Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dog Bone Foot Rest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
iamchappy
I have one that is in really great shape. Are these somewhat rare in good condition and are they worth anything. I placed one in the classifieds but haven't a clue what it's worth.
Porsche Rescue
If I had a factory six or a '70-71 four and originality was my goal, I would pay at least $50 for it. They are sometimes on Ebay. Maybe a search there will help.
iamchappy
Thanks, that gives me a ball park fiqure of it's worth.
orthobiz
My used 1971 didn't come with the footrest. I didn't even know it existed. I sold my V-6 Mercury Capri to buy the Porsche and my girlfriend at the time hated it. Had no place to put her feet. Too noisy. Heat was nonexistent. Carried a blanket to keep her warm. She dumped me.

Cost: one relationship. Hmmm...hard to put that in dollars and cents!

Paul
iamchappy
I cleaned it up and it looks great, I think I will keep it and bring it to the antique road show when there in town.
Bleyseng
I put it in the 914 when Monique and I go for long drives. She is only 5'2" so it does work for her to support her feet.
Jax914
Can someone show how these work? I can't picture where it clips, and how it is used.

Thanks!
Porsche Rescue
Sorry, I can't access a pic right now, but they came new with a strap about 8" long and a metal snap clip. It clipped to a D ring on a short strap attached to one of the screws holding the passenger side speaker grill. By now most have lost the strap and they ride loose on the passenger floor. Even when attached by the strap, they can be moved around to suit the comfort of the passenger. Basically it is a movable footrest to compensate for the fact that the seat is not adjustable.
Porsche Rescue
Found a pic
Pat Garvey
I can't speak to the 914/6's, but I can say that these were not supplied on all early 914/4 appearance group cars. As is typical with the early cars, some had them, some not. Maybe it was a separate option? Dunno, but I know of many very early 914's that didn't have this as part of the appearance group option. Yet again, I know of one 914/6, sans appearance group, that did have this included.

Either way, if you have a pre-mid '72 914/4, it'd be cool to have one. That is, unless your COA specifically says you didn't.
Porsche Rescue
I bought a new four in 1970. It had the footrest and every car I saw while shopping for mine had it. I do think many owners discarded them quickly as a bit of a nuisance. The one pictured above was in a six. The non-appearance '71 pictured below which I owned a couple of years ago also had one.
orthobiz
I think "hell hole" is a way better nickname for under the battery than "dog bone" is for that footrest! That's some sorry looking bone!

Paul
jkb081
If it were mine, I would keep it. It’s a piece of rare Porsche history. There may come a time when you wish you had not discarded it. Little quirky factory things like this can be worth big bucks simply because people just tossed them away. Just like our cars. Big items are somewhat easy to come by, but it’s the little things that are hard to find. Say for example: buttons, certain knobs, proper bits of small hardware, correct stickers in correct locations, etc., etc…
mepstein
I guess he had 15 years to think it over. biggrin.gif
Cairo94507
Yeah, that's for sure. The good news is these are typically listed of Ebay by a well known seller for about $200. Mine is in great condition, wrapped up nicely, still has the strap and is stored. I also have the "D" ring attached to my speaker. beerchug.gif

I put it in the car the first time I took my wife for a ride but she did not need it as we updated the passenger seat to fully adjustable like the later cars. Makes the passenger much more comfortable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.