
URY914
Whata great job!!!
RON S.

I do have to say guys,that that was a lot of metalwork!

I will not repeat that ever again.It was a huge undertaking and requires a lot of patience to accomplish.

I probably have a 100 hours easily just in the metalwork to the rears.I'd be scared to listen to what a top-rate body shop would quote to install,and widen those rear flares to cover 10''wide wheels blink.gif .

I will agree that the results look good,but damn that was a lot of 10 hour,Saturdays & Sundays.Finally though,it's almost over and time for some serious beer drunk.gif drunk.gif

Ron
RON S.

I'm into the final stretch now.

I put up my $100.00 outdoor paint booth,and painted the rockers,rear valance,and the inside trunk floor.

No bugs or trash in the paint.Color sanding and buffing are gonna be a breeze.

That high end Diamont paint can make anyone look like a hero.

One more nice weekend of rain free sunshine and the quarters will be painted and this chapter will close.

Ron
RON S.

In the yard w/all the paper removed.

Ron
Johny Blackstain
Magnifico Hombre! clap56.gif

cool_shades.gif
RON S.

Guys I played hooky from work today to lay the paint on the rear flares of my 6'r.

I rolled her into my make shift booth,and gave a coat of Signal Orange.

Damn you gotta love that Diamont paint.

Ron

RON S.

In 2 weeks I'll color sand and buff it all out.

Look how level the Diamont came out.

Ron
Andyrew
Seriously.. Good work

Coming from a guy touching a grinder and a welder 50 hours a week..
Johny Blackstain
Man her ass is soooo wide drooley.gif, thumb3d.gif ! This preference however, does not apply to actual women rolleyes.gif. smilie_pokal.gif

cool_shades.gif
RON S.

piratenanner.gif biggrin.gif I like big Butt's and I can not lie! piratenanner.gif

Ron
iamchappy
WOW mueba.gif .You just helped physic me up to get out and keep pounding on mine. I am glad i choose to paint my car Signal Orange instead of Black again. I plan on keeping the rockers and valances on mine black though.

I wanted to paint mine single stage but my paint guy wouldn't, so I am doing single stage in the trunks and engine bay and 2 stage everywhere else. Lets see a picture of the signal orange grass.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jun 22 2007, 01:27 PM) *

This preference however, does not apply to actual women rolleyes.gif. smilie_pokal.gif

cool_shades.gif

Why?? confused24.gif

If her hips were as nice as those flairs who would care wub.gif drooley.gif

Fantastic work clap56.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(George H. @ Jun 22 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Why?? confused24.gif
If her hips were as nice as those flairs who would care wub.gif drooley.gif

It's just a personal preference... I like waifs. Waifs w/ curves that is. So I'm picky, shoot me biggrin.gif .

cool_shades.gif
maf914
Ron, Great work! Excellent!

Did you have to widen your rear valence to match the flairs or did the flares taper down to the original flared profile at the valence?
Igor
Dude the ass looks awsome great job more pics please pray.gif
Chris Pincetich
Wow, that looks really easy. happy11.gif
Wicked man, great job, great pics, very inspirational, I need to go get a beer too beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.