Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor Mats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
I've read on old strings that mats are not to be in the car if it is shown. What is recommended or suggested to use when not showing in order to provide protection that would still give the car a period "feel". Is there anything on the market that is similar to what a dealer or a fussy driver may have used in 1974? Thanks
Steve

Porsche Rescue
Cocoa mats are the "period" accessory. I think they are still available. I never liked them in a daily driver because they let the dirt/grit through to the carpet below. Probably do the job just fine in a limited use, fair weather car.

Here are some in orthobiz's 28K mile '74.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 20 2007, 09:08 PM) *

Cocoa mats are the "period" accessory. I think they are still available. I never liked them in a daily driver because they let the dirt/grit through to the carpet below. Probably do the job just fine in a limited use, fair weather car.

Here are some in orthobiz's 28K mile '74.

Nice! Period correct too!

They are available, with a coated backing on them - keeps the dirt from getting through to the carpet (which will wear it quickly). But, they do still shed fibers as they get older & are difficult to clean. I, personally, still prefer them and haven't been able to find a 2-piece substitute in other materials to fit a 914 without them being custom made.

They aren't 29.95 like they once were, but you can't buy a new Porsche for under $4k anymore either.
Pat
jonferns
or maybe you can get a "crappy" set of original 914 mats from someone parting out or something, then clean 'em up and put them over the "show" ones, and you dont have to worry about getting them dirty since they are messed up anyway...
Johny Blackstain
What about Sisal mats? Also period correct, no? Do they shed as much as Coco? Anyone?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 3 2007, 06:12 PM) *

What about Sisal mats? Also period correct, no? Do they shed as much as Coco? Anyone?

My experience with sisal mats is from long ago, but they seemed to disintegrate with the first rain. Not that cocoa mats were much better.

Quite frankly there are much better alternative mats today, most of which are fabric based on the top & coated on the bottom. Yeah, they may leave a little lint but you can get that up with a lint brush (adhesive type).

Look, for concours purposes, you can't have anything in the car from a mat standpoint. If it has to come out for judging, why not use a contemprary mat, even rubber, to protect that original carpet prior to an event?

Pat
Porsche Rescue
Click to view attachmentI agree with Pat. I have been very pleased with the plush carpet mats by Lloyds. Can't remember where I bought my last set. Many color choices and logo options. I bought these last summer.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 3 2007, 11:28 PM) *

I agree with Pat. I have been very pleased with the plush carpet mats by Lloyds. Can't remember where I bought my last set. Many color choices and logo options. I bought these last summer.

I have those in tan for the LE & love them as well. Not period correct or concours. They will look very nice in the six, on top of the new tan carpeting. Just wanted a concours acceptable substitute & I guess there is none. Rubber mats look & feel cheap on the bottom of your bare foot- yes, I like to drive barefoot. No, it's not legal to do so.

Is there such a thing as a factory floor mat?
ScooterD
Lloyds has quite a selection of coco mats as well as carpeted mats. They are not cheap, but they are very high quality with a very heavy rubber backing that protects the original floor mats. You can get them from Pelican Parts, you won't be disappointed except for your wallet.

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 3 2007, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 3 2007, 06:12 PM) *

My experience with sisal mats is from long ago, but they seemed to disintegrate with the first rain. Not that cocoa mats were much better.

Pat

I am a proponent for sisal mats. The set that I use in my 914 are original to the car (del. Apr. 1970) and haven't shed at all. They have served in winter (in its ealy use) and have been utilized in rainy weather as well. They have held up nicely, are of course genuinely "period" authentic and look appropriate for the rather spartan interior of a stock 914.

Sorry the pics aren't any better, but they do show a portion of the sisal mats and the condition of the original mats that they have protected these past 37 years.
tod914
I was looking into the cocoa mats too. The samples I received, shed a lot of fibers. The sisal I have in the 75 and are great. Think I will go that route again. Not much in color choices with the sisal, but seem way more durable.
Tom_T
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 10 2008, 05:39 PM) *

I was looking into the cocoa mats too. The samples I received, shed a lot of fibers. The sisal I have in the 75 and are great. Think I will go that route again. Not much in color choices with the sisal, but seem way more durable.

I've always preferred the plush/carpet mats over either coco or sisal - & I've had them all over the years since 12/75.

Aside from being more comfy while driving barefoot here in sunny SoCal - cuz the "slaps" get caught under the pedals (flip-flops, floppys, sandals, etc. to others) - the coco's & sisal's tear up & take the shine oof of the back/heel of your dress loafers!

When I finally get my `73 2L now sitting in the garage since 5/85, out & restored, I was looking at the Lloyd's next, which are available from many sources.

Does anyone know if they'll do a "Custom" embroidery of "914-2.0" - beyond what their on-line order system allows (only 914 or 914/6")? ...if so, then how? ....by phone order?

I always thought a custom layout of Porsche + model stacked but offset to each side to align them on the outsides, with "Porsche" & the model in different colors would look so Coooool - something like this:

driver-side:.............................................passenger-side:
left justify.......................................................right justify
P O R S C H E..............................................P O R S C H E
914-2.0...............................................................914-2.0

wub.gif

> (if I can get this type to line up right on the post - the periods between L&R are just used to space them out - pretend they're not there!!)
type.gif

In that scheme & with my my tan interior loop carpet - I would use a close color match of tan plush mats with matching edging & probably get "Porsche" in black or dark grey or silver, over a red, cardinal or maroon "914-2.0". & might even get them in tan for the trunks too - but then do I do L, R or center justify in the trunks.......hmmmmmm? idea.gif
tod914
Not all coco matts are created equal. These are a very high quality with no shedding from what I can tell. http://www.cocomats.com/

I had Sisal in my 75, German made. Zero shedding, but the dye faded on them. Nice alterative. Actually liked the weave pattern better.
zonedoubt
I just bought a set of Cocomats and am quite happy with them. There is a rubber pad at the driver's heel so no worry about premature wear.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Sep 4 2007, 05:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Sep 3 2007, 11:28 PM) *

I agree with Pat. I have been very pleased with the plush carpet mats by Lloyds. Can't remember where I bought my last set. Many color choices and logo options. I bought these last summer.

I have those in tan for the LE & love them as well. Not period correct or concours. They will look very nice in the six, on top of the new tan carpeting. Just wanted a concours acceptable substitute & I guess there is none. Rubber mats look & feel cheap on the bottom of your bare foot- yes, I like to drive barefoot. No, it's not legal to do so.

Is there such a thing as a factory floor mat?

Johny, I have the same color interior as yours in the pic above.... smile.gif

Do you have any leads or suggestions on finding a matching set of nice NOS or Repro/new or VG-Excl used OE loop pile driver & passenger floor mats for my early-73 2L's reso?? confused24.gif

...but when I bought it used back in 12/75 - it was missing the driver & passenger floor mats in that OE tan-&-brown speckled carpet, with std. black loop pile ones substututed instead (I think as a quick & cheap solution to a worn set of OE tan/brown-speckled for the PO/OO when they sold it).

Here's the mat behind the pass. seat on mine:

Click to view attachment

I'll also PM you this question without the pix, since I don't know how to insert pix at a PM??? dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.