Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sick running engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
I have a 73 1.7 with FI.............. I am having problems when accelerating, the engine hesitates or jerks severely and will smoothes out after driving down the road, but I can feel the periodic missing. I had the car checked out for a possible electrical short and the electrical checked out good. I would appreciate your expertise and any suggestions or list of possible components that might be the problem.
I share the compassion for my 914, but reliability and to much garage time to the point of cerebration creeping into my mind; please help .
bd1308
once you get the big stuff sorted out, it gets VERY reliable

my car has been running daily for a long time.

it starts and runs
jim912928
I had something similar and found it to be the connectors on my fuel injectors..wires were old and would make contact and then not. It was random and drove me nuts until I started jiggling the fuel injector wires.
Bleyseng
Can be lots of issues:

dirty injectors/gas-change fuel filter
bad FI grounds-clean
bad FI connectors/wires-fix or replace
vacuum leaks-find and fix or replace hoses/gaskets
sticking advance- clean dizzy and lube
dirty TPS-clean or replace

Its a 30yr ole car, it does have maintanence that needs to be done on it. chair.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
call me and we can work through it if you like.
jk76.914
Mine was a lean miss. Happened around 3000-3750 rpm, then smoothed out. I finally verified it by tweaking the fuel pressure up to about 32 PSI. That was just to test the theory, because that richens the mixture across the board. Finally replaced the fuel injectors.

You can also try a ballast resistor in series with the cylinder head temp sensor. If the miss goes away, you've confirmed a lean miss.

10% ethanol in our fuels doesn't help. If you're running right on the edge, mixture wise, with gasoline, you may be too lean with the gasohol. I haven't been able to prove anything either way, since I can't get pure gasoline anymore here in the Northeast, but with no lambda feedback to correct for it, it doesn't help.

Jim
sean_v8_914
there are only 23 connections on teh ECU plug. it should take less than 30 minutes to do a full system check. pull the ECU. remove the connector. test per teh values on :
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
it is oNLY 17 check points done with a simple ohm meter. this will check teh FI components thru teh FI wire harness. if you get a bad reading, wiggle the connector at the compnent, if still bad, measure the component directly
sean_v8_914
piece O pie
SGB
you might try changing sparkplugs first....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.