Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new car is (almost) here! Update 4/14
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
I was holding out for 2.0 but this one is so beautiful I just couldn't pass it up. Don't know if I've seen a brown interior with the Phoenix Red but it kinda reminds me of my original first love, the long gone Signal Orange 1971 1.7 of college fame.

22,000 original miles, sold by the son of the original owner after his death. Tucson AZ car, currently resides near LA, should be picked up by Passport FedEx in the next week. Possible CW delight with original paint. Will keep it as original as possible (at least that's what I say now). I have only seen pictures until now, can hardly wait.

Next stop: Peoria, IL to Brad's place. He'll go over the mechanicals, tune it up. When he's done, I'll go down from MI to pick it up. Maybe pick up a set of Fuchs from Elkhart on the way back...along with a factory manual set.

The most important thing I want to say is THANK YOU to all you World member for your help. I've made lots of friends, all willing to answer e-mails and questions, even willing to look at cars. Jeff Gacek, Craig Camp914, the good doctor in Atlanta, Pat Garvey, Steve Gaglione, Jim Chambers, Warren Oliver, mrgreenjeans, Tom Bliznick, Joe Sharp, Nate Eckler, mikez, dheinz, Cap'n Krusty, others I'm just forgetting right now.

Paul
orthobiz
Front Trunk...
orthobiz
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 19 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Front Trunk...

orthobiz
Inside...
orthobiz
Profile...
orthobiz
Rear...
orthobiz
More trunks...
type47fan
drooley.gif . . .what else can be said? Great looking car!
slothness
Jesus Christ that car is beautiful. drooley.gif

You scored a real winner. smilie_pokal.gif good job.
orthobiz
OK, almost done...
quadracerx
QUOTE(type47fan @ Mar 19 2007, 07:36 PM) *

drooley.gif . . .what else can be said? Great looking car!

All I can say is WOW....that looks brand new....Nice!!

Congrats...

Steve
TJB/914
Paul, aka-orthobiz

Congratulations you did very good. It's a beauty!!!!

914's like yours only come around once in a lifetime. You are also smart to have Brad Mayer fine tune it. Smart move, Brad's the best out there!!!

Tom
LarryR
Wow incredible. That must have set you back a mint. I saw one that had a 45K restoration on it that did not look any better than that. Congratulations!!!
markb
That is SWEET! clap56.gif Congrats. smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
Very Very Very Nice!!!!!

That thing is clean...
Ferg
Um wow, that's the ticket right there. thumb3d.gif

Where in Michigan, I grew up there and will be back for a good amount of time this summer would love to see the car in person.

Ferg beerchug.gif
Lou W
wow, that is amazing, it looks like it just came off the showroom. beerchug.gif
KELTY360
I bought one brand new in '73 and it didn't look that good. Congrats!

piratenanner.gif
Johny Blackstain
Can you say "pristine cherry"? Time capsule is another term that comes to mind. It really looks like a museum car & if she is that cherry I'd be terrified to drive her anywhere except inside the Superdome or something like that biggrin.gif ! Well done & schweet score!

shades.gif
BigDBass
Wow, looks fantastic! Great find!
I'm on the way from Brad's to Michigan so if you need a break, I'll trade you you beer/food/bed for the opportunity to drool on that 914. (Your choice of my drool or the baby's!)

Dan
Paul,
Real nice time capsal car, What board was it for sale on, I thought I saw it for sale on this board ? I bet that 914 will win every event that you put
it in.Congrats....
orthobiz
I found it in the FS/Wanted section of 914club.

Funny but in the two months I seriously looked, I saw this car very early on and discounted it because of the 1.8 motor. I figured if this one was available within days of beginning my search, there must be a ton of similar cars out there like it.

Not so...I know I would have found another car if I did not get this one, but clean original cars are hard to find.

biz
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 21 2007, 02:59 PM) *

I found it in the FS/Wanted section of 914club.

Funny but in the two months I seriously looked, I saw this car very early on and discounted it because of the 1.8 motor. I figured if this one was available within days of beginning my search, there must be a ton of similar cars out there like it.

Not so...I know I would have found another car if I did not get this one, but clean original cars are hard to find.

biz

Gotta tell you....the guy that gave that beauty queen up is a real lonesome loser. It would be a tough choice to ever let anything that pristine get out of my garage to another owner....you did a real fine job !!!

Take good care of her and treat her like the angel she appears to be or Ferdinand's Ghost is gonna come back and poop on your hood !

I see lots of these smilie_pokal.gif lining your shelves ! Congratulations !

mrgreenjeans
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 19 2007, 11:31 PM) *

Profile...

In my humble , but sometimes questionable opinion......

I'd keep the wheels. Maybe get another set of Fuchs as backups...but ask yourself this: How many do you see of these running around anymore on these rollers ?

I show mine with pride ....with the stamped steel mags...and even if they were the base wheel, and seen with regularity THEN....30 years ago, just try and pick up a set of date coded wheels today to match your build sheet from the factory. IMPOSSIBLE.

Again....What a beauty !! You have a real gem.
orthobiz
Thanks for the kudos. I'm definitely keeping the steel wheels, thought I'd go Fuchs for performance with a wider tire, put the steel on for show (if I ever get around to it...). The stamped wheels are growing on me.

biz
Bleyseng
find a set of chrome beauty rings to dress up the stock rims as they really look nice.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Paul,
Very nice acquistion clap56.gif . Take lotsa pics so to identify its originality. Preserved cars as nice as yours are all too infrequent. People will be able to point to your 914 when OEM is referenced. Good job thumb3d.gif

Paul
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 21 2007, 09:54 PM) *

find a set of chrome beauty rings to dress up the stock rims as they really look nice.

The only thing about putting the beauty rings on....they DO scratch the paint and then the O.E. finish is gone.
If I am not mistaken, I believe the rings were a dealer installed accessory....please correct me all you CW's out there, but I think the real steel wheel look was a Porsche design , and the trim ring version was an American "make better" item.
Beauty is such a subjective thing...definitely in the eye of the beholder....so do what makes you happy and proud of your ride.

GREAT Looking Sports CAR !

mrgreenjeans
Porsche Rescue
I agree with both views above. I like the "bling" of rings on the stamped steel "sport" wheels. But they do scratch the paint and require repainting if you decide to permanently remove them. My wheels are not original to the car and have been repainted so no worry in that regard. Mine had ugly dealer option alloys which I did not like.
Porsche Rescue
Before and After
orthobiz
Jim: love that before and after. I think it's a great example of how someone left the finish alone, allowing you to do it just how you wanted. How many times do you see a car for sale and the seller has just done something screwy to make it better, all the while make it less original and worse!

How exactly did you do it?

Paul
Porsche Rescue
It could use a little more work. I buffed with a Makita buffer and sponge pad using Maguires medium and light cleaner. Then hand glazed with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed by Maquires #26 paste wax. I highly recommend the 3M product and Maguires paste for your car when needed. I would not use a power buffer on your car since the paint is so nice as is.
orthobiz
At the risk of becoming a post whore, here's pics of the departure from California. Seller is standing next to it in one pic. I try going through the photos quickly and imagining it's a movie. Man, I got it bad!

Paul
orthobiz
More...
orthobiz
Nearly done...Tucked in the front.
orthobiz
Right behind the driver.
orthobiz
Hey, maybe I can excuse all these posts by thinking I've provided a service to anyone else who wants to use Passport.FedEx.

First one in, hopefully last one out.

Paul
orthobiz
Next stop, Peoria. No more posts for a while!

biz
martinef1963
Paul - she is a real looker. If you don't mind me asking, what was the selling price?

If you do, not a problem, she is still gorgeous.

regards,

Fernando beerchug.gif
orthobiz
Nando: No problem divulging the price, a few have PM'ed me about it as well. 14,000 dollars. Costs 1700 to take it from LA to Peoria. BTW, enjoying the Nando engine rebuild thread!

Paul
Paul,
For that kind of money you could not restore one, If I was the seller I would be crying about now.I am still crying about the 1971 M-471 Gt for 32.5K
I was one of many interested in that car,Well at least I own 914-6 #2385. You did "VERY" Well...
Gint
agree.gif

I have spent over 14,000 on the resto of just the tub of my 914/6. That is one damn fine 914!
orthobiz
Brad Mayeur has it now, got delivered two weeks ago to Peoria. He may not get to it until next month. New pics show more corrosion in the engine bay than I'd care to see! He didn't have much time to check it out, but he also took pics of the nicks and scratches.

There's a scratch not all the way through the brown driver's seat. Any advice on a vinyl fix for that?

The voltage regulator will be replaced (it's a Bosch but says VOLVO on it) and it's putting out 14 volts, maybe overcharging the battery and causing it to spew corrosive gas. When the bay gets redone I'll be sure to put in an Optima.

May add a front sway bar.

I'm beginning to chomp at the bit but I know it'll be worth the wait. Everyone has such wonderful things to say about Brad and he's been great with me so far.

I'm glad the FedEx trip was uneventful.

Paul
mrgreenjeans

What a beautiful car....I know Brad will do his magic and he is a trusted member of the Porsche community.

He'll do you right. As to the cleanup around the Hell-Hole, I sincerely hope it comes off the way you need, to make it as righteous as the rest. This is one that does need to have the proper saving graces spent to make it whole and magnificent.

Great photos, great find, and may you have the finest teener on the block when done.

Its a keeper !

mrgreenjeans
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 23 2007, 03:16 PM) *

It could use a little more work. I buffed with a Makita buffer and sponge pad using Maguires medium and light cleaner. Then hand glazed with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed by Maquires #26 paste wax. I highly recommend the 3M product and Maguires paste for your car when needed. I would not use a power buffer on your car since the paint is so nice as is.

I heartily agree with the methodology in using the 3M Imperial Hand glaze---(tan, not the white, which dries too quickly and leaves a powdery residue.)

And as a top coat wax, the Meguiars does an outstanding job. I also like Klasse, and then too....Race Glaze is an excellent choice for a quick and painless shine. It goes on fast and sweet, dries to a haze almost instantly and wipes away with a cotton cloth or towel with an absolutely perfect finish.

And I stay away from the power buff deal with any expensive or irreplaceable O.E. finish, as the damage can be fast and permanent. A little extra time and energy spent with a short and deliberate hand application, in small segments, does wonders for the car, the soul, and your own upper body strength !

There's nothing so sweet, as peering thru sweat beads dripping on your nose, at a hand applied wax job, glowing in the driveway.

And Porsches love it----------
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.