Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil plug
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
Got my engine out and found out how the engine could have seized. Now I've never had to deal with these plugs before. How do I put the plug back in? It seems to fit in perfect and also come out with out any force either.
sj914
Another
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sj914 @ Nov 28 2003, 02:31 PM)
How do I put the plug back in?

drill for an NPT threaded plug, get one, plug it in with a little PST.
i like using aluminum plugs, people with way more experience than me say the steel ones work just fine.
sj914
PST?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sj914 @ Nov 28 2003, 03:29 PM)
PST?

a LocTite company product - Pipe Sealer with Teflon. i've seen it both at the FLAPS in the goo's and sealants area, and the plumbing supply area of the local home stores. it's a "LocTite-type" anaerobic sealant but with Teflon to prevent galling and allow a possible future removal. little white tube, red label, PST.
sj914
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you think it would be good to convert all the plugs to threaded plugs.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(sj914 @ Nov 28 2003, 04:21 PM)
... Do you think it would be good to convert all the plugs to threaded plugs.

i don't claim to know any more about T-IV's than what i've read here and on Rennlist - and my ownership of a 1,7 many years ago ...

i've read here that the experienced builders do that as a matter of course. hopefully, one of them will contribute an opinion to this thread ... for instance - i don't know the exact appropriate NPT plug sizes nor what drill sizes are best for achieving the best sized holes in T-IV case material for the appropriate taps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.