Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Alternator Pulley
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
went to cannibalise the alternator pulley from the /6 to replace the seriously wonkified one on the 911. the 911 pulley came off easily. the pulley on the /6 may have last been installed at the factory - i've never replaced the belt (not in only 23,000 mi ...) first surprise - the nut was -not- the 24mm the 911's is (requiring another trip home for another handfull of wrenches and a glance at the owner's manual ...). it's 22mm - and i'm glad i had the straight-handled 22/19 factory box end wrench, because nothing with any kind of offset fit in there... wedged the pulley holder tool against the bottom tin and eventually managed enough torque to loosen the nut.

the nut, spacer-thingie, and outer pulley half came off just fine, along with 5 good shims (there -should- have been a sixth shim, between the spacer-thingie and the outer pulley, but it could have fallen off where i didn't see...) i then spent the next hour trying to get the inner pulley half off. it does not -feel- like the 911 inner pulley, and i didn't bring a mirror to verify. anyway - it wouldn't budge, so i had to leave it behind. the outer pulley half does look identical tho.

i'll try Holbert's tomorrow for a new 911 inner pulley half, and if they don't have one (as is likely - they don't stock stuff for cars this old ...) i'll build up the wonkified drive lug and order a new pulley half from Stoddard.

local PCA has a drive to Longwood Gardens for the tree-lighting going Sunday, and i really want to have the 911 looking and sounding good for the trip.

the 911 ('71 E) has a Motorola alternator - i don't know what kind the 914/6 has, and i was disinclined to pull the relay cover to check regulator brands ... so - does anybody know for sure how you get the /6 inner alternator pulley half off, and is it the same as a contemporary 911 ?
meursault
Inner alternator pulley? The inner surface is riveted to the fan.

Original six alternator is Bosch. If the regulator peeking out of the relay board is silver and has a Bosch symbol stamped in the casing on the top, you probably still have a Bosch alternator.

The nut on a Bosch alternator has a 24mm head and has coarser threads than other brand alternators. All other hardware (pulley half, spacers, cap) are the same as contemporary 911s (pre-75, I believe.)

Hope this helps.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(meursault @ Nov 28 2003, 08:06 PM)
Inner alternator pulley? The inner surface is riveted to the fan.

Original six alternator is Bosch. If the regulator peeking out of the relay board is silver and has a Bosch symbol stamped in the casing on the top, you probably still have a Bosch alternator.

The nut on a Bosch alternator has a 24mm head and has coarser threads than other brand alternators. All other hardware (pulley half, spacers, cap) are the same as contemporary 911s (pre-75, I believe.)

Hope this helps.

damn. well - that explains why it wasn't coming off ...

i have every reason to believe it's the original alternator - very low miles - but i didn't check the regulator. next time i'm over there, i will, just for completeness...

and yet - the nut was definitely 22mm, and the nut on my 911's Motorola alternator - at least - it is a Motorola regulator, and i'd been told they always had to match - was definitely 24mm. curious.

thanks !

(any side bets on whether Holbert's will stock an inner alternator pulley for a '71 anything ?)
ArtechnikA
more damnation...

looked at the 911 parts book and sure enough, there -is- no inner pulley half!

wondering what kind of horrors i'm getting into trying to pull the fan and welding up the very severe ridging in the drive surfaces. i bet i'm going to have to drill the rivits and hope "enough" blind rivits will hold it in place.

a quick search of 11-blade fans shows them in the $450 range. OW! it doesn't lok like it's possible to pull the fan from a /6 with the engine in the car - anybody got any magick technique for this procedure ?

actually - my engine has been running so cold - and winter's definitely here - that i almost wouldn't mind running a castoff 5-blade fan. anybody got one of those in a parts pile somewhere ?
krk
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 29 2003, 06:50 AM)
it doesn't lok like it's possible to pull the fan from a /6 with the engine in the car - anybody got any magick technique for this procedure ?

Well, I don't have magic, but.... the shop manual has instructions for pulling the alternator out.

Basically, carbs out, engine shroud + ignition coil, pulley, airduct, wires + retaining strap. (I started looking at this recently as my alternator appears to have retired from active service so it looks like it's coming out to be convinced otherwise -- but I've not started it yet so I have no btdt to offer)

hth.

kim.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 29 2003, 06:50 AM)
more damnation...

looked at the 911 parts book and sure enough, there -is- no inner pulley half!

wondering what kind of horrors i'm getting into trying to pull the fan and welding up the very severe ridging in the drive surfaces. i bet i'm going to have to drill the rivits and hope "enough" blind rivits will hold it in place.

a quick search of 11-blade fans shows them in the $450 range. OW! it doesn't lok like it's possible to pull the fan from a /6 with the engine in the car - anybody got any magick technique for this procedure ?

actually - my engine has been running so cold - and winter's definitely here - that i almost wouldn't mind running a castoff 5-blade fan. anybody got one of those in a parts pile somewhere ?

I see a posting on the "Little Winky" board in your future...... w00t.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 29 2003, 08:05 AM)
I see a posting on the "Little Winky" board in your future...... w00t.gif

didn't you hear ?

Jake's taking all the T-IV engine questions to a separate board so we'll just have 6's and V-8's here :-) ...

[BTW - a lister has already responded to my plea for a 5-bladed fan, so i'm covered there.
i won't mind the 2-3 additional HP on top either - us little winky - ah - engine - guys hafta do what we can ... ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.