Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: G-50
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
Thought I would ask, I have herd they have been installed in a 914 but don't have any details. I assume for a V8 car one would have to move the engine forward a bit.
Twystd1
I saw 1 G52 in a teener at Ventura. The end of the tranny was just about hitting the bumper.
And it was HEAVILY modified. Has more hoses coming out of it than my old girl friends sex toy.

Heres some data I pulled off my old hard drive from a couple of years ago. I believe it is pretty accurate. I think I got this data off of rennlist.

The standard G50 isn't a strong as your existing 930 trans.

The G50/52 may be stronger. depends on the R&P ratio.

930 trans = 325 FT pounds of torque continuously

G50 trans = 220 FT pounds of torque continuously

G50/52 trans = 300+ FT pounds of torque continously

A numericly higher R&P will "UP" the ratings. And a trans cooler pump setup will double + the ratings.

Thats all I know.

Clayton
LvSteveH
They are Loooooong

You'll need the early style with the shorter tail/nose cone. Then you send it off to some nice folks to get the bellhousing cut down and input shortened.

All in all lets say $2500 for the trans, $3000 for the modifications and freshen up, and $1000 for the cable shift setup, so $6500 isn't bad all told for an open diff, or $7500 with LSD.

If you want to get really trick there is a side shift conversion for the G50, mucho cool, but it isn't cheap either. I'd guess another $1800.

The G50 must be run up side down, so you'll have to cut the trunk, and then deal with the axles being at more angle than the trailing arms are happy with.
gregrobbins
Jim Patrick mates them up with 3.6L motors all the time. Go to his web site for more information. www.partrickmotorsports.com

Don't recall a price, but know it is a lot.
Twystd1
Or you can do a ZF 5 speed out of a Pantera for 10K for a rebuilt tranny alone.

And you will probably never hurt it.

I think it is shorter than a G50.

C
sww914
You guys are real morale builders! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
skline
If I had the money, I would go for the 930 box hands down. I know a guy who has one right now all set up for a 914. It has all the work already done to it with cable shifter and all including a Quaiffe LSD for $5k. I just cant swing it. So I am going to do the cheap route. What can I say?

If anyone is interested in that 930 box, send me a PM and I will hook you up with the guy.
drive-ability
I guess the cost is high, but again nothings cheep when you start moving up. I have a nice 930 in the car now and the only thing I am not happy with is its lumbering type shifting. It works as good as its designed but a G50 has higher ratios and shifts smoother. I haven't driven a car with a G50 but that's my understanding. I was thinking you would have to move the engine up a bit as well to get it to fit.
If anyone knows how long they are post what you have. driving.gif
wbergtho
California Motorsports has created a billet sideshifter G50/50 or any G50 series boxes with shortened dimensions. Bobby Hart is considered one of the best in the country with Porsche transaxles. He could tell you exactly what all the specs are. Here's a pic of a 1989 G50/50 911 turbo trans that has been shortened and converted to sideshift (perfect for the 914) but very expensive @ 12K+ w00t.gif
Aaron Cox
12K? you can get ZF boxes in six speed for that

looked at mendeola transaxles? sequential etc smile.gif
wbergtho
12K? you can get ZF boxes in six speed for that

looked at mendeola transaxles? sequential etc

That's why I went with a 930...all I could afford. BTW, how expensive are the Mendeola sequential transaxles?
effutuo101
I saw that you can get a sequential gear box with 6speed for about 5-8k. This includes any drive ratio's that you could want/lust/desire after.....Seems like a lot of money to pay for mod's
Twystd1
I find it interesting that your 930 trans has a balky shifter. The last 930/914 car I drove shifted like butter.

You can also get a differant R&P ratio for your 930 box. Which will really wake up the car. (Numerically higher ratio)

The ZF is really hard to beat for a fast shifting trans IMHO.

Conversely. You can shoot over to Costa Mesa and talk to the guys st Weissman transmissions.

They make transmissions that most fellas don't even know exist. Their LSD is the best money can buy in my opinion.
Weismann.net

Shoot on over to their shop and have a chat with these guys. I think you will find it revealing. They have VERY short transmissions that will fit in your car. With any gear set you want. You can even have a dog trans with paddles. That way you only use the clutch in first gear. Shifts as fast as you can pull the shifter or hit a paddle. Fun shit I tell you. (not terribly streetable in this form) These are not a bolt in tranny. (like your 930) there is fabbing to be done if you go this route.

The worst that will happen from talking to them.... Is that you will learn something.

Cheers,

Clayton
drive-ability
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Mar 20 2007, 02:43 PM) *

I find it interesting that your 930 trans has a balky shifter. The last 930/914 car I drove shifted like butter.

You can also get a differant R&P ratio for your 930 box. Which will really wake up the car. (Numerically higher ratio)

The ZF is really hard to beat for a fast shifting trans IMHO.

Conversely. You can shoot over to Costa Mesa and talk to the guys st Weissman transmissions.

They make transmissions that most fellas don't even know exist. Their LSD is the best money can buy in my opinion.
Weismann.net

Shoot on over to their shop and have a chat with these guys. I think you will find it revealing. They have VERY short transmissions that will fit in your car. With any gear set you want. You can even have a dog trans with paddles. That way you only use the clutch in first gear. Shifts as fast as you can pull the shifter or hit a paddle. Fun shit I tell you. (not terribly streetable in this form) These are not a bolt in tranny. (like your 930) there is fabbing to be done if you go this route.

The worst that will happen from talking to them.... Is that you will learn something.

Cheers,

Clayton

I was really looking ahead, If I build another car with a high torque engine. Seeing the cost of the units I would not spend that on this car.

Clayton, my car shifts good but not like a standard front engine car. The speed between gears is a bit slower, at least when I'm driving it. Maybe I am just over careful in dealing with my transmission. I am really happy with how the car runs with the new engine, idle is nice and crisp and the power is good. Some days I hate the thing, but most times I would never part with it...
Twystd1
Get your break in miles on the engine. Then give me a call or shoot over to the coffee house at night. Give me a turn at the wheel. I want to see how it shifts when I drive it. At least I can get a sense of how the shifter/trans feels. And check out how the car rides while I am at it.

By the way... what are your R&P ratios? if you have the stock ratios. And you don't want to drive 160MPH+. You really night want to step up to a different R&P ratio. I dunno... Lets see what we can do together. With Sklines know how, my connections and your engineering skills and some cash..
We should have it broke in no time. slap.gif

So come on by and lets see what we can thunk up.

Clayton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.