Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 conv engine question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
I bought a V8 conversion project back around Christmas. It's pretty much done and saw some minimal road time, then it sat for 6 years or so.

I put some oil in the spark plug holes several times in the last few months. I just tried to turn the motor but the starter wouldn't do it. I couldn't get a socket or anything on the crank pulley because its very close to the firewall, so I locked one wheel and turned the other. With some moderate coaxing in the beginning, it turns pretty good now. The starter turns it weakly with the plugs out, but it is a stock 914 unit.

Its a Rod Simpson conversion that I plan on updating with a few Renegade parts. I want to put the mount bar and trans mounts to move the motor back, as well as the Renegade cooling system. I'd like to hear to engine sputter before I do all that, but do you think the motor is okay since it was slightly stuck?

Dan
Crazyhippy
Try it, worst case you have to re-build... you would be re-building anyways... If you lunch a bore or rings or whatnot, you just have a lil more work on the re-build, but it's a SBC, Parts are available everywhere.

BJH
LarryR
QUOTE(LowGT @ Mar 19 2007, 09:48 PM) *

I bought a V8 conversion project back around Christmas. It's pretty much done and saw some minimal road time, then it sat for 6 years or so.

I put some oil in the spark plug holes several times in the last few months. I just tried to turn the motor but the starter wouldn't do it. I couldn't get a socket or anything on the crank pulley because its very close to the firewall, so I locked one wheel and turned the other. With some moderate coaxing in the beginning, it turns pretty good now. The starter turns it weakly with the plugs out, but it is a stock 914 unit.

Its a Rod Simpson conversion that I plan on updating with a few Renegade parts. I want to put the mount bar and trans mounts to move the motor back, as well as the Renegade cooling system. I'd like to hear to engine sputter before I do all that, but do you think the motor is okay since it was slightly stuck?

Dan

Hi Dan,

Its a small block chevy! Cheapest engine in the world to rebuild. You can do a stock rebuild yourself for about 260 bucks if you have to bore the block. Rebuild kits with rings and bearings can be had for 100 dollars and bore block 60 bucks ... new pistons can be had as cheap as 100 bucks.
rick 918-S
Toss the junk starter and replace it with a 911 unit. check and or replace the cables. once you get it cranking take a compression check. that will tell you the story.
LowGT
Yea, I just tried to start it and the starter doesn't have the umpf to turn it with the plugs in.

What about a hi-torque mini-starter? I see several V8 people chewing up the teeth on them, so I'm not sure.

Dan
wbergtho
I've got the Ebay Hi torque mini starter on my LS6 11.2:1 compression motor and haven't seen any problem at all. A 911 starter will work...but the mini hi torque does the job more confidently.
rick 918-S
Hi-torque works good. I have a 911 starter cranking my 10:1 928 V8. I got it from Oklahoma Foriegn for something like $ 50.00 or 75.00 can't member blink.gif no core charge.
messix
if you can pull the dizz and get a oil pump drive from flaps to pre oil the engine b4 you fire it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.