Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel and clutch Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
It seems my rear main seal is leaking and I need to go in and replace it. I also want to check out the clutch system since it doesn't have a very good feel, possibly indicating somethings in need of replacing.

First off, what I'm wondering is - Will I need to mess with or remeasure the crank end play if I take the flywheel off and put the same flywheel back on? Or is it as simple as taking it off, replacing rear main seal, and bolting it back up since it's the same flywheel?

Second, What's the proper procedure for measuring the flywheel depth(?) so I can see if the flywheel is in need of replacing?

Third, Is there a way to measure or examine the clutch disk and pressure plate to see if they're in need of replacing?

Finally, the throw out bearing - How can I determine if it's still good or past it's prime? Any indications of that?

Thanks......
Joe Ricard
In some sort of order with response to the numerous questions
No you shold not have to fuss with end play if it is with in spec before you take it apart.
If you have the flywheel surfaced instruct to have the same anount removed from the flange that the Pressure plate mounts to and also the surface where the bolts mount against.
Oil is bad for a clutch disk If you get the flywheel surfaced you really need to get a new disk and pressure plate and usually the throw out bearing comes in the kit you can purchase from Pelican parts
bearings rattle when bad or completely fail.

Dave_Darling
Unless the clutch is new, I would replace it any time you have the transmission off of the engine. It's enough of a job to R&R it that putting an old one back in for just a few months is a false economy...

Add to that the fact that oil is not very good for clutch friction linings.

--DD
Hammy
I am planning on replacing the clutch disk and pressure plate now.

What exactly is flywheel resurfacing? Is it adding to or cutting away the face of the flywheel?
jd74914
It is cutting away the "used" scored, out of round (etc) surface.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.