Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If I am going to put a cam in my 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
I am dropping my motor tomorrow afternoon and putting on new heads (that I am picking up from Skline in morning). How time consuming and difficult for a newby would it be to drop a web cam in? I have the proper literature, Haynes/rebuild vw air motor. Should I go for it? Or just run the original (my motor is carbed) FI cam? Would cracking open the block be too much work? I want to put a new cam in, being that the motor is already out and all...But I have a feeling I am falling into one of those, well I might as well while I am there kind of things...Basically I want it running in no longer than a week and half. Should I go for it, or bypass it and just put the motor back in?
??????? blink.gif ????? idea.gif
redshift
I have never built an engine. I think it would take me more than a week ana half to build an engine.

If you are not blessed with awesome FI, and you do go carbs (oh no!) you will benefit GREATLY by changing to a lumpy cam, like unreal..

M
ArtechnikA
the most deadly phrase in car-dom is "As Long As ..." (followed closely by "For Only A Little More" ...)

i would -not- suggest doing this at this time unless you have reliable second transportation.
you can always do it later, and now that you know how to get the engine out and the heads off, you'd only be saving another hour or so when the time comes to do it right.

you'll need new cam bearings. you'll want to replace your main bearings. you definitely want to replace the rod bearings. do you have access to the micrometers needed to measure your case and crank to know what size bearings you need ? (if you're taking the pistons and cylinders off, i recommend you do the rod bearings, but i do not recommend you go deeper than the heads if that's what you're in there to fix.)

if i were in your place, i'd do the cylinder head replacement i went in there for and not touch anything deeper.

learn (read and re-read) the rebuild procedures, watch Jake's video, truly understand what you're getting into and have all your parts sources lined up before trying to tackle this.

1,7's run just fine with properly sized carbs - i've done it. they do not run -better- than the FI, contrary to what the carb salesmen say, but they run just fine. get in, make your needed repairs, take your time putting it back together, and enjoy driving the car until you have a better opportunity to rebuild everything.

just MHO, since you ask ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.