Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting my project outlook based on first round of cost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
Well talk about getting a level set on what it takes to do the chasis the way I want. It is goint to cost ~3K for the cage so I am going to scale back my plans for this year.

So the initial plans are now scaled back to cage, suspension, brakes, and a type IV engine that I assemble myself.

I am now figuring:
chasis 3000
suspension 3000
brakes (?)
type IV build myself 2650
Seats 800
Race Harness 350
9800 hmm... who said it is cheap to build a 914!!! Throw in a new clutch, pp and throw out bearing along with the brakes if I go on the cheap side + some tires and 6" fuch's racing is an expensive hobby smile.gif

The big displacement will have to wait till next years end of year bonus sad.gif

Oh well it will be fun to drive it around with a 2.0 for a year to get used to it anyway...

LarryR
Here are some pics of how the cage will be:
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It will also be tied to the front strut towers and rear shock towers. I decided to have them go through the firewall to the rear shock towers instead of through the window so that I dont have to have some wild plexy glass window made around the cage.

The rear shock towers will be triangulated to the trans mount area in the rear trunk too.

I decided to leave the trunk floor and bulk head in tact due to excessive cost of going that route....

Note above pictures are from the TC design web site but that is what I told them to do to mine... the car is the same color as mine so pretty soon it should look about the same too smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
Cool! I really like some of the TC cages I've seen. One 914 looked like the knee bar was basically inside the dash frame and the front pillar bar top corner tucked right in under the winshield seal - super tight beerchug.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Mar 19 2007, 09:22 PM) *

Cool! I really like some of the TC cages I've seen. One 914 looked like the knee bar was basically inside the dash frame and the front pillar bar top corner tucked right in under the winshield seal - super tight beerchug.gif

I had to ask twice if the targa top would fit on over that smile.gif ... It is amazing how tightly tucked against the roof line you can get with a targa. It will be tough to see the bars with the roof on. Once it is done if you want to venture down from el cerrito to have a look your welcome to check it out beerchug.gif
LarryR
Well now I have a brand new delima... A friend of mine had been building a super sweet 2.7 for his 69 911 ... It has RS pistons and cylinders, new cams (special grind for the app), JE 9.5:1 pistons to use in the RS barrels if so choosen, arp rod bolts for the rebuilt rods, rebuilt heads (stock with new valves and guildes and 3 angle valve job) case done by ollies (dove tailed, new studs, case certed, oil passages massaged the works), weber 40 IDA carbs done perfectly for the app, pmo intakes, the list goes on...

The only thing left to buy is the gasket set and the carrera tensioner kit. He was speculative @ 250 HP. I think that should be fairly accurate. However, the price is 7500 bucks. I am now pondering if that is worth the coin or could I get a better bang for the buck going another route. He will put the enigine together but with 20+ years of building race engines and having built several of our friends race engines I trust his ultra anal approach.

My biggest problem is that I am thinking I could buy a 3.6 or a v8 for that matter for that much coin... I am interested to hear responses...

Note that the 7500 price tag is 100% parts cost ... he has reciepts for all of it.
DanT
QUOTE(LarryR @ Mar 20 2007, 11:05 PM) *

Well now I have a brand new delima... A friend of mine had been building a super sweet 2.7 for his 69 911 ... It has RS pistons and cylinders, new cams (special grind for the app), JE 9.5:1 pistons to use in the RS barrels if so choosen, arp rod bolts for the rebuilt rods, rebuilt heads (stock with new valves and guildes and 3 angle valve job) case done by ollies (dove tailed, new studs, case certed, oil passages massaged the works), weber 40 IDA carbs done perfectly for the app, pmo intakes, the list goes on...

The only thing left to buy is the gasket set and the carrera tensioner kit. He was speculative @ 250 HP. I think that should be fairly accurate. However, the price is 7500 bucks. I am now pondering if that is worth the coin or could I get a better bang for the buck going another route. He will put the enigine together but with 20+ years of building race engines and having built several of our friends race engines I trust his ultra anal approach.

My biggest problem is that I am thinking I could buy a 3.6 or a v8 for that matter for that much coin... I am interested to hear responses...

Note that the 7500 price tag is 100% parts cost ... he has reciepts for all of it.

sounds like a nice motor...I had a similar motor in my 914-6.
I think 250hp is a bit optimistic....more like 215-220 maybe a bit more.
John
Just my opinion.

If you want a high revving engine (track), go with the built motor. If you want lots of torque, go with the later model large displacement.

If it was me building a track car, I think I would opt for a short stroke, high revving engine over a low revving high torque motor.

I think that with the earlier shorter stroke engines, the 901 has a fighting chance of survival.

And with more RPM's, comes higher top end speed.

If it is just a boulevard cruiser, go with the late model with Motronic and forget about it.
brant
If you really want to go racing......

have you read the rule book?
for example a cage tied to the suspension points is an automatic bump into modified, or GT as PCA calls it.

also that motor in PCA isn't going to be the hot one to have for PCA.
the class that would put you in needs a 2.8 to be top dog.

racing is all about working within rules.
thats why its imperative to know them inside out before doing anything.

door number 1: that motor and cage might make a fun GT4 car if you go with all fiberglass panels. otherwise you are 400lbs over weight, and need huge slicks, flares, custom trailing arms, mono-ball front suspension with coil overs, a programable fuel injection, another 100 hp, and generally about 40K$$$ more investment to be competetive.

door number 2: on the other hand the 2.0 and that cage also puts you (uncompetetively) into GT5 where you will be 120hp short of your competition and 300lbs overweight without fiberglass.
(yes you will have 100hp and your competition will have 120 MORE THAN YOU... sound like fun on the straight away?)

however door number 3 is that you scale back your cage, build your motor legally, and drop into class J.
In J you are NOT over weight, and NOT underpowered in comparison to your competition.

see why the rule book should be dictating your decisions if your goal is to race?

brant
Lou W
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 20 2007, 11:50 PM) *

for example a cage tied to the suspension points is an automatic bump into modified, or GT as PCA calls it.

door number 1: that motor and cage might make a fun GT4 car if you go with all fiberglass panels. otherwise you are 400lbs over weight, and need huge slicks, flares, custom trailing arms, mono-ball front suspension with coil overs, a programable fuel injection, another 100 hp, and generally about 40K$$$ more investment to be competetive.

door number 2: on the other hand the 2.0 and that cage also puts you (uncompetetively) into GT5 where you will be 120hp short of your competition and 300lbs overweight without fiberglass.
(yes you will have 100hp and your competition will have 120 MORE THAN YOU... sound like fun on the straight away?)

however door number 3 is that you scale back your cage, build your motor legally, and drop into class J.
In J you are NOT over weight, and NOT underpowered in comparison to your competition.

see why the rule book should be dictating your decisions if your goal is to race?

brant

Good info...thanks Brant. beerchug.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(brant @ Mar 20 2007, 11:50 PM) *

brant

I completely agree with you brant. I guess I should correct my statement of 'race' I am actually much more of a DE lapping event guy. It would not matter what door above I opened I would still not be at the front of the pack smile.gif My lines need a whole lot of improvement before that would ever happen smile.gif My build decisions are based more on bang for the buck than what class it would ever run in. As long as it can show up for DE's or lapping events I am happy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.