Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Sail Panel Trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Heckler
Need to prepare for painting, it's pretty obvious for all of it expect for the one on the side of the car at the bottom of the sail panel w/o breaking it? Am I missing the obvious?

Thanks!
tomamafone
as far as i know it's just held in with little springgy clips. pry it off gently with a flathead screwdriver. try to get as close to the clips as possible when prying. that'll decrese your chance of breakage. happy painting!
Heckler
QUOTE(tomamafone @ Mar 22 2007, 12:49 AM) *

as far as i know it's just held in with little springgy clips. pry it off gently with a flathead screwdriver. try to get as close to the clips as possible when prying. that'll decrese your chance of breakage. happy painting!

Are the springy clips attached to the back side of the panel or are the going to fall somewhere...?
tomamafone
they're attached to the metal strip by sliding in the end of the strip. you're safe to just pull em off.
autohausdolby
Anyone got a photo of a sail trim equipped car with the trim removed?
1970 Neun vierzehn
Pics with the vinyl removed during restoration......hope this can help.
crash914
there is a nut under the fender that holds the spring thingy in place also...just took off mine...
JamesBernard
i'm in the process of replacing mine right now, and i had to just replace them. they're not that much money anyway.
and i'd get pretty pissed trying to get them off without bending them at all..
good luck though!
RustyWa
Can't you just reach up in the fender wheel, clean the crud from around the spring clip and pinch it closed with your fingers, then push it out? I think that is how I did mine, but it was a long time ago.
autohausdolby
That's great, thanks! What diameter are the fixing holes? Some genius has welded them up on my car.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(autohausdolby @ Mar 25 2007, 06:18 AM) *

That's great, thanks! What diameter are the fixing holes? Some genius has welded them up on my car.

haus, the holes are 3/8" and there should be 4 of them....

Click to view attachment

Here's the chrome strip with the attachements...

Click to view attachment

Here's a close up...

Click to view attachment

-- Rob
pfierb
What are you painting the sail panels with ?
autohausdolby
Super, thanks!
watsonrx13
QUOTE(pfierb @ Mar 25 2007, 06:38 PM) *

What are you painting the sail panels with ?

I've already laid down a single stage paint, the masking is for the sail panel vinyl I got from Camp914....

-- Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.