Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 944 Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nohair
huh.gif Well, I have tried to use the search engine to find out how the 944 brakes can be used on the 914, but I have had no luck
I have seen "passing" statements on useing the 944 stuff but I cannot figure out the right way to"ask" the search engine to get any info-
can they be used? or am I just not thinking outside the paper bag?
thanks (I hope!)
Nohair
Aaron Cox
951 (944 turbo) calipers, are 3.75" c to c spacing. they require a 3.5" later 911 setup, and you have to slot the ears 1/8" toward the center to fit them on a 3.5" setup.

rotors? i think you can use the carerra 24mm wide ones....

Search pelican about it to...

clay perrine is running em on his car...

he can chime in here.
LarryR
I had purchased a set for my 911 before upgrading to 911 turbo brakes. The best way to mod them is to take them to a machinist (or yourself if you have the equipment) ... overbore the mount hole then have an ofset bored plug installed into the big bore if that makes sense...

basically what you wind up with is bolt holes that line up with no slop in the mount studs. I took mine to german precision in SJ to have it done.
Aaron Cox
thats slick!

ClayPerrine
They actually have to be redrilled both inward and upward so the caliper fits down on the rotor more.

Then use the 911 carrera rotors.

IF you want to run the rears, you have to remove the mounting tab from the trailing arm and weld on a new one with the proper bolt spacing.

davep
Clay, can you give precise dimensions for the modification please, particularly how much up. That way I can make the correct template. Will this help with rim clearance or will we still need 16" rims for enough clearance?

Anyone know the piston sizes for each of the various 944 4-piston calipers. I have a pair that have 4 x 28mm pistons, so I'm assuming they are rears.

I took mine apart for cleaning. Those screws for the stainless plates are a bitch, but do respond well to a torch. Does anyone know what caulking is used by Brembo under the heads of the screws?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(davep @ Mar 18 2007, 08:11 AM) *

Clay, can you give precise dimensions for the modification please, particularly how much up. That way I can make the correct template. Will this help with rim clearance or will we still need 16" rims for enough clearance?

Anyone know the piston sizes for each of the various 944 4-piston calipers. I have a pair that have 4 x 28mm pistons, so I'm assuming they are rears.

I took mine apart for cleaning. Those screws for the stainless plates are a bitch, but do respond well to a torch. Does anyone know what caulking is used by Brembo under the heads of the screws?

Sorry, but no I can't give you the dimensions. I took mine to Wes Hildreth and handed him money. He did the machining for me. I just remember seeing the holes redrilled in the proper location were both in and upward to lower the caliper.

Gary
Funny, Wes Hildreth did my 951 caliper conversion up front, via Rich Johnson as part of a 5 bolt upgrade package. The solution 10 years ago was to cut and remount the caliper ears on the struts the correct spacing and depth. I used Boge struts to allow Koni or Bilstein inserts. Using carrera rotors, 16" Fuchs.

Works great. Another way to skin the cat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.