Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rollbar mounts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jax914

I'm installing a bolt-in rollbar that was at least in the past certified for SCCA and the Rolex series (it still has a dozen different stickers on it...).

I've made up some plates and my intention is to cut out a spot for the bolts that protrude and then weld the whole plate to the long....the bar will then bolt in as designed.

The mounting plate on the bottom of the bar down tubes is 3x4. I've made my plates 8x5. they cover the entire inner width of the long and extend down about an inch. The longs are solid, so I'm not worried about weakness there.

Pictures...

Bottom -
IPB Image

Top -
IPB Image

Opinions?
Borderline
Looks gud. What gauge sheet is that? You might want to add a couple holes to weld thru to the longs like the reinforcing kits have. Look forward to seeing the finished product.
hedfurst
Impressive piece of metal work.
Is it an AutoPower bolt in?
Just so happens that I am roll cage-shopping myself.
How tight of a fit? What has to be removed for the cage to fit -if anything?
Will it alter the use of the targa top?
I'd love to see more pictures of the installation.
914forme
Here are mine they are over kill 3/16" steel Over 25 plug welds and seam welded, plus and engmann kit installed on hte logs. Mine are so clean that I did it all for stiffening. The roll bars lack in several areas One is porper pad mounts, and the other is cross car lower bar, you sould add one to keep the legs from pinching in on a side inpact.

Mine was formerly know as an autopower it is now my own design.
sww914
It looks really nice.
I would drill some holes in it for plug welds so it won't pull away from the long in the unfortunate circumstance that it becomes needed at some time.
914forme
the pictures finally loaded.

Nice work on the bolt plate, it would be better to have a setup that went down to the floor. and wrapped the logs in an you can do this with thinner metal and then add the top plate you made and weld it down, I would recommend a few plug welds as well as a continuos seam.

914forme
Here is what my plates look like. The first one is the primer I use Eastwood's Coroless for my primer. the next one is the final install you can see my lower cross bar added, makes the roll bar in to a complete hoop, and also ties in down at the center tunnel seat belt holes.

Don't forget the lock washers or you should safety wire the bolts.
Jax914
My plates are 3/32nds.

I like what you have there.....I think I'll adapt and add something similar. I have some 16 guage sheet so I can fashion up a scaled down engmann kit and add a subplate like that.

Thanks for the diagram! It's perfect and just what I needed to validate what I had in my head.

Troy
Jax914
I assume the lower bar adds some resistance to a side impact. Does it interfere with the stock seat operation? (Other than loosing a inch or so of adjustability?)

I like the look of yours.....

914forme
Yes that is exactly what it does. It will limit fulll seat travel in an straight postition, but I have to lean my seat back to get under the roof. With the helmet on anyway. And I pull the cushion out also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.