Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: funny shock quirk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Rear rubber shock mounts. Check out the video I shot last night.
I suspect this is why I am having the feeling of " I need more rebound
http://media.putfile.com/shock-mount

davep
That is quite revealing. Was this with the car in motion, or just bouncing the rear end?
Joe Ricard
No rear tire off the ground, car sitting on a jackstand
My 200 lb springs are only 8" long so the suspension can become completely un-loaded. So I was just lifting the wheel up and downwith my hand.

My co-driver is going to help me make a solid spacer and bolt the shock up solid. No more un dampened movement.
davep
Right, you never want the suspension to become unloaded.
gopack
Help me understand this. you are saying that when the suspension is at full droop, the spring is not in full contact with the spring perch on the shock? is this what you mean by "unloaded". if this is the case, can i jsut move the spring perch up untill the spring is slightly compressed at full droop (e.g. wheels off the ground)? will this make the rid eheight higher than the way it is currently set up, where the spring is loose when the wheel is off the ground.

Thanks for the education.

Also , wouldnt the "FIX" for this be to get rid of the rubber piece there, for instance by welding in the tangerine ball mount for the shock?

IPB Image

just asking.
Joe Ricard
Yea that's what I need.

Some people are using stock springs in thier car......

a 200lb 8" spring does not contact both spring perches when tire is off the ground.
No worries when on the ground it's ALL GOOD.

Mark are you planning on going to Milwaukee National tour?
John
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Yea that's what I need.

a 200lb 8" spring does not contact both spring perches when tire is off the ground.

I wasn't aware stock rear springs were 200#. idea.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(John @ Mar 20 2007, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Yea that's what I need.

I wasn't aware stock rear springs were 200#. idea.gif

Either I don't write so good or some peeps don't read so good.
Hey I live in the south. I have no rules. w00t.gif
gopack
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Mar 20 2007, 01:42 PM) *

Yea that's what I need.

not sure what the milwaukee national tour is! i wish i had seen these monobals for the rear before i had the bosy work done! i was looking to replace the rubber there like i did on the front!
does any one know if elephant makes rear monoballs? (too lazy to look it up!)
Joe Ricard
I am hi-jacking my own thread Cuz I have a solution to the problem

So Milwaukee National Tour is Areas Best Autocrossers meet at Miller Park 7 and 8 July to compete at a level above the regular regional stuff.

I am contemplating coming up for that one As I have family in Milwaukee and surrounding area. That's 1058 miles 1 way. to make 6 timed runs over two days.

There hasn't been a 914 on the podium at an SCCA National event in far too long. So look for the Red Neck Racer to bust one out and demand some respect.

McMark
IIRC, some shocks require you to trim #5 in order to seat correctly. I would remove the shock from the car. Assemble the shock on a bench and see if there is play with the top nut tightened down and all the 'bits' in place. Nothing should be loose when it's torqued down, even when assembled on a bench.

I don't think the problem you're seeing has anything to do with the spring. Your top nut isn't clamping everything down onto the body.
Aaron Cox
agree.gif had to trim it with coilovers for my setup on bilsteins
Joe Ricard
Thanks Mark.

My coil over looks nothing like that. However you are absolutley correct.
I just never realized what was going on with my specific configuration.

So when any of Ya'll are bored check out what ya got back there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.