Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adhear basket weave on dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
pin31
Anyone know what type of glue to use. Best technique?
magaoidh
QUOTE(pin31 @ Mar 16 2007, 03:14 PM) *

Anyone know what type of glue to use. Best technique?

Tim,Try using grease remover on both surfaces or metho and then judiciously try super glue. It worked for me!
Regards Geoff
jk76.914
I fought with mine for years after I installed it with plain contact cement. Then 3 years ago, I put another new one in and used 3M Super Trim Adhesive, part number 08090. It's still sticking strong.

It was most of a Saturday's job. I had to make a new template, out of paper, which was very time consuming. Second longest act was masking. This stuff is in a spray can, so I masked everything around the dash. Since the car was coming back together, all of the switches, the radio, and even the heater control box were already out....

You spray 3-4 light coats on both the dash and the back of the basketweave, and allow it to flash between coats- maybe 5 minutes. This is the fun part. It's important to build up to a pretty thick coat, because the back of the basketweave is covered with nubbs. They've got to sink into something for it to hold.

After everything's covered with the goop, position it and press. I started from the left, and moved across to the passenger side. The glue seems to soften the vinyl, which allows it to curve easily over the few irregularities in the dash panel. In fact, I used the same stuff on the vinyl roof on the rollbar, and it stretched into some pretty convoluted surfaces. Today, it looks like it was painted onto the surface, it is such a good fit....

To make things a bit easier, I cut the openings- round holes for switches, rectangular holes for the heater controls, etc- after the stuff was glued in. I used an X-Acto knife, and it came out nice.

In addition to gluing the vinyl roof and the basketweave dash, I used the same stuff for the Perlon carpet inside and on the bulkhead in front of the fuel tank.

You use a lot. I recommend you buy 2 cans to do the dash. If you have a full can left over, you're better off than running out and not using enough and risking peeling again.

You can get it online, or I saw it at the local Autozone as well.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...mizePageHandler

Good luck
Jim

Click to view attachment

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 16 2007, 07:08 PM) *

I fought with mine for years after I installed it with plain contact cement. Then 3 years ago, I put another new one in and used 3M Super Trim Adhesive, part number 08090. It's still sticking strong.

It was most of a Saturday's job. I had to make a new template, out of paper, which was very time consuming. Second longest act was masking. This stuff is in a spray can, so I masked everything around the dash. Since the car was coming back together, all of the switches, the radio, and even the heater control box were already out....

You spray 3-4 light coats on both the dash and the back of the basketweave, and allow it to flash between coats- maybe 5 minutes. This is the fun part. It's important to build up to a pretty thick coat, because the back of the basketweave is covered with nubbs. They've got to sink into something for it to hold.

After everything's covered with the goop, position it and press. I started from the left, and moved across to the passenger side. The glue seems to soften the vinyl, which allows it to curve easily over the few irregularities in the dash panel. In fact, I used the same stuff on the vinyl roof on the rollbar, and it stretched into some pretty convoluted surfaces. Today, it looks like it was painted onto the surface, it is such a good fit....

To make things a bit easier, I cut the openings- round holes for switches, rectangular holes for the heater controls, etc- after the stuff was glued in. I used an X-Acto knife, and it came out nice.

In addition to gluing the vinyl roof and the basketweave dash, I used the same stuff for the Perlon carpet inside and on the bulkhead in front of the fuel tank.

You use a lot. I recommend you buy 2 cans to do the dash. If you have a full can left over, you're better off than running out and not using enough and risking peeling again.

You can get it online, or I saw it at the local Autozone as well.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_U...mizePageHandler

Good luck
Jim

Click to view attachment

Jim,

Good choice & good method. Did mine in '79 by the same method, using the 3m products of the day. No curling, peeling, etc after nearly 30 years. Glop it on, let it partially set & glop it on again - both sides. Put it in place & leave it alone for a week. You'll never have to think about it again.
DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE!!!!!!!! Destroys the vinyl & doesnt take to heat.
Pat

Tobra
If and when I have to do this, (when, LOL) I will use Barge Cement. It is used in shoe/leather repair and brushes on. It is designed for use with leather and vinyl.

That spray shat gets every damn place, works okay but makes a helluva place. With that sort of glue, to get best adherence, apply to both surface, let dry 5-10 minutes, put it together and it will stay as long as you want it to
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.