Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hello 914 world newbie here ready to share my 914/8 project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR

Hi everyone,

I am new to 914 world but I am an old hand with porsches. I have owned 911's and 912's (all older ones)... but now I have my first 914. I have wanted to do a v8 conversion on a 914 for many years and finally made a great deal on a completely rust free dead straight 75 914 to complete my project.

Here is a picture of my new project:
Click to view attachment

I would love to get ideas on flares, tires sizes and wheels that you guys run. At the moment I am planning on steel 916 flares but I dont know if that will allow me to run big enough tires. I want to avoid something like the kits available from ultimate914.com since I want to drive my car on the street when ever the weather is good.

I am planning on running a LS1 engine and hopefully retain the efi. I am also planning on using a 915 with the wevo side shifter kit.

I could go on for a while but I will break here and look forward to responses.
Chris Pincetich
welcome.png
Wow, that looks like a nice car to start with. I've got my engine out and am working tonight to get it back in there and then drive it around again this weekend. Just a 1.7 now, with hopes for a swap in the near future. Good to see another East Bay 914 project here, where exactly are you located? I live in El Cerrito.
beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
There are some very sharp V8 guys here that could answer your Q's better than

I, but they are cramming some very large (225's /245's) under the 914/6 GT flairs

welcome.png

Click to view attachment
LarryR
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 15 2007, 09:47 PM) *

welcome.png
Wow, that looks like a nice car to start with. I've got my engine out and am working tonight to get it back in there and then drive it around again this weekend. Just a 1.7 now, with hopes for a swap in the near future. Good to see another East Bay 914 project here, where exactly are you located? I live in El Cerrito.
beerchug.gif

I am in Moraga. Good luck on getting yours back on the road. I work in Richmond though... We have lunch in El Cerrito frequently.
LarryR
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 15 2007, 09:49 PM) *

There are some very sharp V8 guys here that could answer your Q's better than

I, but they are cramming some very large (225's /245's) under the 914/6 GT flairs

welcome.png

Click to view attachment

That silver car is just sweet. I would be very interested in hearing the wheel offsets ... and if 245's hook well enough with a V8. I run 275's on my 74 911 with a 3.6 and for the most part they do ok ... But I only have 300 hp with that car... I will have ~25% more so I was hoping to some how squeeze 315's under there ... that could be impossible though.

thanks for the info and pic. beerchug.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png assimilate.gif
wbergtho
Nice looking white 914! Also that silver car looks extra sweet! Be careful to not spend too much $ on a 915 set up. I really like the WEVO sideshift kit. It's a well engineered system...don't get me wrong...but a 915 coupled to anything much over 350-400HP is not really a great idea. The gears are too short and the 2nd gear might blow off the shaft under the torque of an LS1. If you leave the LS1 bone stock (350HP), you might be ok...but I'm betting you will take advantage of the many upgrades that are available to these LS series motors now or in the future. So with that in mind, look seriously at a 930 box or better yet a G-50/50 turbo trans from an 89 911 turbo. The 930 trans will cost about the same as a tricked out WEVO modified 915 (maybe less) and has ideally suited gears for a V-8 ... a G50/50 will fetch a King's ransom...especially if you have the CA Motorsports billet sideshifter kit installed w/ everything freshoned up (approximately 12-13K). I have a 500+ HP LS6 in my 914 and use the Sheridan standard body (Ultimate914.com) and have 8 & 10 X 18" 993 TT wheels. You will have trouble hooking your car up with anything less than 285 or 295 mm wide tires. I plan on upgrading to 996 TT wheels on my car so I can get another inch width on the rears. It still won't be enough...but it will make things better.
So.Cal.914
So run the wider version, should be able to tuck Flintstone tires under there

with these babys.
wbergtho
Paul,

That thing looks real nice all freshly painted on the rotisserie!!! That extra wide body kit is F A T ! Do you run 12" or 13" wheels on the rear? BTW, how wide on the front? Like your car.
So.Cal.914
Not mine, I'm going with the standard 'GT' flair. It does look BAD though dosen't

it. I have seen a few running these, not sure what size tires/rims they run.
GS Guy
Hmmm..... I see Renegade now has an LS engine kit for 911 conversions.
Could an LS 914 kit be far behind???

Jeff
DEC
welcome.png
LarryR
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Mar 15 2007, 11:51 PM) *

Nice looking white 914! Also that silver car looks extra sweet! Be careful to not spend too much $ on a 915 set up. I really like the WEVO sideshift kit. It's a well engineered system...don't get me wrong...but a 915 coupled to anything much over 350-400HP is not really a great idea. The gears are too short and the 2nd gear might blow off the shaft under the torque of an LS1. If you leave the LS1 bone stock (350HP), you might be ok...but I'm betting you will take advantage of the many upgrades that are available to these LS series motors now or in the future. So with that in mind, look seriously at a 930 box or better yet a G-50/50 turbo trans from an 89 911 turbo. The 930 trans will cost about the same as a tricked out WEVO modified 915 (maybe less) and has ideally suited gears for a V-8 ... a G50/50 will fetch a King's ransom...especially if you have the CA Motorsports billet sideshifter kit installed w/ everything freshoned up (approximately 12-13K). I have a 500+ HP LS6 in my 914 and use the Sheridan standard body (Ultimate914.com) and have 8 & 10 X 18" 993 TT wheels. You will have trouble hooking your car up with anything less than 285 or 295 mm wide tires. I plan on upgrading to 996 TT wheels on my car so I can get another inch width on the rears. It still won't be enough...but it will make things better.

Thanks for the ideas on the tranny and tires/wheels. Very nice car too.

LarryR
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 16 2007, 12:09 AM) *

with these babys.

Those flares are huge! Where did you get them? Are they steel?

jd74914
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 16 2007, 10:40 AM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Mar 16 2007, 12:09 AM) *

with these babys.

Those flares are huge! Where did you get them? Are they steel?

They are steel flares that have been widened and made extra large. They were cut open and had extra metal welded back in the cut open section.
cobra94563
LarryR,
I'm in Orinda,(near the moraga border.) I just got my steel flares on, 245's on standard offset 9's is tight. 255's is max unless I get other offsets.

Chris
wbergtho

Scott & Mike don't like cutting the firewall and that is almost a necessity when putting an LS series motor in.

Bill
mrdezyne
Larry,
I'm running 275/40 R17's in the rear with HPH fiberglass flares. I have a progress thread with some pics at clubnarp.com under the Suby Scooby Doo forum. Feel free to check it out...

Welcome to the forum!
andys
Bill and I are both running the LS1 type water pump; mine is actually an LS2 pump, which is about 1 1/2" shorter. I changed the sepentine drive belt on mine to minimize intrusion into the firewall. Another LS1/LS6 conversion member here uses the Meziere remote mount mechanical pump which does not require cutting into the firewall.

I installed fibreglass flares, and put 255-40 x 17's on the rear.

Good luck. Keep us up dated on your progress.

Andys
LarryR
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Mar 16 2007, 10:33 AM) *

LarryR,
I'm in Orinda,(near the moraga border.) I just got my steel flares on, 245's on standard offset 9's is tight. 255's is max unless I get other offsets.

Chris

I would love to see your car. I am stuck at the house since my wife is at school and my daughter is having her birthday party. Our house is near Campolindo... Any chance you want to bring it by? My 914 is at the chasis shop now but I could show off my 74 911 to make it worth the trip beerchug.gif

You can drop me an email at larryratcliff'at'hotmail.com

LarryR
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Mar 16 2007, 10:35 AM) *

Scott & Mike don't like cutting the firewall and that is almost a necessity when putting an LS series motor in.

Bill

I am going tube frame in the whole back half. I wont have a firewall or trunk anymore.... I was going to buy a lot of the parts from their 911 kit to get the ls1 to work in my 914 though. The wiring harness, adapter etc... The only thing I have not figured out is where to source the mount but I will have one fabbed if it is not available off the shelf.

Crazyhippy
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Mar 16 2007, 10:35 AM) *

Bill

And can you blame them? They have to make the parts "idiot proof" chair.gif

Besides, people used to complain about having to notch into the rear trunk for HEI distributors, I'd love to hear the 1st phone call from someone who really has no idea what fab work really is cutting into the firewall of his car av-943.gif

I still dont like the LS series in 914's. Between the waterpump clearance, and the intake clearance (spin it and lose a big chunk of the rear trunk) Just not the best choice for a STREET 914...
BIGKAT_83
No cutting of the front firewall is needed when using a remote mount water pump. The rear bulkhesd needs to be cut for the throttle body about the same as you would cut for a HEI distributor on a old small block chevy.
This is with the transaxle mounted in the stock location. There is a way to mount a ls1 with the stock fuel injection in a 914 without cutting anything but would require some machine work on a aftermarket aluminum intake. The space needed for the throttle body and maf sender is less than if you mounted your battery in the rear trunk.

Bob
LarryR
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 17 2007, 04:44 PM) *

No cutting of the front firewall is needed when using a remote mount water pump. The rear bulkhesd needs to be cut for the throttle body about the same as you would cut for a HEI distributor on a old small block chevy.
This is with the transaxle mounted in the stock location. There is a way to mount a ls1 with the stock fuel injection in a 914 without cutting anything but would require some machine work on a aftermarket aluminum intake. The space needed for the throttle body and maf sender is less than if you mounted your battery in the rear trunk.

Bob

That looks like a cleanly installed LS1 .. I was wondering where you got the engine mount or is the engine mount the same on the LS1 as previous generation v8's?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.