Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Watching This One?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
the frequently asked question "what is a nice factory six worth?" If it meets reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;rd=1&rd=1
BAM
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 20 2007, 11:23 AM) *

the frequently asked question "what is a nice factory six worth?" If it meets reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...p;rd=1&rd=1

Hi Jim,

I ask that question and get asked that question all the time… I’m always watching the 6 prices (I already had this one on my watch list) and I believe it should fetch somewhere around $30K… We shall see, it is a very clean 914-6.

JP
rwjames
Does anyone know this car?

Is it really a $30K six?

With the paint and chrome issues, $30K seems pretty high. Also, I would be worried about the race history. I have seen several cars that were raced aggressively develop stress cracks and such.

I am looking for a nice original six, but not sure if this is worth the money. Plus, all the nice sixes are on the West coast, so it adds about $3,000 to the purchase price for me in Alabama.

Have you checked out the Tangerine 914-6 on the European Collectibles website. It is priced at $29,950 but it includes a 2.2 installed as well as the original engine.

http://www.europeancollectables.com/invent...e_inv_id=Po1747

Rich
914-8
It's always kinda surprised me how little factory 914-6 prices have taken off.

Seems like 15 years ago, they were mid to upper teen prices, and in all that time, they've gone to maybe mid 20's (although it seems like many decent 6s can still be had in the teens), while other low-ish production sports cars have shot through the root (early 911s, etc.).

It seems like percentage-wise, even stock 73/74 2.0 914s have gone up more than 6s in the past 15 years.

Ferg
Yep I am Watching.

Do you see the creamsicle in the background biggrin.gif Pretty sure i've met the guy a number of times and Bowlsby should know him. If it's the guy i'm thinking of his plate on the creamsicle is YIPPIE

Ferg

FWIW I'd be surprised if it doesn't bring about 30k...
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 20 2007, 04:52 PM) *

Yep I am Watching.

Do you see the creamsicle in the background biggrin.gif Pretty sure i've met the guy a number of times and Bowlsby should know him. If it's the guy i'm thinking of his plate on the creamsicle is YIPPIE

Ferg

How can you tell it's a creamsicle914.jpg ? It's already over what I paid for my original six, however I have rust in my front trunk, upgraded engine & tranny, updated interior, flares & had door dents. $100 got rid of the dents, we'll see about the trunk rust...

shades.gif
TROJANMAN
Yipie is always at the local De's driving.gif but i have never seen him there with a 6
Ferg
I looked some more, that creamsicle has panasports, Yipie runs steelies, so prolly not him.

Ferg
Ferg
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 20 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Yep I am Watching.

Ferg

How can you tell it's a creamsicle914.jpg ? It's already over what I paid for my six, however I have rust in my front trunk, non original engine, updated interior, flares & had door dents. $100 got rid of the dents, we'll see about the trunk rust...

shades.gif

this pic...

Johny Blackstain
I see that now, thanks Ferg thumb3d.gif .

shades.gif
SLITS
Last original six I know of sold for $27 K.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 20 2007, 04:13 PM) *

Last original six I know of sold for $27 K.

then there's those that don't pay for them at all ph34r.gif
rwjames
Looks like the auction for this Six ends soon, but it hasn't met reserve yet.

Has anyone done a PPI on this car or know anything about it?

The car looks pretty nice in the photo's, but they don't always tell the entire story.

Johny Blackstain
I've been watching this one as well as the "immaculate 4". Neither one is meeting the reserve. I feel both cars are very likely worth it, but I think our sellers should have waited until after "April 15th" to list them. Timing is everything, which is why you sell toys/models/games etc... in November. Right after taxes the weather gets better nationwide & hopefuly you got a refund... time to sell motorcycles & convertibles. Right after Christmas the weather nationwide is usually pretty cold... time to buy convertibles & motorcycles. I believe our sellers should have waited a month... they might have got more than they thought they could get. For those that are curious, my Father was an economist, which explains my analytical interest in this aspect of 914s'. My $.02.

cool_shades.gif
Gint
QUOTE(rwjames @ Mar 26 2007, 07:04 AM) *

The car looks pretty nice in the photo's, but they don't always tell the entire story.

Ouray is a 4 to 6 hour trip from Denver (and in the moutains). At this time of year you'd better just take a 4WD vehicle if you want to get there if you want to be sure you will make it back home. I didn't realize that this car was in Ouray or I might have actually tried to see it this weekend when I had 4 days off. Damn! I would like to have seen it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Ferg @ Mar 20 2007, 03:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 20 2007, 03:02 PM) *

Yep I am Watching.

Ferg

How can you tell it's a creamsicle914.jpg ? It's already over what I paid for my six, however I have rust in my front trunk, non original engine, updated interior, flares & had door dents. $100 got rid of the dents, we'll see about the trunk rust...

shades.gif

this pic...

Don't think it's a Creamsicle. Check out the vinyl on the sail panel - shouldn't be there.

It's just a paint job biggrin.gif
boxstr
Johny is correct. Timing is everything. Lots of cars for sale, now that tax time is here, and the pricing reflects the sellers need to sell.
If a person has a really really nice 914-6 or 914-4 to sell ebay would not be the first place I would use for marketing.
The Porsche related websites would be first, although this may not be where you end up selling the car, then move to the collector car lists.
Then try ebay if you do not have a sale.
The potential buyers are going to either see the car for sale or hear about it from someone else who did see it for sale on the Porsche sites.
Appears that it has 6 hours left till end of auction. Still at $25k.
CCLIN914NATION
Porsche Rescue
I exchanged email with the seller to ask if the LE was for sale. He said "maybe". I also exchanged mail with Jeff Bowlsby re: the car. He said it is a legit. LE and rare in that it came with the vinyl sails. Clear to me that the owner is a collector and cars are of high quality. Also clear that he has (or will) price them accordingly. I was fishing for a "deal" on the LE. I think it will take more "bait" than I am willing to put out. But I also think both cars are likely premium examples.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 26 2007, 08:48 AM) *

I also exchanged mail with Jeff Bowlsby re: the car. He said it is a legit. LE and rare in that it came with the vinyl sails.

I learned something new today......and it's not even noon. Thanks.
Johny Blackstain
I too have communicated w/ this gentelman, about 2 or 3 yrs ago. I've been registered on the LE site now for 4 years. It is an LE w/ vinyl sail trim... extremely rare. If I remember correctly he runs carbs on it & puts the D-jet back in for shows. As for the six I had no idea it was a concours winner & did not discuss it w/ him back then.

cool_shades.gif
rwjames
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 26 2007, 11:19 AM) *

Ouray is a 4 to 6 hour trip from Denver (and in the moutains). At this time of year you'd better just take a 4WD vehicle if you want to get there if you want to be sure you will make it back home. I didn't realize that this car was in Ouray or I might have actually tried to see it this weekend when I had 4 days off. Damn! I would like to have seen it.

Mike,

I wish you had made it to look at this car over the weekend. At the time, I was considering the Six in Costa Mesa, but that one didn't pan out. I would like to get an honest opinion on this car.

If this car doesn't sell on Ebay, I may look at it. Do you have any idea where I should fly into to get to Ouray? Looks like it's at the end of the world.

Rich

73Phoenix20
FWIW:

Those aren't "Panosports" on the Creamsicle... Those are original Mini Lites in the 6" x 15" size, mounted with brand new Michelins, IIRC, in 195/60 size. I sold them to the owner some time ago. See attached photo.

The /6 is a fantastic example, considering it has been driven / used and properly maintianed over the years...

NOM however, to the extent as described in the ad... not sure that really matters anymore...

If I could afford unlimited funds, I would buy the /6... and the Creamsicle... but alas... not to be!

Click to view attachment
Gint
QUOTE(rwjames @ Mar 26 2007, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 26 2007, 11:19 AM) *

Mike,

I wish you had made it to look at this car over the weekend. At the time, I was considering the Six in Costa Mesa, but that one didn't pan out. I would like to get an honest opinion on this car.

If this car doesn't sell on Ebay, I may look at it. Do you have any idea where I should fly into to get to Ouray? Looks like it's at the end of the world.

Rich

Good question. There's no quick and easy way to get to Ouray. But it's an awesome trip in late spring, summer or fall. Anyway, it would be a long drive from CoSprings. This time of year I'd probably fly into Denver, rent a car and travel I-70 west and then down to Ouray. On the other hand, you might be able to fly into Denver or CoSprings and take a puddle jumper to Durango area or Grand Junction. Let us know if you make the trek the Denver. We have a large 914 contingent and like to visit with folks traveling through town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.