Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4combo 2270 ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
So I bought a roller, recognized it as a pelican car , this is the motor, any good?
should I take apart and part it or sell whole, has been sitting and some corrosion in one intake port , water ? Whats it worth together ? pieces?
Thanks for your input;
here is the description from the pelican build thread:

specs on the motor, it's a 2270 comprised of a 78mm crank, lightened and balanced rods, 96mm balanced and lightened pistons weight balanced within .5 grams, a SCAT 275 duration X 490 lift cam and SCAT lube-a-lobe lifters, straight cut cam gears, high performance springs and dual 45 Dellorto carbs.

If it were a six I would exactly know what it is worth being a type 4 , I have no idea ,
sixnotfour
It is oil film covered now, was removed to fix oil cooler leak and has sat since.
old thread;
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....ighlight=skline
anthony
It costs $5K to build up a 2270. The carbs are worth some money. I think if you get it running, compression, and leak down tested that you'll get top dollar.
messix
oh god it's yellow!

it's not worth any thing.

i'll be by tomorrow to get that out of your eye site, i wouldn't even feel right about asking for gas money to do it either, i'm just that nice of a guy. biggrin.gif

i'll trade you a proper black and oil stained 1,8l for it!
Bleyseng
What rods?

Switch out the cam/lifters to some Raby ones that will make power and last.

Then its a really good motor that will last. Start it up and tune then sell it. Lots of motors were built during the bad cam period, is this one?
rhodyguy
well...the carb linkage is on backwards. do you know where the leak is? bring it down, add some plug wires and oil, plug it into the silver car and see how it runs. need any rhodys? i have LOTS to trade.

carbs not needing a renew including linkage-$300 to 400, heads (2.0)- the ones you saw fetched $300 (iirc). rods-maybe $100 prob less. 2.0 tin $100 to 130. did it come with heat exchangers?

k
sixnotfour
SSI's I took em , Has dave said linkage now , carbs off in a box, oil cooler I was told .

Rods ell if I know ?
lightened and balanced rods

Scat lubealobe , good/ bad ?
Bleyseng
ok, its a mystery motor then. Rod and piston combo plus the cam makes or breaks it.

I am not a fan of SCAT...lots of em eat themselves to death.
rhodyguy
jeff, post a picture of the triad and i'll compare it to mine. if it's the newer version it's worth some dough. with the *unknowns* factor i think the value lies in the components rather than the engine as a whole. this is dependent on what else is still on the engine, ie thermostat, oil temp sending unit... what would you be satisfied in seeing out of this engine. call me if you want to.

k
914werke
the vultures are salivating drooley.gif biggrin.gif
messix
[he thinks about it and wonders if the old L-jet could run on that long block?]
rhodyguy
dry.gif

k
sixnotfour
HAHA, just found this thread ,, I had Rich D. take the thing apart.. total POS...stock crank and rod, case line board with some over bore bearings and some not.....what a mess
r_towle
Resurrecting your own 9 year old threads?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 8 2016, 02:53 AM) *

Resurrecting your own 9 year old threads?

yes because Rich D, took it apart last summer2015 ...shiny POS engine ..filling in the blanks.. poke.gif
rhodyguy
Was this the engine out of the car Jon B bought in California?
sixnotfour
yes
doesn't the carbs and linkage look familiar ??
rhodyguy
Stromberg had a hand in that engine.
Dave_Darling
I'm not sure that's exactly what he had in that engine.... bootyshake.gif stromberg.gif

--DD
rhodyguy
I know the story behind the car it came out of. Had I bought the car someone would have been behind bars or given an attorney serious money hoping not to wind up behind those bars.
914werke
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 8 2016, 11:40 AM) *
I'm not sure that's exactly what he had in that engine.... bootyshake.gif stromberg.gif
--DD

I can tell/show ya barf.gif
Mark Henry
Always be leery of a shiny motor.

I had a guy I was building a motor for wanting to sell me a shiny motor (1.8, 914) his buddy picked up at a show for $800. I told him I wasn't interested, but he keep badgering me so I told him to bring it up and I'll do a quick compression test.
Real clean engine...too clean...
Pulled the plugs, put the starter fixture on it and touched the battery.

Frick'in must of been a liter of water shot out the plug holes. Obviously it had been powerwashed.

Guys face went white, which was a neat trick for a black guy. I knew right away there was no "buddy".
I looked at him and said "I'll give you $50 for a core".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.