Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: building an engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
Thinking about building an engine with my son.
Would like a decent performer (now I have a stock 75 1.8) but want it to be streetable and reliable.

what am I looking at price wise and performance wise?
I see everyone talking about how cheaop it is but it seems the kits everyone talks about are over $5,000? That seems a bit expensive for such a "simple" small engine.
I have built a couple of chevy small blocks before so I am willing to give it a go.
thanks, Matt
Joe Ricard
You will be lucky and good to do it for less than 2500
Brando
Look at maybe $2500-$3500 depending on if you do some small upgrades like 2-liter heads and/or 96mm pistons and cylinders.
jwalters
biggrin.gif It is very doable - give Nando (martinef1963) a PM from the Nando Build thread -

I am helping him do his up, and he bought a lot of stuff for upgrade - but I doubt the total engine bill came anywhere near 2500 - more like 1200, but talk to him, I know he told me a few times but he lucked out and got a full weber 40 IDF kit with all the bells and whistles (linkage, air cleaners, velocity stacks, all unused and brand new in the weber box) for like 500 bucks on ebay - machine work was I think 475 - oil pump, gaskets, cam, lifters, etc ---not that much $$$ really...

Good luck man, if you have done chevs you can certainly do a T4! beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
"simple" small engine
"simple" small engine

Lose that outlook on the engine or you'll be making a mistake by even starting the build process.

These engines are very simple by design, but small changes critically impact them, way more than other types of engines that are more complex in design.

We can help with the parts for this, you can do a rebuild with quality parts for around 2700.00 according to the condition of the heads.
LarryR
It is suprising but it adds up VERY quickly... sbc you bore out the cylinders and buy a new set of pistons... type IV you buy new pistons and cylinders ... .Just for starters.

I added it up recently and came up with a number very close to Raby I figured if I build a descent type IV I would spend 2650 in parts and since I will bow out to experience I figure he is more accurate.
Jake Raby
If one wants to do the job correctly, easily and as thoroughly as a professional my engine kit program can't be beaten!!

Getting every part to complete the longblock based on your old engine has benefits that most people can't appreciate until they have experienced it!

Spend it now or spend it later- either way it'll be spent..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.