bd1308
Joe,

what are you up to now wink.gif

b
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif woooo that thing is gonna rev.... cool_shades.gif
type11969
Joe-

When you bump the cylinders out that far, do you run into issues with the cylinders coming far enough out of the registers that they can move around radially in the registers? An engine I have been planning for a bit needs ~1/2 spacers if I run a certain combo and I seem to recall the area of the cylinder that mates into the block either having a taper or a step such that if I do pull them out that distance, they can move around. Maybe your cyls don't have this issue.

Hopefully that question makes sense.

-Chris
Joe Ricard
Nope not a problem for this engine. I suppose thereis anissue witht too much shim.

Using Jake's Support I am going top make a REVIN little bastard.
jd74914
Are you using the stock head studs? Are they long enough to work? Did you need to make any modifications to the waterboxer rods to get them to fit into the 2.0 crank (if you are using that) . . . how about on the piston side?

It is looking good clap56.gif
Cap'n Krusty
1.9 or 2.1 rods? We in the Vanagon community have seen a LOT of 2.1 big end failures. In fact, I cancelled plans to make my own Vanagon a 2.1. The Cap'n
brer
dude, those look sweet.
Aaron Cox
sexy pistons...
Joe Ricard
Type I big end with some sort of ARP "like" bolts. Type IV little end. Crank is modded for Type I journals.
Head bolts should be OK length wise won't know till I get the base shims.

Got stuck putting Ohlins on an Audi A4 today along with bigger sway bars and seriuos ly stiff springs. 1200lb on the rear

GEEZ that car is heavy.
Aaron Cox
71 mm stroke?

they welded up the journals to type 1 size? or custom/new crank?
Joe Ricard
Yup. makes 2098cc
Aaron Cox
what did the journal welding cost?

dude. this is gonna be a sick motor!
URY914
I've seen those P & C before. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 16 2007, 09:54 PM) *

what did the journal welding cost?

dude. this is gonna be a sick motor!

Crank was sourced from the mad man in Georgia. it's listed in his store.
Also got the intermediate balance. and it is really sweet.

Yea Paul lets just hope I got the skills to make use of them properly. driving.gif

Won't be a success till the car sits on the podium at a national event
Joe Ricard
Piston dome is 8cc
Used Playdough. easy as can be.
.172 sticking out + .040 negative deck makes for blanchard ground shim .212 equals static compression of 10.2:1
Tonight I am doing the end play and order all my shims at once.
got a mock up 2.0L head to do push rod length one shims and stuff get here.
Matt Romanowski
who is blanchard grinding shims?
DerekKim
"I wanna go fast!" Joe I think I want to buy your old motor. I'll talk to you when you come over Saturday.
Joe Ricard
I don't do financing. and it won't be cheap.

I might have spelled it wrong but it is the proccess Jake uses to machine or grind the shim perfect.
DerekKim
Yeah just hold it until I go out and work off shore for a month or so!
jwalters
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Mar 21 2007, 06:02 PM) *

who is blanchard grinding shims?

Is 'blanchard' a name of a machine??
jwalters
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Mar 21 2007, 06:21 PM) *

"I wanna go fast!" Joe I think I want to buy your old motor. I'll talk to you when you come over Saturday.

1.7!!!! Hmmmmmmmm idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif

I built a 1.7 for BlackSabbath ---- you know, 1.7 IMHO is the 'Holy Grail' of bore/stroke/rod ratio/multi combo of the century...........for the TEENER that is......... cool_shades.gif
Borderline
What heads you using? I wouldn't do the pushrod lengths until I got the heads back with the valves all set up. Jake's pushrod procedure calls for them to be pretty precise. Using a mock-up won't cut it. IMHO
jwalters
QUOTE(Borderline @ Mar 22 2007, 12:57 AM) *

What heads you using? I wouldn't do the pushrod lengths until I got the heads back with the valves all set up. Jake's pushrod procedure calls for them to be pretty precise. Using a mock-up won't cut it. IMHO

Yo borderline, which post are you referring???
DerekKim
Yeah... but Joe's motor is already built!
Joe Ricard
Hey no hi-jacking my Geeky Engine build thread.

FYI this is not my 1st rodeo. I know what I'm doing.

Yes Derek has driven my car on the autocross course so he knows how well it runs. Come to think of it there have been allot of peeps who have driven my car now.

Rob Watson
Charles Mclendon
Ya'll remember Sweater914 ?
Barry Mischler
Fred Hurst
Derek Kim
Hotdoger
and just about all my Autocross buddies that passed a credit check.

The engine Derek wants to buy is the one in my car now. and it ain't no 1.7L rocking nana.gif
balljoint
More geeky pics and more geeky details please. smile.gif
Matt Romanowski
blanchard grining is a machining process that makes things very flat. Loose tolerances are usually about .003 to under a micron.

Still not sure who's doing this on shims, unless they are buying ground material and then waterjet / wire cutting them out. But to get different thicknesses would be very expensive....
Joe Ricard
Go see Jakes Store. Just waiting for one of his Minions to call me back to place the order.

Hmm last night I did end play measurement on the crank and flywheel.
came out to needing .038 worth of shims.

I'll try and get some cool geeky pics of the 11 lb flywheel. 6 puc disk and indexed pressure plate and bolts.
brer
I think the thread is cool
does that mean I'm a geek?
DerekKim
All I can say is wow! w00t.gif Hey Joe you working on it tomorrow? I have to go get a buddy tomorrow in Gautier so I could stop by for a few. It would be around noon or 1 if he is off. I'll get a hold of him and let you know.
DerekKim
Dag scratch that he doesn't get off until 7! Ok back to Geeky Engine Progress!
Joe Ricard
So I got my parts from Jake today and it was like Christmas in April.
Got my .210 cylinder base shims, crank end play shims and push rods.
Deck came out perfect .037
Joe Ricard
Deck rig.
Notice I have #2 piston in #1 spot.
I will flip them all around till I get the most consistent measurements.
r_towle
your a geek, but that is good.
Joe Ricard
Oh and my fancy schmancy clutch and flywheel
914forme
Man that has got to be a light flywheel
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 4 2007, 07:30 PM) *

Oh and my fancy schmancy clutch and flywheel

Not much left of that flywheel is there, gonna be quick.
Joe Ricard
Cylinders and pistons were swapped around till I couldn't get any better.

Left bank
#1 .037
#2 .035

Right bank
#3 .040
#4 .040

If I was really up tight about it I might add a .003 paper gasket under the #2 cylinder Which would push it up a bit.
However the difference in compression ratio from #2 10.212 :1 and #4 is 10.272 :1 or pretty darn close. (WAY under factory spec)

Next is to cc the heads. Stock is roughly 62cc's which gives me the 10.2:1 with the combustion chambers shaved and leveled I expect near 61 cc's which bumps compression to 10.4:1
aktion035.gif
PeeGreen 914
Wow Joe

That looks good. That looks as if it is going to rip. More pics please.
Joe Ricard
we wieghed the flywheel and suprisingly it is 11 pounds, but there is alot of meat under the actual friction surface and as you can see less around the outside circumference.

Next pics will be of the heads with dual valve springs and setting up geometry and cutting push rods.

Won't be the prettiest motor of the bunch. Ya'll got that cornered. but it certainly won't be the slowest either.
DerekKim
Dang. It was such a rush when I drove your car at Columbus. Goes like stink before! I want a ride-a-long at the next event I go to. I'm shooting for the August trip. Hopefully my car will be finished.
Joe Ricard
Sounds cool to me. I even have new tires now. not them slippery buggers all 4 of us pounded on at Columbus Ms.
Joe Ricard
Ok that's better I got .035's on the 3-4 side and .033's on the 1-2 side
swapped rods and pistons after measuring everything out . Best part I like is the same numbers on the same sides.
DerekKim
Dude... I will pay for like half of a day or something if you let me drive it :-P I know it's worth a shot.
Joe Ricard
10.00 a run. that just covers the rubber.
DerekKim
Hmmm that wouldn't be so bad... Discount for tire warmers? 8-P
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.