Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another tough question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
What is the original gasket material between the engine tin.

Not the rubber engine bay stuff, but the actual gasket material between each piece (If any) and the gasket between the tin and the fan shroud??

Rich
jwalters
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 21 2007, 11:05 PM) *

Not the rubber engine bay stuff, but the actual gasket material between each piece (If any) and the gasket between the tin and the fan shroud??

Rich

That would be the artist formally known as "AIR" .......

My gasket of choice "RTV"

biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 21 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Rich

First time I did mine, which was mid-70's, I bought all the factory pieces - which are black foam. Cost a bunch then. Seriously doubt they are still available.

Next time (mid-80's) I went to Sears (yeah, that's right) & bought black foam window insulation. Recollection is that it was about 1/4 inch, maybe 3/8's dense foam insulation. Worked well, doesn't show and, most importantly, has held up well.

There should be a piece between every piece of tin & mating surface. Probably best to use 3/8 where the tin mates with the blower housing. Just make sure it's the dense stuff.
r_towle
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 21 2007, 11:24 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Mar 21 2007, 10:05 PM) *

Rich

First time I did mine, which was mid-70's, I bought all the factory pieces - which are black foam. Cost a bunch then. Seriously doubt they are still available.

Next time (mid-80's) I went to Sears (yeah, that's right) & bought black foam window insulation. Recollection is that it was about 1/4 inch, maybe 3/8's dense foam insulation. Worked well, doesn't show and, most importantly, has held up well.

There should be a piece between every piece of tin & mating surface. Probably best to use 3/8 where the tin mates with the blower housing. Just make sure it's the dense stuff.

I was hoping that was the case, I planned to do that, just curious.

i tinker to much for RTv gasket....it would piss me off to much to take it apart yearly...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.