Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzapisek
I struck gold two years ago when I found a 73' 1.7 with only 19K original miles. It had been in heated storage for 15 years and became available due to a nasty divorce. Unfortunatley the car was attacked by the wife with a wooden cane the day before I picked it up ( was able to adjust the price). This left 10 hammer sized dents in the front hood and fenders.

The paint was the original black and faded with age. I am arranging for the car to be completely repainted and the dents removed. We have checked everywhere (hell hole, rockers, doors sills, cowl,..) no rust at all. The only place we found any rust was behind the rubber trunk seal near one headlight.

What price tag should I expect to pay for this scope of work? I have quotes from 3k to 6k+.

Thanks.
Bleyseng
Sounds about right...What are they spraying it with?
r_towle
Just a thought.
It may be a cit cheaper in Canada, not sure...but the Canuucks may chime in...

Rich
mzapisek
Update: We did find upon further inspection a very small spot behind the drivers side rocker (really just surface rust) and a small bubble on the inside lip of the rear trunk.

The paint being quoted by the high end guy is Glasurit. He claims that its the best. I am leaning toward the expensive guy because he has a great rep and his work appears to be great.
Bleyseng
spend your money now instead of paying for repairs to a new paint job or to a lawyer. Go with the more expensive guy. clap56.gif
tdgray
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 17 2007, 12:02 PM) *

spend your money now instead of paying for repairs to a new paint job or to a lawyer. Go with the more expensive guy. clap56.gif

Absa-freakin-lutley agree.gif

You will be sorry later if you do not have the best job done possible.

Remember, unless it is a specialty restoration shop (and those are huge bucks)... regular collision shops hate working on old cars.

Your project will be pushed out of the way for everything else that will actually make them money right now... expect it.

One of my best friends owns a very profitable collision shop. He does my cars too... but I know not to expect them back for three or four months. He's got guys to pay and mouths to feed. Just the facts of the biz.

mzapisek
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to use the expensive guy. Any thoughts on the best paint to use? He is telling me that Glasurit was actually the original factory paint. Is that true?
jd74914
QUOTE(mzapisek @ Mar 19 2007, 12:32 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to use the expensive guy. Any thoughts on the best paint to use? He is telling me that Glasurit was actually the original factory paint. Is that true?

Yep, thats true smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.