Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intake runners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
r_towle
Hi,
I have two questions, one I will repeat and ask in the Garage.

On a 2.0 liter, are the intake runners different from one side to another?
The reason I ask is that I have 4 of them, and I need to choose two that I will clean up and paint...and damned if I see any difference...
I dont have a motor to bolt them to at this moment, but I will if I hear that there is an angle diffference...

Now for this forum.
What paint color are the intake runners?
Is it stock to paint the cast aluminum part, or just the tube?
I have two that have paint on some of the cast aluminum part...just not all.

It seems to be some sort of gray paint..
Please someone tell me a close equivelant color I can get locally.

Rich
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 18 2007, 06:46 PM) *

Hi,
I have two questions, one I will repeat and ask in the Garage.

On a 2.0 liter, are the intake runners different from one side to another?
The reason I ask is that I have 4 of them, and I need to choose two that I will clean up and paint...and damned if I see any difference...
I dont have a motor to bolt them to at this moment, but I will if I hear that there is an angle diffference...

Now for this forum.
What paint color are the intake runners?
Is it stock to paint the cast aluminum part, or just the tube?
I have two that have paint on some of the cast aluminum part...just not all.

It seems to be some sort of gray paint..
Please someone tell me a close equivelant color I can get locally.

Rich

Rich,

Not totaly sure of the diff between left & right tubes on a 2.0, but seems that the hose collectors would make them different from side to side.

As far as paint goes, I'd clean up the cast part & leave it natural. I's also paint the tubes with (after thorough cleanup) Rustoleum or Krylon flat medium gray, followed by a coat or 2 of satin clearcoat. Wouldn't go nuts trying to find "factory" paint, because it is probably unknown & unavailable.

I've had good results from both mentioned above, though Rustoleum seems to last longer. Be sure to match the clear coat with the base coat to keep them compatable.

My 2 cents.
Pat
michaelmoo
This is the correct color. Paint code L249

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...fm?ID=PAINTL249

I used it and it is a perfect match.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(michaelmoo @ Mar 21 2007, 08:05 AM) *

This is the correct color. Paint code L249

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...fm?ID=PAINTL249

I used it and it is a perfect match.

Mike,
Where did you come up with the color code?

Good info!

Pat
michaelmoo
I was digging around the net and found a bus site that had it listed. Its a well done site: http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineDetailing.html

I was trying to firgure out what color was close and tryed several paints but nothing was close. When I found this site I bought it and the paint is an exact match.

Wolfsburg West also has the correct color for the turn signal stalks. They have a neat site also.

Bleyseng
In his pic it looks way to green....
michaelmoo
Looking at his pictues it doenst look like he used that paint. Even the color on Wolfbergs isn't right. But I figured I'd try it.

I'll post some picts. It is the correct color.
michaelmoo
Here are the pictures.
Click to view attachment
tod914
Have to poke around and see if any of the vw bus places has nos ones too.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 13 2009, 06:52 PM) *

Have to poke around and see if any of the vw bus places has nos ones too.

Don't bother with NOS paints which have been sitting around for eons, as they breakdown, loose their fluidity, separate - as I'm sure Scotty, most painters,Pat (the chemist) & my Dad told me - the paints go bad over time. sad.gif

You're best to do your earlier plan to get a good example of the proper OE color & finish, then match it to a fresh HT paint. smile.gif

idea.gif I would think that you don't need to go to the lengths of 1400+ degree exhaust & case paints, but something around 500-900 degrees would be good IMHO. IIRC the CHT temps on Type IVs are 300-600 degrees? ....so those tubes with fuel/air mixture rushing through & cooling them down, should be a bit less hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.