Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift bar question and ground strap question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sweathappens
I removed my engine and transmission recently and had to drill out the allen screws on the shift bar. What about drilling through the bar on both ends and inserting nuts and bolts? It looks like it would work fine to me.

Also, what kind of problems would not reattaching the ground strap when reinstalling the engine and trans cause?

Thanks
rhodyguy
the lack of a ground strap could result in melted cables due the voltage seeking a new ground source. put one on. the bolt thing might work, prob just as easy to buy a used rear rod with good threads for the set screws. time/hassle/proper assem vs a few bucks for a rod.

k
sww914
If you drill through and use nuts and bolts, there will be a tiny bit of slack as a result of the holes being large enough fot the bolts to slide in. These shifters aren't very forgiving of slack, and the holes will just get bigger with time/use, and the problem will get worse and worse.
The Porsche set pins allow no slack, and that's what you need.
sweathappens
Can I just replace the swivel at the shifter end of the rod and the brass fitting at the transaxle end?
rhodyguy
prob just as easy to buy a used rear rod

k
LarryR
No ground strap could cause melted wires or worse... could cause a fire... melted wires tend to be extremely hot and like to ignite things.
jr91472
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 17 2007, 04:28 PM) *

No ground strap could cause melted wires or worse... could cause a fire... melted wires tend to be extremely hot and like to ignite things.

It also keeps you from dropping the tranny when you take it out to work on the clutch. biggrin.gif
sweathappens
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Mar 17 2007, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 17 2007, 04:28 PM) *

It also keeps you from dropping the tranny when you take it out to work on the clutch. biggrin.gif

Thanks guys. I got two good used ends for my shift rad and definately used a ground strap. Now on to other problems. I am now having problems getting my engine to idle properly. I have posted for that problem now. I sure hope somebody has an answer that works.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.