Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hubcentric Wheel diameter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
From what I gather, beginning in '73, the Hubs/Wheels were Hubcentric. What was the diameter (?82mm?). I imagine that, like current generation German autos, failure to get wheels that are at least this size (hubcentric rings can be used to adapt larger) will prevent being able to bolt them up, right?

Thanks!
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 21 2007, 11:29 PM) *

From what I gather, beginning in '73, the Hubs/Wheels were Hubcentric. What was the diameter (?82mm?). I imagine that, like current generation German autos, failure to get wheels that are at least this size (hubcentric rings can be used to adapt larger) will prevent being able to bolt them up, right?

Thanks!

I don't remember the exact year of the switch but 82 mm is too big for sure. It's "about" 72 mm. I don't remember the exact size but 72 is close. And yes, if the wheel you were using had too small of an opening they would not go over the hub-centric flange.
Tobra
I have some Mahles I neeed to get machined to fit my car(What you do when they are too small). Any reputable shops in this area?
Dave_Darling
Mahles should have the hub-centering relief already. Do you mean Pedrinis?

--DD
Heckler
OK, I went out and checked the 2.0L Fuch in the front trunk this morning... Though I couldn't find my damn calipers (found not one, note two, but three micrometers in varying sizes), I use a crappy standard ruler (the measurements from which I converted to metric) and came up with:

~57.15mm for the machined surface the center cap pops into
~79.375mm for what appears to be the hubcentric flanges (odd that they follow in the back size of the "spokes" of the Fuch and don't form a complete hubcentric ring on the wheel)...

So, it's looking like it might actually be 82mm??
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 22 2007, 09:37 AM) *

Mahles should have the hub-centering relief already. Do you mean Pedrinis?

--DD

agree.gif

only early pedrinis require this
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 22 2007, 03:26 PM) *

OK, I went out and checked the 2.0L Fuch in the front trunk this morning... Though I couldn't find my damn calipers (found not one, note two, but three micrometers in varying sizes), I use a crappy standard ruler (the measurements from which I converted to metric) and came up with:

~79.375mm for what appears to be the hubcentric flanges (odd that they follow in the back size of the "spokes" of the Fuch and don't form a complete hubcentric ring on the wheel)...

If you guys are talking Fuchs, you are not measuring correctly. Here is a hub-centric flange with a caliper set at 82 Perhaps you are measuring the first lip for the brake rotor hole which is over 80 mm
Click to view attachment
Tobra
oh yeah, pedrinis
Heckler
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Mar 22 2007, 06:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Heckler @ Mar 22 2007, 03:26 PM) *

If you guys are talking Fuchs, you are not measuring correctly. Here is a hub-centric flange with a caliper set at 82 Perhaps you are measuring the first lip for the brake rotor hole which is over 80 mm
Click to view attachment

Uh, I'm talking about 2.0L Fuchs, the 4x130 5.5jx15 variety...

Thanks!
Aaron Cox
they will fit ANY 914-4 front end. they were a 73 and later option, thus having the machining to clear the hub centric lip on the front rotor....

Heckler
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Mar 22 2007, 07:18 PM) *

they will fit ANY 914-4 front end. they were a 73 and later option, thus having the machining to clear the hub centric lip on the front rotor....

While they might fit ANY 914-4 front end, that hub above it not from an 914-4... Something about 5 lugs being the giveaway. That said, assuming the 4-lug and 5-lug have the same bug diameter, I'd love to see those calipers closed and to give me a reading (cause I still can't find mine)...

Thanks!
andys
I was told by a wheel adapter manufacturer that the hubcentric bore diameter in the adapter is 71.5mm, which supposedly fits my '89 Carrera hubs. I can measure my adapters to end the doubt if useful. Don't know about the 4 lug stuff.

Andys
Heckler
Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear in my original question...

Rotor from ’73->’76 914-4, with hubcentric ring (the outer one)

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/N100020115ZIM.JPG

Rotor from ’70->’72 914-4, without (and I don't believe they are interchangeable, '70->'72 can't use '73->'76 without other changes and vise-versa)…

http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/N100020114ZIM.JPG

So... Does anybody know the diameter of the '73->'76 front rotor hubcentric ring?

Thanks!
Gint
I'll go out and measure my junk first thing tomorrow morning.

Heckler, what's your name?

Sorry, I was out all day with Shar shopping, car show, lunch, brews, that sort of day. I read your PM. I haven't tried the Superlite on the front of a 914 yet. But both of my /4s are 74 models. I'll pull a Fuchs off the front of the yellow car and measure the hub ring and also the Superlite.
Heckler
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 31 2007, 06:39 PM) *

I'll go out and measure my junk first thing tomorrow morning.

Heckler, what's your name?

Sorry, I was out all day with Shar shopping, car show, lunch, brews, that sort of day. I read your PM. I haven't tried the Superlite on the front of a 914 yet. But both of my /4s are 74 models. I'll pull a Fuchs off the front of the yellow car and measure the hub ring and also the Superlite.

Much appreciated!

Dave is the name.

You were having a life? Who authorized that?!?!?

I know the rear rotors/hubs don't have this "hubcentric ring", so like my '98 BMW M3, it's basically for assistance in mounting the wheel until you get lug-centricity and get them torqued-down, but the asked Pack Racing and they tell me the Superlite wheels have a hub diameter of 73.15mm diameter and from what I can tell (still haven't found my calipers, going to go borrow my Father's tomorrow), this ring is ~80->82...? =Small problem (no pun intended)...

I also checked with nick minorov since he's done the Superlites as well; but, while he's got a '75, he's also got the billet hubs that he purchased from the Club. Being a newbie, I don't know anything these billet hubs or where they would be procured from and whether they would change/delete this ring on the rotor (don't see how it would unless it lets you run some OTHER type of rotor...).

Since this ring appears to be part of the Rotor, are there any non-Zimmerman rotor options that wouldn't have this ring? The '70->'72 don't have this ring, but I don't believe they're compatible with a '73->76, right? Also curious about vented (and maybe drilled/slotted, though I know that can lend itself to cracking) rotors...

Thanks!
Dave
i love porsche
what exactly do you have to do to pedrinis to make them fit the later hub?
Gint
OK Dave...

I just did a quick measurement of the Superlite center hole. I couldn't get my caliper inside the wheel to get a really accurate measurement, but on the back side of the wheel the center hole is at least 83mm. That's a conservative measurement.
Gint
And the OD of the wheel centering "ring" on my 74 front rotor is 78.5mm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.