Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Climate Controls/Fan Qs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
Still trying to figure out everything on the 914 I've just been driving for the past year. I've searched the threads and read the Repair Manuals I have, but haven't found the following:

The Fan for for the Climate Control doesn't come on in I II III, possible causes?
Should the levers travel the complete distance of the three slots (the resistance appears to stop them short on both/either end depending on lever)?
Should the levers be aligned with each other when at either end (they don't quite line-up)?

Thanks!
Spoke
QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 22 2007, 03:16 AM) *

Still trying to figure out everything on the 914 I've just been driving for the past year. I've searched the threads and read the Repair Manuals I have, but haven't found the following:

The Fan for for the Climate Control doesn't come on in I II III, possible causes?
Should the levers travel the complete distance of the three slots (the resistance appears to stop them short on both/either end depending on lever)?
Should the levers be aligned with each other when at either end (they don't quite line-up)?

Thanks!

For the fan, check wires leading to the control, and wires from the control to the motor. If these are ok it's possible that the motor is siezed. My problem was the wires on my controller were disconnected.

The levers just channel air between the windshield vents and the lower footwell vents. It's normal for these not to go to the very end of the slots.

The black lever is for the fresh air intake (through the front mounted fan).

The red lever is for the heated air from the engine. The heated air is controlled by the little red lever down by the gear shift. Pulling this lever to the rear should open up the flapper valves under the engine to channel warm air into the cabin. When the red lever is all the way back, there's a helper fan in the engine compartment which should switch on.

Spoke
pbanders
You can pull out your ashtray and access the contacts for the fresh air blower without having to remove it from the dash. Use spray contact cleaner followed by DeOxit on the contacts. You can also check the voltage at the contacts with a DMM probe through this opening.
Heckler
I'll have to check the contacts in the dash and perhaps the blower to see if it's seized (is the blower particularly hard to get to/out?).

The helper fan operated by the red lever on the floor works well (though I think the passenger side of the ducting may be disconnected)...

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
To get to the fan, you have to pull the fresh air box in the center of the front trunk. To do that, you have to pull the fuel tank. There is no way around it.

Heckler
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 22 2007, 06:02 PM) *

To get to the fan, you have to pull the fresh air box in the center of the front trunk. To do that, you have to pull the fuel tank. There is no way around it.

I had a funny feeling that was the answer... Maybe I'll want/need to pull the fuel tank as I diagnose my faint fuel smell in the cabin... pinch.gif

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.