Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: frothy transmission oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tabs914
confused24.gif Decided to change out the gear oil and a whole lot of latte came out. Is this normal or is this a warning to what is to come? I drove the car around the block before I did this. Might seem like a dumb question but this is the first time for me.

Thanks in advance...
type47fan
Usually a result of moisture getting inside the case. Probably condensation, IMHO.
Tobra
Yeah, emuslified oil and water, probably nothing, unless tom kruse drove it into Lake Michigan or something, which is unlikely
tabs914
Thanks Guys...I do have a small leak, so I guess if I fix the leak. I fix the latte issue... biggrin.gif
Tobra
It is probably leaking out, you get a little bit of moisture in from the vent on top, most of them leak some, the speedo drive is a favorite spot to drip.

How long was that oil in there?
Midtowner
Can 914's rust from the inside out with latte oil? blink.gif
DBCooper
Not rust, exactly, but the moisture is not exactly a good lubricant and will corrode non-contact surfaces. Just change the oil.
tabs914
QUOTE(Tobra @ Mar 17 2007, 10:21 PM) *

It is probably leaking out, you get a little bit of moisture in from the vent on top, most of them leak some, the speedo drive is a favorite spot to drip.

How long was that oil in there?

Well the speedo drive seal was just replaced, but I think there is a small pin hole where the rear muffler cross bracket brace attaches to the tranny? It looks as if someone machined a ledge right above the speedo drive for this brace. Is this a stock ledge? Maybe they machined it to far? What kind of compound should I use to fill this tiny hole (size of a pin head) JB weld? What do you think?

I plan on pulling the transmission within the week to seal things up. I have a leak at the main shaft seal as well...tranny fluid fo sure, not oil. The oil is a mix of new and old. I have been topping it off every couple of weeks, and this last time I put a little too much in and a whole lota Latte out...so I draind it and filled it with roughly 2 qts of 85w 140 from NAPA.

While I have it out should I just get a complete seal kit...is it a no brainer or am in over my head. I am not a mechanic, but I have replaced a Saab 900 clutch and of course my 914. BMW brake upgrade. Rebuilt the calipers and machined them to fit. Rebuilt the 914 master cylinder and lots of small misc. stuff.

Thanks for the input...
Dr Evil
Hey man,
they all got it, it is water in your oil. It only takes a little and since you have been adding to your old oil with new it will still be contaminated. Sealing the tranny is not too hard if you take your time and dont force, break, score, or otherwise damage anything from impatience. Check my tranny link in my sig line for how to remove the stack so you can reseal the case. Pics are worth 1000 words wink.gif For the oil, I tend to use 80w90 instead of the 140. As for possible damage, clean, inspect and lube the stack while it is out and see if all fo the surfaces are in good order. See how much deflection you can get between the input and lay shafts. More than about 1/16" is indicative of a possible bearing failure in the intermediate plate.
HTH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.