Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full trunk mat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Phoenix914
This is the foam rubber full rear trunk mat that I assume came with my car originally. I was told that it suffered from a fight with a dog at one time in it's life, as you can see from the jagged edges on the right side. I have a little bag of torn off pieces. Also there is a nasty tear along the seam on the left.

Does anyone have some advice as to how to go about making this thing whole again? Some sort of adhesive or rubber compound that could stick it all back together?

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
Bryan,
The (ahem) dirty yellow foam piece looks to be the original foam pad that lies in the aft portion of the r. trunk. You knew that of course. But the large rubber piece pictured above it, I've never seen that before. Is that OEM?! What year car is that supposed to be in? It will be interesting if any forum members have seen this before.

As to repairing it, I unfortunately have no advice to give. sad.gif
Phoenix914
Ok, ok I know there is yellow stuff on the pad. I assume it's rust, as there was a slight rust problem in the usual area of the trunk. I have not yet cleaned or otherwise messed with it. You misunderstand what you're looking at, though. This is not two pieces. This is all one piece. It's just torn on that seam on the left side. It's a pretty heavy duty mat. I have seen the small mats that cover the rear only, but like you haven't seen one that covers the whole floor of the trunk before.

The car is a '73 2.0 from California, L96M Marathon Blue Metallic.

The VIN is 4732914689

????????????? confused24.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Bryan,
Now I comprehend. huh.gif That is interesting in that the mat seems to be formed exactly to fit the trunk shape and provide for the (I guess) jack mounting points. Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light and feedback on this either obscure factory piece or rarely seen accesory.
JeffBowlsby
There were 3 different trunk mat styles:

Early 70-72?: Half-trunk mat, yellow foam rubber
Mid: 73-early 74? - One piece black foam rubber mat covering full trunk floor (shown above)
Late: Early 74-76 - One piece black sheet plastic covered foam rubber mat covering full trunk floor.

All foam mats were then covered by a separate grey Perlon carpet mat.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jeff,
So that's "underlayment", or backing material that later cars had under the entire floor area of the rear trunk, eh? I've only seen the "half" piece on early cars, or none whatsoever under the carpet on some later cars. Probably the owner discarded it to save some weight, or left it on the lot after an a/x. So, theoretically, all late model 914s should have that in the trunk.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 14 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Mid: 73-early 74? - One piece black foam rubber mat covering full trunk floor (shown above)
Late: Early 74-76 - One piece black sheet plastic covered foam rubber mat covering full trunk floor.

Hi Jeff,

When I restored my 74 back a few years ago I ordered a new one from Porsche. It was not available here in the U.S.A. & came from Germany. When it arrived it was a flat piece of material (correct material) cut to size without the formed contour. I bitched about it and was told to install it and the heat from the underside would conform to the trunk contours. It did after a few years of driving from the engine heat & today looks factory original. I need to look for my old one if I kept it??? It was in pretty good shape. If I have it, it's your free. Now I have to find it????

Tom
BTW: It's an expensive piece that cost me somewhere around $100 bucks. Of course freight from Germany was the big cost. If you can duplicate the material cut it to size and install like I did.
Phoenix914
Jeff, now that you mention it I think I have seen the plastic covered mat in a '75 car. It was a lot cleaner than mine too.

Thomas, it's interesting that you were still able to buy one from Porsche. I'll have to look into that if I can't restore this one. Where do you suppose one could buy that material to custom-cut? Maybe an upholstery shop could get a line on something like it. I'll have to check into it.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Mar 14 2007, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 14 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

When I restored my 74 back a few years ago I ordered a new one from Porsche. It was not available here in the U.S.A. & came from Germany. When it arrived it was a flat piece of material (correct material) cut to size without the formed contour. I bitched about it and was told to install it and the heat from the underside would conform to the trunk contours. It did after a few years of driving from the engine heat & today looks factory original. I need to look for my old one if I kept it??? It was in pretty good shape. If I have it, it's your free. Now I have to find it????

Tom
BTW: It's an expensive piece that cost me somewhere around $100 bucks. Of course freight from Germany was the big cost. If you can duplicate the material cut it to size and install like I did.

Bryan (not Jeff).

I just looked for my old one & it's gone.

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 14 2007, 03:12 PM) *

Jeff,
Right on as usual.

I'll say this about the '72 models. Mine is a very later '72 (18725). Has the same yellow foam rubber piece, but has the newer jack, interia belts, etc that came with the mid-year change.

I'd prefer the full mat of the '73-74 cars because it has to keep some heat from the trunk for short trips. Long trips - no diff - it gets hot back there.

Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.