Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: might be ditching the teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrhurtalot
i was offered a 68 vette stingray amazing condition for 15k by a friend from my church, who also lives down the street. hes getting rid of it because he also found what hes wanted forever. a soft top camaro ss (dunno what year)

i was wondering how much i could get for a nice condition teener? its a 74 2.0

runs good except the tranny needs a tad bit of work.
highways
Nice condition is all relative.I guess it depends on how 'nice' nice is. If the rubber looks brand spanking new, the paint is flawless, and ofcourse no rust leprechons- I would call that really nice. But most of us fall somewhere else. I'd say $3000-$8000. Ofcourse- I don't think the higher price range has a very fast turn over rate unless we're talking really nice. I'm no expert though so don't quote me.

Realistically- $3000 isn't that much. Why don't you keep the teener, take out a little loan for the stinger- then you get to do some fun comparitive driving. biggrin.gif

teener topless: driving-girl.gif

stinger retro guy: MDB2.gif
Twystd1
I agree... Keep em both. At least for 1 year... And then se which car you want to get rid of...

Put classic car insurance on em both. Thats CHEAP!!!!!

Clayton

DBCooper
Ever notice how many used Corvettes there are for sale in the Sunday paper's classifieds? It looks like the average length of ownership for those cars couldn't be much more than two years, with the two happiest days the same as owning a boat. I guess if you have to have it then you have to, but if your 914's really nice why don't you hang on to it? Later, when you wish you still had it, you'll be sad to find that the really nice teeners aren't easy to find. Or or course if you need some quick cash you could sell it to me...
bd1308
too bad you're in OK.

My dad really wants a 914, and he has a 79 he was given.
Gint
You guys are slow...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

...of both cars of course.

smile.gif
rick 918-S
A vette owner friend of mine told me, anyone can buy a vette but not many can afford to own one. Cost of ownership has degraded many a vette over time. That's why you see so many in the paper for sale. Think about having a vette and needing a little tranny work. Will you fix it or let it ride...

This coming from a GM fan.... blink.gif I've painted several vettes from 58 to 68. They were all plastic pigs.
JPB
Sell the teener? That would be a day you would never forget. Vetts are cool but with a FG body, expect to run wires for as long as you own it. Two wires to almost everything is what will make that car work. They have big grounding issues. Like wires and electrical? One good thing about a Vet is that when its parked in your driveway collecting tree sap, it won't rust like other cars and would make a swell lawn ornament. If you have 30% to put down on it, then you can afford it. beer.gif

I am an antivettight!
orthobiz
Prices are on the rise. The 74 2.0 is considered the second best year by many, next to the less-emissions-encumbered 73.

Options can make the car much more desirable: wheels, sways, chrome bumpers, fogs/instruments.

Mileage also. Lots of factors. I just paid 14K for a 74 1.8.

Paul
If your looking at selling let me know. There are some guys around here that want one since I got mine. Also might buy it for my Dad. He had a 73 1.7 in college and never got over it.
KELTY360
$15K for a '68 Vette? You'll make your neighbor a very happy man everytime he sees it driving past him...or sitting on jackstands in YOUR driveway. Do you think gas prices are going south? No way. Vettes are notorious for high insurance rates - have you checked that out? IIRC '68 wasn't a good year for them, being a brand new body style and all. I remember they were real leakers in the wet. They haven't held their value nearly as well as other models and are not highly prized in Corvette circles. There's a reason your neighbor want to go from a Vette to a Camaro. That Vette is like the girl you always wanted in high school but turned out to be a bitch...still nice to look at but not a PITA if she's on somebody else's arm. My opinion is keep the 914 and make it as nice as you can. You'll be money, and fun, ahead in the long run.
gregrobbins
"What I have always wanted since I was a kid."

Get it man, life is too short to not go for your dreams. If you don't like it, sell it and buy another teener, or something else you like.

As to the value of your car, depends where your market it. You'll usually get less on the 914 sites, but you will have a buyer who will appreciate the car.
jasons
We had the opportunity to buy a 69 427 vette with like 56k og miles. Protecto plate, records, 4 speed, AC, PS, power windows, original survivor condition, etc. It hadn't been driven in like 5 years and the guy was at $25k. Now thats a big block car with a lot of investment potential. (its going to require alot of investment to make it dependable again!!!). If you are looking at a 350, I would try to get it for under $20k depending on originality. With old American cars, originality and documentation is everything after rarity.

LarryR
I had a 70 corvette many years ago... They do not handle very well but they are fun to drive. Mine was a 454 with an auto .... 15K is a very reasonable price if the car is in good shape.

Keep the 914 for handling smile.gif and the vette for brute force
burton73
Did you always want a Vet or a 68 Vet body style? You are a young man and will get to have all of you dreams fulfilled if you focus on making money and get what ever you want. You need to figure if you can afford it. When I was 6 years past your age I was offered a 73 911s for $7,500 as a repo. A premo car from my friend that was over his head. I just could not afford it at time. I could taste it. I had a super nice convertible VW 4 years old.

Now if you’re where right and you could drive the vet as an investment and keep up with the repairs and insurance. You may make some money on it. Classic car insurance is cheep but it is limited as to how far you drive and you cannot leave it at a movie. You cannot use it as your daily driver. The question of you being under 25 years old comes into play as well. I pay $600. total A year for my 86 Carrera and 914-6 with super high limits of liability.

Are we clear on what need the tranny work? The 914 or the Vet. ? I think it is you 914?

Bob
mrhurtalot
ill try and ask ken for some pictures and a test drive.

he is really into classic cars. so i know its oging to be in good if not great condition.

his wife has a 58 MG convertable. and his daughter has an isuzu rodeo. LMAO

i had an opportunity to buy a vette when i was in elementary school (dont laugh) it was a DD and pearl white, for..........

1500 dollars. yes one thousand five hundred dollars.

the kid was moving out and going to college internationally.

of course i didnt have the money for it. but ive always felt like i missed a great opportunity.
byndbad914
go to a vette site and ask the same question and see which way those answers bias happy11.gif

The trans will be a cheap fix even if you have to completely rebuild it (I mean, an old GM trans... if you had the skills to keep the 914 running on your own then just buy a book and fix it yourself smile.gif

I luv the 63 split and the 67 427 (but who doesn't right???) and if I had what I considered a good opportunity on either of those cars I would jump frankly and put the beast up for sale. 'Course I saw a 67 go at Barrett on Speed for way more than I could ever consider a good opportunity laugh.gif That sale makes the new Z06 a very reasonable buy for more power and better tech...

So if you consider it a great deal (I assume you know the value of your dream Vette better than the average 914 guy) and it is what you really want, I consider the question moot...

Vettes of all early years are appreciating and yes, some faster than others, it should continue to appreciate and probably faster than the 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.