Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Attach chrome trim pieces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I noticed that when I took off the chrome trim pieces around the window/roll bar that there is some black stickum on the back of them... when I reattach, what should I use? I have some stuff in a tube that is recommeded for attaching emblems, can I use that?

-- Rob
watsonrx13
No recommendations or opinions? sad.gif
Bleyseng
I have been trying myself to come up with something. Seamsealer or a poly caulk will work.
Michael N
When I reinstalled many of the chrome parts on my car after paint, I used small amount of the window seal bead ( butyl tape )I had left over from reinstalling the back window glass. I pinch off a small amount and stretched it so there was a little to act as a seal and give adhesion. It was similar to the sticky black "stuff" that was under it prior to removal for paint.
sww914
QUOTE(Michael N @ Mar 16 2007, 08:19 PM) *

When I reinstalled many of the chrome parts on my car after paint, I used small amount of the window seal bead ( butyl tape )I had left over from reinstalling the back window glass. I pinch off a small amount and stretched it so there was a little to act as a seal and give adhesion. It was similar to the sticky black "stuff" that was under it prior to removal for paint.

agree.gif
Butyl tape is the right stuff. You can get it at any autobody supply. It comes in different diameters, but you can stretch it to suit.
watsonrx13
Thanks everyone.... Butyl tape, hmm, I just installed the rear window and happened to have some left over.... biggrin.gif

This board rocks..... rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif

-- Rob
Gint
That's what I planned to use as well. It seemed like the closest match to what came off of the trim.
watsonrx13
I attached the chrome strip using your recommendations ... here's a shot of the 1/4" butyl tape stretched out....

Thanks again for the suggestions....

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.