Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to ID 911 boge struts ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
Oh, please 914 gods, I have a lead on some struts. The guy thinks it is from 1970 911. What color should they be ? The caliper spacing is 3". I have a 71 914 and want to upgrade to 5-lug, and want to use my new 914 Bilesteins in them. If the ball joints are different I can just replace the ones I have on my 71 to match the struts right ??

Let me know what you all think

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Mar 21 2007, 10:57 AM) *

Let me know what you all think

i'm not going to be much help here. my 911 boge's were black but of a much later year ('84) ...

personally, i'd go with a later 3.5" spacing ...
smile.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
The guy thinks it is from 1970 911. What color should they be ? The caliper spacing is 3". I have a 71 914 and want to upgrade to 5-lug, and want to use my new 914 Bilesteins in them. If the ball joints are different I can just replace the ones I have on my 71 to match the struts right ??

Boge's should be black.

For sure, the 3" spacing tells you they are Boges (unless they are a rare hydropneumatic strut.) barf.gif Your Billsteins should fit right in them.

These are by far my favorite strut for a narrow body 914 (Porsche thought so too as this is what they put on the 914-6). The M-Caliper and vented rotors will be perfect and not "too" overpowering for a stock set of rear calipers. You may want to recalibrate your proportioning valve.

Regarding ball joints, the 911 switched to the newer style ball joint prior to the 914 switching over. You will be able to tell by looking at the base of the struts in question. If they have a slit in the bottom, they are the old style and would mate up with your early 1971 ball joints. If not, you'll need to buy the later style ball joints for your 914 a-arms.
type47fan
Make sure you're aware of the difference between "struts" and "inserts". Check other threads for the previous discussions on the compatibility and configurations available.

Here's a picture of a driver side black BOGE strut with a red KONI insert from a '75 911S. The caliper spacing is 3.5". Late ball joints, "A" calipers. The numbers on the strut are "BOGE 1-0211-32-473-0, 911-341-041-00". The KONI reads "SPECIAL D, 82R 1943 010, MADE IN USA". These KONIs are toast.

I'm replacing the worn out KONIs with 914 spec BOGEs on my '76 914 V8 conversion. They should be fine for my cruisin' style of driving.

Thanks,
brp914
Bilstein - made for 911sc but going on my -6. note thickness of insert coming out of strut. the insert is actually upside-down, with the piston secured through the bottom of the strut with a rollpin.
913B
Thank you all who responded. I will see this weekend what the seller has. Wish me luck.

Ted
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.