Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speakers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Johny Blackstain
I was curious as to what everyone recommends for stereo speakers that sound OK, fit & are concours acceptable? All thoughts welcome & being an audio engineer I'm sorry to tell everyone that speakers deteriorate over time just like tires & seals headbang.gif . This is happening to your home speakers as well & is unfortunately normal. Anyway, what's good, fits & will pass judging huh.gif ?

McMark
Johny, I haven't got any advice for you, but I would be curious to know/see what stock speakers looked like.
Johny Blackstain
Actually so would I. The LE did not come w/ a stereo & my Father & I installed one around 1975 (some Japanese AM/FM stereo), I don't have it anymore. I now have a Blaupunkt AM/FM/CD in her... not very concours. I have matching coax speakers that fit but also stand out & actually cracked one of my grills. Really don't sound that great either, & the car it'self has a lot to do w/ that. Bought a replacement grill on eBay & was going to futz w/ that after I settle in my new digs. Perhaps I'll post some info on that when I get to it. Also thinking I should put the CD in the 6 & get an antique Blaupunkt ($$$) for the LE. A cheap & simple replacement speaker they sell @ Radio Shack nationwide fits best however sounds like tin. I think it's a 4x6 or 3x5 & is under $30 for the pair.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 19 2007, 02:40 AM) *

Johny, I haven't got any advice for you, but I would be curious to know/see what stock speakers looked like.

Mark,

I'll take some pics & send them along.

Super stock only. They're not great, they work, and who listens to the radio in a Porsche anyway? You don't want to hear those glorious noises behid you?

Anyway, I'm off for a photo session.
Pat
orthobiz
It's true that the rubbery surrounds on speakers in general deteriorate into dust with age. I guess the question is what can you put inside the original speaker boxes? Apparently there is a mismatch in commonly available sizes, hence the availability of adapters to allow for mounting of modern day speakers.

So if the speakers are bad, what's the best way to refurbish them?

Anyone have experience with the adapters? (I lost the source for these)

Paul
Johny Blackstain
I made my own adapters out of extremely thin plywood, spray painted them black, mounted them to the stock enclosures & in turn mounted the speakers to the plywood. The main problem I encountered was the heater tubes that run directly behind the enclosures; they're so big they bump into the magnets on the backs of my speakers. This brings up another "catch 22"- the larger the magnet the better the sound but then they don't fit headbang.gif ! So you wind up getting Radio Shack tin because they fit well w/ their small magnets. As for the deteriorating rubber you can always have a speaker re-coned, if you can find someone that still practices the ancient art. Like everything else in our "disposable" society now they just get pitched & replaced.

orthobiz
So I guess the final question is: can Pat tell there's an adapter and are you gonna get dinged on concours points?

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 21 2007, 04:37 PM) *

So I guess the final question is: can Pat tell there's an adapter and are you gonna get dinged on concours points?

Paul

Paul,

"get dinged" depends on (1) whether the adapters are quickly noticeable and (2) how much time an interior judge has - most events have time limits for the judges (anywhere from 5-10 minutes). If a good judge has time to spot them, you'll probably get dinged for adapters. Wouldn't be a huge ding, but every 10th of a point counts in some events.

Couple of pics from my '72.

BTW, I've never installed an antenna through the body, but can still listen to my Blaupunkt Frankfort. Anyone care to guess about my removable "interior antenna"? (It's not in the windshield).

Pat
orthobiz
Pat: Does sound come out of your speakers? or are the surrounds blown?

I guess that....YOU are the human antenna. When you listen to the radio, you hold the volume knob to get better reception.

BTW, in cars that have no radio installed, are there empty speaker boxes mounted? If you chose to do a radio delete, will removing the speaker boxes likely to leave telltale holes and funny carpet markings?

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 21 2007, 09:44 PM) *

Pat: Does sound come out of your speakers? or are the surrounds blown?

I guess that....YOU are the human antenna. When you listen to the radio, you hold the volume knob to get better reception.

BTW, in cars that have no radio installed, are there empty speaker boxes mounted? If you chose to do a radio delete, will removing the speaker boxes likely to leave telltale holes and funny carpet markings?

Paul

Paul,

No, I'm not the human antenna - though if I took some iron pills.....

The rubber/vinyl/whatzit surrounds are just fine & they produce the same 1972 quality sound as ever. I've never even though of trying to keep them up, but still very flexible so I won't start now with any kind of goo.

My recollection is that all radio-delete cars (pre-'75 at least) had grills & blanks in them. Probably to hide the ugly heating tubes just behind them. After this many years, you'd probably see some color difference on the carpet if they were removed, but the screws don't hold them tightly enough to cause a "ridge" in the carpet that wouldn't disappear over time. The screws in the carpet would disappear too, but probably not on the side panels. Best to leave the grills & blanks in place for a concours car.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
Yes, non radio equiped cars came w/ speaker enclosures & they do hide the huge heating tubes. I don't remember there being any "blanks". I have installed/changed the stereo twice now in 33 yrs. If you look at my enclosures you'd never know I have adapters in there. You would however know that I have the smallest coax speakers Blaupunkt made 4 years ago that kind of fit laugh.gif. Pat I understand your fear of drilling & think you would have loved my Dad. He did it, on the left fender, perfect size, no chipping (taped over), calm, steady, fearless & flawless. I was 12 & freaking out... I'd never seen anyone take a drill up to a car at that point in my life biggrin.gif . He took out a bottle of touch up paint & covered the raw edge, let it dry & it never rusted there, ever! Installed the antenna & voila, radio. Oh yeah, human beings do make adequate FM antennas.

orthobiz
OK, Pat, I guessed wrong about the antenna. What is your removable secret?

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 22 2007, 05:02 PM) *

Paul

Well, and this is NOT concours, this is MY method to play the radio when I want, without EVER drilling a hole in the fender. Yeah, I know, I'm extremely anal about this. NO, I will NEVER drill the hole. Whoever inherits my 914 can, if they wish, but not me.

First off, I almost never listen to the radio. My Frankfurt has probably had no more than 200 hours playing time since late '72. I'd just rather listen to the sounds of the car - listen to the radio/whatever all the time in my other cars.

Back to my method. A ten penny nail, with a speaker wire loop soldered to the head. Plug it in - drape the wire on the dashtop - radio works just fine. Pull it out for concours & no one's the wiser. Never had a judge ask me why I have a radio but no antenna. If he did, I'd simply tell him he's supposed to be judging the INTERIOR for originality, and nothing else.

BTW, my original speaker enclosures (non-radio) had a black plastic plate that covered the inside, sorta like a blank. Have no idea what became of it.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 22 2007, 09:15 PM) *

Paul

Well, and this is NOT concours, this is MY method to play the radio when I want, without EVER drilling a hole in the fender. Yeah, I know, I'm extremely anal about this. NO, I will NEVER drill the hole. Whoever inherits my 914 can, if they wish, but not me.

First off, I almost never listen to the radio. My Frankfurt has probably had no more than 200 hours playing time since late '72. I'd just rather listen to the sounds of the car - listen to the radio/whatever all the time in my other cars.

Back to my method. A ten penny nail, with a speaker wire loop soldered to the head. Plug it in - drape the wire on the dashtop - radio works just fine. Pull it out for concours & no one's the wiser. Never had a judge ask me why I have a radio but no antenna. If he did, I'd simply tell him he's supposed to be judging the INTERIOR for originality, and nothing else.

BTW, my original speaker enclosures (non-radio) had a black plastic plate that covered the inside, sorta like a blank. Have no idea what became of it.
Pat

I really don't remember a black plastic cover but I don't doubt you. First time I went in there was 32 years ago! Your antenna dilema has me thinking of the 916 w/ it's integrated windshield/antenna (see attached immage)... anybody still make one of those?

ClayPerrine
If you are really careful, you can pull up the chrome trim around the windshield and put a piece of wire inbetween the windshield and the frame. Then put the chrome trib back. Hook that to the antenna lead and you will have an adequite antenna for most urban areas.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 23 2007, 12:49 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 22 2007, 09:15 PM) *

Paul

Pat

I really don't remember a black plastic cover but I don't doubt you. First time I went in there was 32 years ago! Your antenna dilema has me thinking of the 916 w/ it's integrated windshield/antenna (see attached immage)... anybody still make one of those?

cool_shades.gif

The first 10 years I owned this car I had a windshield antenna - and it worked perfectly. Got it from J C WhippMe in '72. Wire embedded in clear tale, that surrounded the windshield edges. Got rid of it when a the tape started to yellow & a concours judge gigged me for it. Went to the soldered nail -to-speaker wire version after that.

BTW - haven't listened to the radio in the 914 for almost 15 years. It's a radio! What's to listen to? The good music is behind my ears, solid lefters or no.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 27 2007, 09:40 PM) *

BTW - haven't listened to the radio in the 914 for almost 15 years. It's a radio! What's to listen to? The good music is behind my ears, solid lefters or no.
Pat

Pat- the only time I listen to the radio is on a long road trip. Nothing like rolling down Rt. 211 in the 4 w/ the top off, listening to the Alman Brothers "Ramblin Man". I guess it's just the redneck in me biggrin.gif . Occasionaly turn it down & listen to make sure everything is OK & then back to highway music. Sounds like stromberg.gif but at least it's tunes.

McMark
I've never run across any speaker blanks. It would be interesting to see those.
bembry
Zombie thread alert:

So what is the size for the speakers that fit originally in the enclosures? If I go to Radio Shack and score some cheapies, are they 4"X 6"? Something else? Please advise. I'm putting my old Blaupunkt in, and currently have nothing behind my old cracked speaker grills.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 21 2007, 12:21 PM) *

It's true that the rubbery surrounds on speakers in general deteriorate into dust with age. I guess the question is what can you put inside the original speaker boxes? Apparently there is a mismatch in commonly available sizes, hence the availability of adapters to allow for mounting of modern day speakers.

So if the speakers are bad, what's the best way to refurbish them?

Anyone have experience with the adapters? (I lost the source for these)

Paul

Bliz,
You are correct re: the rubbery surrounds - they do deteriorate. This is not limited to 914 speakers. Though I use a Bose system for audio/tv that is simply awesome, I have a set of monstrous Utah MP300 speakers from the pre-Bose years. Each wieghs just at 50 pounds & used to rock my world. Plugged them into a prior primo stereo system 2 months ago, played The Ballad of Evermore, and the 18" woofers blew themselves out of the membrane! May have played it a little too hearty?

Not to make this off-topic, but the point is - rubber membranes have limited life, even in a 914. I now have some fine cabinetry, with useless guts!

Problem is - 914 speakers have (as I recall) metric measurements & screw downs.

Suspect mine won't be up to the task after 38 years.

Has anyone tried Crutchfield? That's where I got mine originally.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.